How to have more faith and be passionate?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How to have more faith and be passionate?

Postby fortune » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 am

How do I have more faith and believe more in myself and things I want to accomplish. I feel like I seriously lack faith. when you work hard for something you believe that your hard work will pay off but too many setbacks can cause a lack of faith. I don't want to feel held back by my thoughts and doubt my abilities. An old native American proverb sums it up by saying "it's easy to be brave from a distance". Sometimes I feel I lack faith that hard work pays off. I don't want to feel as if I can't do something. I want to be passionate about life and not always have a it is what it is mentality accept whats given. Spiritual teachers such as Eckhart Tolle have helped me out a lot but I feel I need to develop a new way of perceiving things.

Desirelessness is something that a lot of spiritual teachers talk about but I miss "really" wanting something and the enjoyment I gain from trying to accomplish my goal but I feel spirituality has conditioned myself to be to passive and I feel very split. I almost feel like it's a bad thing to have an ego. when you look at top level sportsmen you see they were so driven to accomplish their goal and I feel I need to have more fire in the belly. I just feel I lack passion because I don't "believe" I can do it and because of that I feel i'm not really living.
fortune

Re: How to have more faith and be passionate?

Postby Phil2 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:23 pm

fortune wrote:How do I have more faith and believe more in myself and things I want to accomplish. I feel like I seriously lack faith. when you work hard for something you believe that your hard work will pay off but too many setbacks can cause a lack of faith.

When you do what you like, can it be called 'hard work' ... hard work results from efforts, and efforts are needed only when you resist what you are doing ... when there is no passion ...

Moreover when you do what you love, you are not so much driven by results or expectations or 'rewards', you don't create time, you can remain in presence, attentive and aware ... it could be called an action without intention ...
Last edited by Phil2 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Onceler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:54 pm

fortune wrote:How do I have more faith and believe more in myself and things I want to accomplish. I feel like I seriously lack faith. when you work hard for something you believe that your hard work will pay off but too many setbacks can cause a lack of faith. I don't want to feel held back by my thoughts and doubt my abilities. An old native American proverb sums it up by saying "it's easy to be brave from a distance". Sometimes I feel I lack faith that hard work pays off. I don't want to feel as if I can't do something. I want to be passionate about life and not always have a it is what it is mentality accept whats given. Spiritual teachers such as Eckhart Tolle have helped me out a lot but I feel I need to develop a new way of perceiving things.

Desirelessness is something that a lot of spiritual teachers talk about but I miss "really" wanting something and the enjoyment I gain from trying to accomplish my goal but I feel spirituality has conditioned myself to be to passive and I feel very split. I almost feel like it's a bad thing to have an ego. when you look at top level sportsmen you see they were so driven to accomplish their goal and I feel I need to have more fire in the belly. I just feel I lack passion because I don't "believe" I can do it and because of that I feel i'm not really living.

I believe fear keeps us removed, dispassionate. As we lose our fear of life, the distance from our lives shortens, until there are moments when we merge with our life, no space. The moment expands until it feels that it encompasses the past and the future. Life is felt with the intensity. The beauty and the brutality are felt equally without fear as we open and shorten our proximity.

This doesn't happen all at once, in my experience, but the numbness fades for bursts of intensity that are also felt with peace, because that is how life is supposed to be experienced and lived. Life comes at you hard, but softly too. We have protected, inoculated ourselves, or have been taught to protect and withdrawal, from this experience of life and our emergence into life is something we have to ease into, adjust our nervous systems to. Be easy with yourself and recognize those moments of peaceful intensity for what they are and enjoy them.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby epiphany55 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:30 am

I can relate to the enjoyment of experiencing desire and making efforts to fulfil it. But the point I think a lot of teachers make is that you have to accept the other side of the mindset that thrives on desire. While desire is great when you can fulfil it, pain is created when you can't get what you want, or you lose something you desired to have. And this can redefine desire in ways you weren't even aware of when you were chasing the gold.

As long as you can accept both sides of the desire coin, the glory, the pain, treat it as a game. But don't identify with it as many do and feel your life is DEFINED by the game. Always have that purity and stillness of being the awareness OF desire to rest back into when things don't pan out.
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.
epiphany55

Return to Questions