Dear Eckhart,

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Dear Eckhart,

Postby barbarasher » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:01 pm

I just received the Eckhart Teachings Newsletter Issue No. 5 and have submitted a question. It says that only one to three of the total number of questions received each quarter will be answered.

I am posting my email here in the hope that maybe some of your can address the issue.

I would like to thank you so much ahead of time since you all have always been so helpful.

The following is the email:

Yes, I have been living in a self-made world of thoughts and doing. I have overcome, serious and repeated problems and become very successful in a variety endeavors to which I put my mind (business, sports, family, friends). That is how I know that the external world (whether I perceive it as good or bad) is not IT.

The IT lies inside me. Your material speaks to me so loudly (though you advocate listening to stillness, ha, ha!) that I find myself yelling Yeah!, Yes!, That's Me! to the CD player.

I am afraid that once I fully delve into the now, that I will find a pit of the soul or a depression (that I have never had previously) that has been covered up by all the dealing with problems and then all the striving for success. I am afraid that once I stop all the activity (mind or otherwise), that I will "find myself" and it will be a sad self.

Sincerely,
barbarasher

Postby Clare » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi Barbara,

My perspective on what you wrote is that you still seem to be thinking yourself into a corner. :) If I drop my thoughts I will find a sad person underneath... all of this is a thought.

I don't know if this will help but....When I first started to practice presence, fear was a very powerful persuasion that the ego tried to pull on me to get me to keep thinking, to keep itself alive.

I started to understand my ego as, not a child, but in fact a bad parent: I was getting ready to leave the nest, but it had spent it's whole life taking care of me there - what would it be without me? So, like a bad parent, it started to threaten any time I let myself think:

"You'll be nothing without me."
"You just wait when you really find out what it's like without me to take care of you. You'll be sorry. "
"But I've done everything for you. You won't have a clue how to take care of yourself. You'll be vulnerable out there. Don't go. Stay here. This is just a phase you are going through."

It wants to survive. I had identified my reality with my ego totally (stll do sometimes, but I am more conscious of it). Ultimately, I feel, when faced,
it is almost like a fear of death.

Except the thing that dies is not us at all.
I'd say that who you are when the thoughts and the projections fall away is you....truly you, and that can only be perfect - whatever that is It's the ego that makes us sad, or at least, it makes us think whatever we are is not a good thing, is bad.

Love, Clare
Clare

Postby heidi » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:23 pm

Hi Barbara - Isn't it funny that here in a discussion of the Power of Now, you are projecting into a future that doesn't exist? :)

Somebody here posted a good quote about that. Worrying about something is like paying interest on a loan you may never take.

I find that the more present I am, the more fulfilled and joyous I am. I remember just one time, right after the US presidential election, I had deep grief, worry for the world and environment. It was the only time in my life when I experienced a grief so deep that it was there even in meditation, in presence. It was truly of the heart, as though Gaia itself was grieving, so I just let it be there and let it have its way. I observed it and recognized it and honored it. I learned from it, and good things came of it. From that experience I became all the more less dualistic! Ha ha, how's that for a turn of phrase? Since then, I have experienced ever more joy and ecstacy in my daily life. It helped me to be less judging and more understanding. All really is one. No mind is where we all are one; no mind is divine as we are one with the essence of isness.

I'm writing a book right now, and one of the many universal messages of it is about how we create our reality by our attitudes. At one point she realizes that what she thought were obstacles were actually stepping stones :)

Or as Wayne Dyer said, Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.

I'm willing to bet that when you strip away all of the mind-made stuff, you'll find yourself all the more open to recognizing and recieving those wonderful sychronicities and gifts that are right there for you, right now. :)

Oh ya, and what Clare said, too about that pesky ego :twisted:
HTH-H
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:03 am

Hi Barbara,
good question. I am curious to hear what Eckhart's answer will be.

I wasn't aware that there was a newsletter and am wondering if you can post it? I would like to read it.
summer

Newsletter

Postby barbarasher » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:03 am

Thank you so much Clare and Heidi.

Heidi, good luck with your book. Can you tell us where and when we can to buy? I am sure that it will be very interesting and helpful.

Regarding the newsletter, I signed up for it on his site. Here it is.

Issue No. 5 April 2005

Eckhart Teachings Newsletter

http://www.eckharttolle.com

Namaste Barbara,

It’s been six months (of calendar time) since we’ve printed the last issue of Eckhart Teachings Newsletter. We received many inquiries wondering when the next issue would be released, and they reminded me of one occasion when Eckhart began his talk by sitting silently on a padded folding chair, gazing at the hundreds of people seated in front of him! . Two or three silent minutes would pass by, then another minute and another minute. It left many of us with a feeling of anticipation turning to restlessness, then to impatience. Was he ever going to speak? Did everyone pay their good hard earned money to watch a man sit silently in a chair and gaze? Finally, everyone was relieved as his lips parted and he began to open his mouth. At first, no words came. Then, in a quiet and slow tone, he said:

“Welcome. Have you been waiting for me to start speaking? The more restless you became just now, the more identified you were with your mind. One of the main activities of the human mind is waiting for or anticipating the next moment. We are here to step out of the waiting game. A new state of consciousness arises when you let go of the psychological need for the next moment, for the future. You don’t find life in the next moment. Life and now are one.”

Since the printing of our! last newsletter, my wish for us all has been: living or at least practicing the power of now and not waiting for anything to occur – money, relationship, enlightenment. Life can only be lived Now!

We invite you to view Eckhart Tolle’s new website, http://www.eckharttolle.com. We also encourage and look forward to your opinions, suggestions and feedback about Eckhart’s new web site. Please forward your feedback to: info@eckharttolle.com.

Since Eckhart’s last retreat in! November 2004 in Costa Rica (which, in my opinion, was one of the best retreats Eckhart has given), he remains mostly in Vancouver, diligently writing his third book A New Earth, due to be released in the fall 2005. He has also given several interviews for publications in North America and Europe. In Costa Rica, at the end of the retreat, Eckhart for the first time gave a public talk in Spanish. (Soon to be made available on CD and DVD). Talks will then be available in three languages, English, German and Spanish.

Eckhart Teachings is intending to publish a quarterly newsletter (March, June, September and December). While Eckhart is taking a break from traveling and teaching, we have created an alternative way for you to connect with him. The quarterly newsletter will contain an exciting new addition: a “Dear Eckhart” section. We invite you to submit your question in writing to info@eckharttolle.com (subject heading “Dear Eckhart”) and Eckhart may answer your question through the newsletter. Please note that only one to three of the total number of questions received each quarter will be answered.

As you may recall from our last newsletter, we had asked for your inspiring story of how Eckhart’s teaching and The Power of Now had transformed your lives. Here, included in this issue is such a story by one reader of The Power of Now. If you would like to tell us your inspiring story, please email it to info@eckharttolle.com, subject line “Inspiring Story” and we may include it in our next newsletter.

Also included in this edition of the newsletter are two questions that were recently asked Eckhart as part of an interview by a German newspaper.

Warmest Wishes,
Kim Eng

Interview Questions with Eckhart Tolle
As part of an interview by a German newspaper

Q: Is it wrong for us to cherish the memory of good things that happened in the past, or to hope for a better future?

ET: I wouldn’t say it is wrong, but to believe that memories and hope are all you have left is certainly an error. What about the Now? “Ah, the Now is terrible!” For many people, the Now is obscured by a veil of mental concepts which they confuse with the Now. “I am lonely, p! oor, ill, a failure...” These are all mental concepts, stories that I tell myself or others. The Now can only be found beyond concepts, as the “isness” of this moment: breathing in, breathing out, looking, listening. The furniture in the room, noises coming in from outside; a dog is barking, a child is crying, the wind is moving the branches of the tree. Perhaps I even notice the stillness between the sounds and feel the aliveness in my body. Here’s the “narrow gate” of Now. I am beginning to awaken from the stream of thought, the dream thought.

Q: Most people don’t even realize that they always live in the past and future. How do we realize that we are not present?

ET: Ask yourself frequently: what is my mind thinking about? This question makes you alert and you suddenly notice that you are thinking about past or futur! e. Noticing what you are thinking about is becoming present. Before you were your thoughts, now you are the alertness, the consciousness behind your thoughts as well as behind the emotions. For this consciousness, time does not exist. It is eternal presence. It is the inner dimension of depth.

Inspirational Quotes by Eckhart Tolle

To “watch the thinker” is another way of saying: listen to the voice in your head, be there as the witnessing presence.

“If you have difficulty feeling your emotions, start by focusing attention on the inner energy field of your body. Feel the body from within. This will put you in touch with your emotions.”

“Remember that your perception of the world is a reflection of your state of consciousness. You are not separate from it, and ther! e is no objective world out there. Every moment, your consciousness creates the world that you inhabit.”

“When you have reached a certain degree of presence, you no longer need negativity to tell you what is needed in your life situation – but as long as negativity is there, use it. Whenever you notice that some form of negativity has arisen within you, look on it not as a failure, but as a helpful signal that reminds you to be more present.”

“Are you worried? Do you have many “what if” thoughts? You are identified with your mind, which is projecting itself into an imaginary future situation and creating fear. There is no way that you can cope with such a situation, because it doesn’t exist. It’s a mental phantom.”

~ Eckhart Tolle

Inspiring Story

My beloved and seemingly very healthy husband of 46 years was given a diagnosis of incurable Non-Hodgkins lymphoma in October of 2003. This has been a challenging year of numerous appointments and disappointments, from the standpoint of our life situations.

Through it all we have been nourished and lovingly carried by the Power of Now, especially by Eckhart's reading of the book, even though we have other materials of his. Because of my personal contact with Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and working in oncology as a clinical social worker, I had many other excellent materials. Nothing, however, comforts and helps us to grow emotionally and spiritually as does The Power of Now. We listen to it repeatedly and each time, our understanding deepens and our commitment to living in the Eternal Now is strengthened. This amazes me because I am not one to read a book or see a movie more than one time.

My only addition to Eckha! rt's suggestions for opening portals is to switch quickly to my mantra, "Thy will be done" when my mind starts galloping away. I think he'd probably okay that since he refers to those words of Jesus. His other references to the words and parables of Jesus are most helpful, also and explain them in far greater depth than we have ever before encountered, even from respected theologians.

It's difficult to live with a medical "death sentence." Eckhart's love shines through the Power of Now and affirms for me that love makes all things bearable.

In peace, love, and joy,

Marilyn M.

Calendar of Events – 2005

There are no events scheduled for 2005 as Eckhart is creating space and solitu! de for writing his third book, A New Earth (provisional title).

During this time, you can be with the teaching by way of:

Eckhart’s audio and visual collection, visit the Store at http://www.eckharttolle.com

OR

Teaching sessions with Kim Eng (private and group sessions or invite Kim as a guest speaker to your group or event), for more information visit Groups & Teachers http://www.eckharttolle.com or contact Eckhart Teachings +1 604 893-8500.

OR

Attend a local group in your area, visit Local Groups http://www.eckharttolle.com

New releases available in 2005 on CD and DVD
The below products will be posted on Eckhart’s website as they are released.

Spring Release

Talk Series
What is Meditation?

1 x CD, 1 x DVD
Recorded: Santa Rosa, California, USA October 2004

Summer Release

Retreat Series
The Art of Presence

6 x CD, 5 x DVD
Recorded: Copenhagen, Denmark May 2004

Fall Release

Retreat Series
Stillness Amidst the World

4 x CD, 2 x DVD
Recorded: Findhorn, Scotland May 2004

Re-release available April 25, 2005

Intensive Series
In the Presence of a Great Mystery (CD)

Recorded: Hollywood, Florida 2002

There is a dimension of consciousness in you that is deeper t! han form, a spacious stillness beyond thoughts, emotions and sense perceptions. Eckhart’s words point to the possibility of realizing this unconditioned consciousness here and now, without the need for more time (or MORE of anything).

Lesson contained in this series:
· Going beyond unconscious reaction in challenging life situations
· Moving out of the momentum of human collective pain
· The link between fear and anxiety and the pain body
· Putting an end to the pain body masquerading as a “me”

3 x CD
Price: $29.95 US
ISBN: 1-894884-23-X

Running Time 2 hours, 49 minutes

In Stillness We Meet.

Peace and Blessings to All,
Eckhart Teachings