Drugs and alcohol

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Drugs and alcohol

Postby xpansion » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:16 am

I've heard ET discuss addiction but he hasn't said anything about moderate drug and alcohol use. Would ET enjoy a glass of wine occasionally or socially? Personally I found myself drinking a couple of glasses of wine each night and I felt uncomfortable doing this after many years as there was some fear that it would progress into full blown alcoholism and so I have recently stopped drinking but I do enjoy wine. Also many cultures have used various substances ritually since ancient times. I know this is different to getting wrecked every weekend at a disco but what are your thoughts and views on occasional mind altering substance ingestion?
xpansion

Re: Drugs and alcohol

Postby evelynd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 am

I believe it is in A New Earth he states that use of Alcohol takes you "below thought" rather than "above thought" and it is best to avoid. Now nowhere do I find anything about moderate use of anything
unless it is used as an escape or as a means to shortcut a process. If used in this way the effect is only temporary, so best not for that reason.
I find as I go on I do not want to drink as I used to. So I figure it will take care of itself.
evelynd

Postby Onceler » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:06 am

Definitely moderation....on the rare side. You can quickly build up a tolerance to drugs and alcohol and need more and more. Occasional usage allows a resetting of neurotransmitters and greater enjoyment when you use....I'm doing this with caffeine now, resetting my tolerance.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby epiphany55 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:46 am

I enjoy a drink and the odd puff. Nature has given us many treasures (and I mean fresh from the earth) with which to explore the depths of the mind.

Psychoactive substances can open doors to certain cognitive processes that aren't available when sober. This is why creative folk (artists, musicians, poets etc.) are often drawn to the world of recreational drugs. A friend with whom I play music has written some heart achingly beautiful, deeply introspective songs while high on Xanax. Heck, a lot of your favourite music will probably have been written while high on something. I'm not saying we NEED it, but certain drugs seems to "unlock" hidden potential in the creative and contemplative mind, allowing you to explore concepts from a completely new angle. They can enrich one's life, but clearly there is a fine line between experimentation and dependency. You don't want to become a slave to addictive impulses in the same way you don't want to be a slave to your mind.

Most reported experiences with MDMA I read/hear are highly positive and actually change one's perspective of life when sober. The general theme tends to be unconditional love. How can we demonise a substance that, if taken moderately, can open the door to such profound experiences?

The most dangerous drugs, in my opinion, are the highly hallucinatory ones such as acid, LSD, mushrooms... people do some really stupid stuff when high on these. They lose all sense of reality and, while you can have the trip of a lifetime, many will simply end up cowering in one corner of the room while they watch the universe gets sucked into the other!

Alcohol is probably the least "productive" and one of the most dangerous of all the drugs, yet it's the one that is legal :roll:

Well, there is one thing alcohol is good for, and it's probably best summed up in this sketch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zj50DmBFp0
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.
epiphany55

Postby evelynd » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:02 am

Xanax does not make one high, it lessens anxiety and worry. It is an anti anxiety drug and highly addictive.. Anything as addictive as Xanax can be dangerous. Tolle said he used LSD once and it was way too intense and it was temporary.

Again , looking for creativity in drugs , in my opinion is not a good thing. Using drugs in very moderate amounts to get high does not do much harm again in my opinion. If they become a lifestyle... that is a problem.

I was around many people in the recording industry who took drugs and thought they were brilliant. Some were, some were not. These same people when they quit doing drugs ....some were brilliant....some were not. unfortunately some got lost along the way and they were the ones who kept doing the drugs. I did drugs, and also thought I was brilliant.... I was not. I don't use now and am still not brilliant but I am awake.
evelynd

Postby terryslaws » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:33 am

That's an interesting point of view Evelynd. I've always felt that doing drugs to get that ‘other’ level of thought was a risk. As you said Xanax is one of the most addictive prescription meds widely used, as seen in most dual diagnosis cases.

Just like you, I too felt that I played, worked and was more outgoing with people when I was high. The truth is that we only think that we are better when high. Others might not feel the same way, or might even get surprised by our sudden changes in behavior. I used to take a lot of oxytocin, got addicted, and had a tough time finding a good rehab for treating my dual diagnosis.I eventually got dragged to a rehab my friends found on a rehab center review site called Canada Rehab Reviews. Been sober since. Doing drugs is simply not worth it.
terryslaws

Postby DavidB » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 am

In a video (can't remember which one) Eckhart states that he sometimes drinks a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and also drinks coffee occasionally.

If I find the video I'll post it.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to Questions