Problems with "Not Having Problems"

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Problems with "Not Having Problems"

Postby ClarityofMoment » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:05 am

Virtually, I have no problems, on the external level or inner level. I'm completely content with my life situation, as it could never be better. I now know myself, and I'm realizing myself more and more as each day passes. However, it's odd to have all my ducks in a row, you could say. It's almost unthinkable to me, and I have an undying appreciation for this, but I don't want this to turn into something that it is not, which is a problem lol. I don't want to self-sabotage myself. I know I'm worthy of this, as is everyone else, but at the same time, I feel like if I let my "guard" down, something will "happen" and I'll be thrown back into the anxiety/OCD riddled I created once before. Is what I'm saying making sense? Lol. I'm more or less, wondering how I go about dealing with my newfound peace and joy, as I've "forgotten" or "lost touch" with how it felt to be truly aligned and at One with myself, because I've experienced how I'm feeling now in the past, I just wasn't "conscious" of it.
"Pervading all that it reaches,
effortless with gentle equality,
the highest mountain, you are there
the lowest valley, you are there,
where I am, you are there,
where you are, I am there"
ClarityofMoment

Re: Problems with "Not Having Problems"

Postby Phil2 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:39 am

ClarityofMoment wrote:Virtually, I have no problems, on the external level or inner level. I'm completely content with my life situation, as it could never be better. I now know myself, and I'm realizing myself more and more as each day passes. However, it's odd to have all my ducks in a row, you could say. It's almost unthinkable to me, and I have an undying appreciation for this, but I don't want this to turn into something that it is not, which is a problem lol. I don't want to self-sabotage myself. I know I'm worthy of this, as is everyone else, but at the same time, I feel like if I let my "guard" down, something will "happen" and I'll be thrown back into the anxiety/OCD riddled I created once before. Is what I'm saying making sense? Lol. I'm more or less, wondering how I go about dealing with my newfound peace and joy, as I've "forgotten" or "lost touch" with how it felt to be truly aligned and at One with myself, because I've experienced how I'm feeling now in the past, I just wasn't "conscious" of it.

There seems to be a contradiction between saying "I now know myself" and "I don't want to self-sabotage myself." ...

If you 'know' yourself, then you also 'know' that there can be nothing to be "self-sabotaged" ?

Are you sure you really know yourself ?

??

WHO is the 'knower' and WHAT is it that is 'known' ?
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:32 am

Phil2 wrote:WHO is the 'knower' and WHAT is it that is 'known' ?

The 'who' is the same one who would, and could, consider the answer. The 'known' is the recognition of being.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Phil2 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:44 am

Webwanderer wrote:
Phil2 wrote:WHO is the 'knower' and WHAT is it that is 'known' ?

The 'who' is the same one who would, and could, consider the answer. The 'known' is the recognition of being.

WW

So could we say it is 'being' knowing 'being' ... or awareness knowing awareness ... or presence knowing presence ...

But 'knowing' is not used here as something that happened in the past and that we 'know' or 'recognize' because we have already seen it, something we have 'memorized' from the past ... 'knowing' means here 'to be aware of' in the present moment ... not as a 're-cognition' ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Onceler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Maybe problems were never really problems......just interesting challanges, permutations of the massive ebb and flow, tidal shifts, storms that we have to take shelter from or head out to sea.

Guess I'm feeling nautical this morning..
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Phil2 wrote:So could we say it is 'being' knowing 'being' ... or awareness knowing awareness ... or presence knowing presence ...

Sure, from a philosophical point of view that is inclusive of some sense of an infinite Oneness. But who actually lives there from a conscious perspective in this human reality? From a practical, living here and now presence, we live through mental constructs and belief systems. They are not wrong even though they can be painful when perceived as the only reality; and that is worth remembering when we suggest that there is also a greater reality to consider.

If the philosophy was the human reality (and experience is reality), we would all know each others thoughts and emotions from an experiential perspective. Such is not the case with possibly rare exceptions.

But 'knowing' is not used here as something that happened in the past and that we 'know' or 'recognize' because we have already seen it, something we have 'memorized' from the past ... 'knowing' means here 'to be aware of' in the present moment ... not as a 're-cognition' ...

Re-cognition is necessary in the awakening from thought identification that you so often encourage when you suggest to others that they consider 'who'. When one realizes they are not who they 'think they are' there is a re-cognition that they are conscious perspective being human - or at least that is one possibility. There remains however a sense of personal self, a unique perspective in the greater beingness among infinite unique perspectives that are both one with all and unique as self - like facets on an infinite diamond yet one at their/our common Essence.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby viking55803 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:57 pm

If you live long enough, life will challenge you in ways you can scarcely imagine. The earlier poster asked the right questions - are these "problems" or challenges? Death of loved ones, serious health issues, loss of status, conflict at home or at work - all part of life. I've been through deep emotional and physical pain in the past few years, but suffering is, as ET says - a great teacher.
viking55803

Postby ria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:19 pm

ClarityofMoment wrote:Virtually, I have no problems, on the external level or inner level. I'm completely content with my life situation, as it could never be better.

So, you're on the upswing, that's great. However, the downswing will follow, at some point, it always does. You don't have to make this a problem, just enjoy the upswing while it's here and when the downswing comes deal with it as best you can. We can't grab hold of having no problems (or challenges) and expect it to last, they come and they go....
ria

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:12 pm

ria wrote:So, you're on the upswing, that's great. However, the downswing will follow, at some point, it always does. You don't have to make this a problem, just enjoy the upswing while it's here and when the downswing comes deal with it as best you can. We can't grab hold of having no problems (or challenges) and expect it to last, they come and they go....

Agreed ria. The human experience is about contrast, exploration, and challenges. As long as we don't make the 'downswings' a big deal and wrong in our perception, we can work with them clearly in consciousness and get back on the upswing in short order. Welcome to the forum.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby ria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:27 pm

After posting here, I went to the store and on my way driving there I past a man walking with his head hanging down, wearing a sign around his neck that said, "need work". I had no cash on me to stop and give to him, but thought "he's on the downswing".
ria

Postby Phil2 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:16 am

ria wrote:After posting here, I went to the store and on my way driving there I past a man walking with his head hanging down, wearing a sign around his neck that said, "need work". I had no cash on me to stop and give to him, but thought "he's on the downswing".

Well obviously what this man needed was not work ... but money or more exactly food and probably shelter ...

We live in an hypocritical society where it is considered shameful to beg for money or food ... this is not the case in many other cultures eg. Asian culture where begging is not considered shameful (many Buddhist monks beg for their food and people consider it as an opportunity for their karma to help monks by giving them offerings) ... this is due to our 'materialistic' approach based on material exchange: I give you food or money IF you give me your work, this is 'conditional' (there is a 'IF') ... so we always have to 'merit' things by our own actions, we learn this very early at school, when we do the 'right' things, what others expect from us, then we are rewarded ... this could be called 'conditional love': I love you BECAUSE you do what I tell you, else I reject you or punish you ... this is not 'unconditional love' which is 'I love you for what you ARE ' (not for what you 'DO' or don't do) ... therefore we have learned very early to 'cheat' and adopt attitudes expected by others, to conform to the rules, which is the hypocrisy in which we live, we wear 'masks', a social 'facade' ... there is no truth in this, we are not 'real' ... we become alien to ourselves, second-hand persons ... hence all the neuroses of our time ... there is no consistency between what we think, what we say and what we do ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby ria » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:31 am

... there is no consistency between what we think, what we say and what we do ...

Phil,

You seem passionate about what you wrote, out of curiosity, how many people are you personally feeding and sheltering at this time to show your unconditional love?
ria

Postby Phil2 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 am

ria wrote:
... there is no consistency between what we think, what we say and what we do ...

Phil,

You seem passionate about what you wrote, out of curiosity, how many people are you personally feeding and sheltering at this time to show your unconditional love?

Sorry dear friend, but there is no need to 'show' or 'prove' your unconditional love and compassion ... whenever you 'show' it, ego has come back by the backdoor ... you are just looking for rewards and social recognition ... you just feed your ego by yet another 'socially acceptable' behaviour ...

True charity remains hidden ... and begins at home ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby ria » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm going to take that as a "no". You do not feed or shelter anyone,I don't either, except my family. But, I didn't write the post you did either, judging society.
ria

Postby Phil2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:20 am

ria wrote:I'm going to take that as a "no". You do not feed or shelter anyone,I don't either, except my family. But, I didn't write the post you did either, judging society.

You are making a confusion between a 'judgement' and a mere statement of facts ... seeing 'what is' is not a judgement ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Next

Return to Questions