Inner body

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Inner body

Postby xpansion » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 am

Im still not really sure what ET means when he speaks of the inner body. I dont feel much at all apart from the occasional itch, tingle or pain. He speaks of it as though its this easy thing just do whenever but I have great difficulty being aware of just these occasional sensations let alone an "inner body". I wish he would speak more about what this actually is or feels like. He says there is a "sense of aliveness" but still this is kind of vague. Am i meant to be feel a physical sensation or what? Maybe Im understanding it wrong? Can someone please explain it a bit more in layman's terms.
xpansion
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 am

Re: Inner body

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:09 pm

xpansion wrote:Im still not really sure what ET means when he speaks of the inner body. I dont feel much at all apart from the occasional itch, tingle or pain. He speaks of it as though its this easy thing just do whenever but I have great difficulty being aware of just these occasional sensations let alone an "inner body". I wish he would speak more about what this actually is or feels like. He says there is a "sense of aliveness" but still this is kind of vague. Am i meant to be feel a physical sensation or what? Maybe Im understanding it wrong? Can someone please explain it a bit more in layman's terms.


ok let's go into your question.

When you close your eyes, you don't see your body any more, but you feel this body, right ?

You can feel your arms, your legs, your heart beat, your breath, your stomach gurgles, inner sounds in your ears (maybe tinitus) etc ... you can also feel some tensions in some parts of your body: arms, shoulders, stomach mainly ... all this is your inner body ... it is NOT conceptual, it is an experience, a feeling ...

Now when you are more and more calm and quiet, when all tensions dissipates, eg. during a relaxation or meditation session, you can also feel some inner energy, which is very subtle and therefore does not appear to you when you are excited or nervous or thinking too much, distracted ... you can only access this inner energy in stillness and attention and presence ...

Maybe the main question I would ask to you is this one: can you feel your heart beat ? Is it possible for you to count your heart beats without having to take your pulse ? I know that some persons are so tense that they don't even feel their heart ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Inner body

Postby xpansion » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:08 am

Phil2 wrote:
ok let's go into your question.

When you close your eyes, you don't see your body any more, but you feel this body, right ?

You can feel your arms, your legs, your heart beat, your breath, your stomach gurgles, inner sounds in your ears (maybe tinitus) etc ... you can also feel some tensions in some parts of your body: arms, shoulders, stomach mainly ... all this is your inner body ... it is NOT conceptual, it is an experience, a feeling ...


I wouldn't have said this is an "inner body", I would just say its my body, the same body I have when eyes are open but now with eyes closed Im just focusing on whatever sensations are occurring.

Phil2 wrote:
Now when you are more and more calm and quiet, when all tensions dissipates, eg. during a relaxation or meditation session, you can also feel some inner energy, which is very subtle and therefore does not appear to you when you are excited or nervous or thinking too much, distracted ... you can only access this inner energy in stillness and attention and presence ...

Maybe the main question I would ask to you is this one: can you feel your heart beat ? Is it possible for you to count your heart beats without having to take your pulse ? I know that some persons are so tense that they don't even feel their heart ...


I dont feel this apparent inner energy and I dont feel my heart beat unless I put my hand there or feel my pulse however, I am not tense.
xpansion
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 am

Re: Inner body

Postby Phil2 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:57 am

xpansion wrote:I dont feel this apparent inner energy and I dont feel my heart beat unless I put my hand there or feel my pulse however, I am not tense.


ok maybe you could start from there ... be attentive when you can feel your heart without putting your hand ... maybe when you run (heart beating fast), or when there is an emotional reaction (such as anger or fear) or maybe when you are in bed, in a near sleep state ...

Then little by little you will be able to feel your heart in all normal circumstances ... this 'heart feeling' is the inner body ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Inner body

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:21 am

xpansion wrote:Im still not really sure what ET means when he speaks of the inner body. I dont feel much at all apart from the occasional itch, tingle or pain. He speaks of it as though its this easy thing just do whenever but I have great difficulty being aware of just these occasional sensations let alone an "inner body".

Xpansion, the inner body is a concept of experiential/emotional/conditioned perspective - much of it somewhat unconscious. It is a concept towards understanding certain aspects of our human beingness that works well for some, not so much for others. If you're having difficulty getting a sense of it, then let it go. It's unnecessary for your continued growth and evolution. I don't relate to it particularly well either so I moved on to explore other avenues in consideration of consciousness. There are other ways have been quite productive in the growth of clarity and understanding. It's really not the only game in town.

WW
User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 6279
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am


Return to Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests