Intristic Actions & Motivation

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Intristic Actions & Motivation

Postby dannydawiz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:03 pm

I've been thinking recently.

Is it really possible for any MOTIVATED action to be done for the sake of itself? For example the reason I'm writing this thread is because I want to receive an answer to my question. I may breathe 24/7 but the reason is so that I don't die due to lack of oxygen. I'm listening to music right now and the reason is because I find it to be pleasing to my senses.
I can lift my hand for no apparent reason but I won't be very motivated to do it again.

I've noticed throughout that my life that there are times when certain activities require almost no effort at all to get started. For example, I can come home from school and read for hours without having to "push" myself into doing it. It doesn't feel like a chore at all whatsoever.

I want more of that type of motivation. How do I find a way to utilize that motivation into the things that I do?

I'm not very motivated to talk to people. I can do it of course but it will feel like a chore and chances are I won't do it again after I'm done with it.

I'm not very motivated to go to school right now. I'm going to do it of course but it's going to feel like a chore and the only thing that makes me wanna go is one class, a few people, and a high school diploma.

Does anyone out there know the answers?
dannydawiz

Re: Intristic Actions & Motivation

Postby Phil2 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 pm

dannydawiz wrote:
I want more of that type of motivation. How do I find a way to utilize that motivation into the things that I do?

Why look for a "motivation" ? Why not just 'do' things that need to be done ? Why look for a 'purpose' or an 'intention' ? Is it possible to act without looking for a result ? without any intention ? for the sake of action itself in the present moment, not bringing in any future issue, any 'expectation', which is time ... and enjoy action for its own sake ... in full presence ...

??
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby dannydawiz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Why look for a "motivation" ? Why not just 'do' things that need to be done ? Why look for a 'purpose' or an 'intention' ? Is it possible to act without looking for a result ? without any intention ? for the sake of action itself in the present moment, not bringing in any future issue, any 'expectation', which is time ... and enjoy action for its own sake ... in full presence ...

??

Yes it is possible to act without looking for a result. I can breathe for the sake of breathing and that would be its own end. I can speak to someone for the sake of speaking to someone and that would be its own end.

The reason why I look for motivation is because without motivation it is highly unlikely that a behavior is going to be repeated. Sometimes in order to learn new things it is necessary to repeat behaviors over a long period of time.
dannydawiz

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 pm

I recommend you become an explorer. Shouldn't be too hard. After all, that's how you got here. Now that you are here, make the choice to do so consciously.

That doesn't answer the question of motivation however. You said you listen to music because it is pleasing to your senses. Take it one step further and say it's pleasing to your perception. There is more in perception than just our senses. Perception is also how we see things. So in perceiving your world, go for the most pleasing perception. Motivation is following our highest excitement. It's more fun to listen to music than a chain saw. (Well, for most. :mrgreen: )

As you are likely bound to go to school, look for (explore) perceptions and experiences that you find most pleasing wherever you find yourself to be. In any given circumstance there are any number of ways in which to perceive things. Be an explorer of experiential possibilities. What offers a pleasing perception one time may not another so there is always possibilities to explore. The same goes for all events and circumstances in your life. You can explore the most pleasing, most exciting, most enjoyable way to perceive them.

You can make it a way of life. Explore your highest excitement and what brings you the most joy. Life is supposed to be fun. Go find out how. While the sky is the limit (or maybe not), interaction with others is the most challenging, and often the most enjoyable. You will find that hurting others is not much fun, but helping is.

You'll find, with a little practice, that perceptions of events and conditions are layered and can be infinitely refined. Of course there is some trial and error as you become more adept, but that is the nature of exploring. It's not always easy. It does however, offer a life of great reward in the quality of life experience you can have.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby KathleenBrugger » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi Danny! I like what WW wrote about being an explorer, and doing it consciously. What is it about your books that are so interesting that it's effortless to read for hours? Is it because they are of interest to you? What if you could define the terms of your life yourself, so everything you do is related to what interests you? I just got back from the gym. Believe me, I don't want to go to the gym. But I have the intention of being healthy, and as I'm getting older I want to avoid getting things like high blood pressure, etc, so that motivates me to get moving. In addition I have turned the workout into part of my spiritual practice; I use machines in front of a plate glass window and its a great opportunity to watch people and learn more about humanity. Because I have defined the benefits of the workout in this way to myself, it is usually pretty easy to get to the gym.

I knew a young woman who disliked school. She was a musician and I suggested she think of school as a preparation for what she wanted in life. English class could help improve her songwriting skills. Math could help her make sure her agent wasn't cheating her. In other words, don't let others define what something means for you, define it for yourself. Find the elements in a situation that fit your goals and interests and work with that.

You might be interested in this other thread on intention: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13027
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/
KathleenBrugger

Postby dannydawiz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:21 am

Thanks a lot for replying both of you. It really helps me hearing from you guys.

I feel as if I've been an explorer for quite awhile since I've gone back to school. As a result of all I've learned my observation skills seem to be at an all time high. I observe my thoughts, feelings, and how they relate to the external world around me on a daily basis.

I feel that there are two realities I live in.

The first world is the external world in which I can observe everything around me through the use of my senses. This is what I consider to be objective reality. Even though my senses are limited in what they can sense.

The second world is the internal world in which I can observe my thoughts and feelings. This is what I consider to be the subjective reality or ego. The part of my mind that wants to add internal dialogue and judgements to everything externally. This is the part of my mind that reduces my surroundings into labels.

I do my absolute best to stay in the first world because that is the one that I've come to associate with presence or being in the now. If I'm ever having a bad day and I notice myself starting to get into negative thought patterns I've noticed that going back into that observational state reduces the mind noise. However, If I'm feeling pain for example, going into that observational state doesn't get rid of the pain. It only allows me to "observe" my pain and not make it any worse by adding a bunch of internal dialogue to it.

Webwanderer. You say that perceptions of events and conditions can be infinitely refined. Could you elaborate a bit more? I feel that there is still so much about perception that I don't understand. Are your perceptions created through your thoughts or are they created through your senses?

How do I explore the most enjoyable perceptions? Where do I start? Is it through the senses or is it through thought? For example, If an activity made me FEEL pleased then is that only because I thought it was pleasing?

If that is the case then why is it that if I keep on thinking to myself "this is pleasing" as I'm eating some mustard It still doesn't taste/feel any better?

Are your perceptions changed through what you focus on with your thoughts or are they changed through what you focus on with your senses?

I'm going to read over the thread that you posted right now kathleen. I've read some of it but I haven't finished truly comprehending it considering that when it comes to a topic such as the mind things can get quite complicated. Thanks for posting it because I found that quote from "Finding Flow" (1997) to be quite satisfying. I might discover something new from it if I explore a bit more.
dannydawiz

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm

dannydawiz wrote:Webwanderer. You say that perceptions of events and conditions can be infinitely refined. Could you elaborate a bit more? I feel that there is still so much about perception that I don't understand. Are your perceptions created through your thoughts or are they created through your senses?

How do I explore the most enjoyable perceptions? Where do I start? Is it through the senses or is it through thought? For example, If an activity made me FEEL pleased then is that only because I thought it was pleasing?

If that is the case then why is it that if I keep on thinking to myself "this is pleasing" as I'm eating some mustard It still doesn't taste/feel any better?

Are your perceptions changed through what you focus on with your thoughts or are they changed through what you focus on with your senses?

All great questions. Before I attempt any answer though, I would remind you that the pursuit of these answers is the very nature of exploring consciousness and being, and no answer is going to satisfy what ultimately must be discovered by you directly in your own way, in you own time.

The first world is the external world in which I can observe everything around me through the use of my senses. This is what I consider to be objective reality. Even though my senses are limited in what they can sense.

The second world is the internal world in which I can observe my thoughts and feelings. This is what I consider to be the subjective reality or ego. The part of my mind that wants to add internal dialogue and judgements to everything externally. This is the part of my mind that reduces my surroundings into labels.

I would recommend that you don't get locked into this as a belief structure. Every experience is valuable. Your feelings and emotions are a great gift that are best deeply appreciated as they work intimately with thoughts and senses to create a perception and experience of life that brings much needed guidance. Don't take them lightly. It is wise take each 'world' as unique and imperative in the growth of consciousness and understanding. To discount one or the other will only limit your perspective.

You say that perceptions of events and conditions can be infinitely refined. Could you elaborate a bit more? ... ...Are your perceptions created through your thoughts or are they created through your senses?

What I am suggesting, from my own experience, is that over time our experience of the same or similar events will be perceived differently. As you apply meaning to an event it brings an experience relative to that new meaning. Once that experience is integrated, it and similar experiences will be perceived through the lens of that meaning. That doesn't necessarily make it the 'best' way to perceive it for your greater well being, only the best step you were capable of at the time. Once a new level of perception is established however, the meaning you apply to the same or similar events can be further adjusted towards a reflection of your greater understanding.

This continued refinement of meaning can continue indefinitely. Understand, events and conditions have no intrinsic meaning. Meaning is applied by each of us according to our own base of understanding.

Follow your feelings and emotions. There was a term used by the counter culture back in the 60's that went "If it feels good do it". While the intent had merit it led to a lot of narcissism. Maybe a better approach is "if it feels right, do it". Feeling right brings actions into a greater context that is more inclusive. That doesn't mean it will always be the best, but will likely be the best given the conditions and state of consciousness. And following your feelings and emotions in moving toward your greater happiness will bring more enjoyment into your life experience.

Also understand that doing what feels right is not intended as a moral judgment. It is simply a move toward alignment with Love and your true nature. There is no wrong in a greater sense, only experience.

As to your thoughts and senses, again they play a role in creating meaning and ultimately experience. Use them to your best advantage.

In such an example it's likely that it is too big a leap. Your don't believe it and words to the contrary have little effect. It is more effective to make incremental changes. For example: "while I don't like mustard, sometimes just a hint in with other spices is not so bad." In other words find something that you can believe. Slowly, you can make a shift in your perception. "A little mustard in the right combination is quite tolerable". Notice how the feeling of rejection is less in the two examples I offered than the greater leap in yours. In time, as your beliefs toward mustard integrate within your perspective, your perception and feeling toward mustard will change.

Both are helpful, but it's belief that matters. Hold a thought long enough with feeling, supported by senses, and beliefs manifest. Beliefs are the perception of reality. They are the foundation of perspective. Beliefs are not necessarily the truth in a greater sense, but they are the perception of truth - which is what matters in creating your personal experience. Meaning is an expression of belief. Use it to your advantage. Remember, all is malleable in beliefs and perspective. You are their creator in your life. You are the creator of your own experience.

Again, it's all about the exploration of consciousness and being. Enjoy.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dannydawiz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:58 am

Hey web wanderer.

Thanks a lot for replying again. What you say about belief being the main factor regarding our perceptions of reality makes a lot of sense. I suppose the only hard part would be figuring out how to replace beliefs that hold me back with new ones that create a more valuable experience.

One thing that I observed today is that there is a direct correlation between my feelings and what I choose to focus my mind on.

I read the thread that Kathleen posted earlier which included a few things regarding flow. I experimented a bit and noticed that when I'm completely absorbed in a task I don't have time to focus on my thoughts. I don't even have time to focus on my feelings because if I were to try to focus on them then I wouldn't be able to perform the task.

I experimented with this and it made quite a bit of sense. The whole idea of time just passing by and becoming completely absorbed in an activity. I've experienced these things throughout my adolescence as I was first learning about music and really studying it with all my mental capacity. It would be awfully hard for the mind to think about some sort of negative past experience if it had no room for the thought to appear in the first place.

What I'm wondering is whether this flow state can be maintained if I could train the mind to only focus on one thing even when I'm not working on a task.

Maybe its just my wandering mind that creates unpleasant experiences at times.

I'm going to experiment more with this state of flow and see whether its the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot for helping me out guys. Today was the most calm day i've had in awhile. I feel that I've already gone through a type of change in perception.
dannydawiz

Return to Questions