When To Use Thinking

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

When To Use Thinking

Postby dannydawiz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:06 am

Hello everyone.

Eckhart said in a video somewhere that the main difference between him after his awakening what that his thinking had gone down by 80%. He places so much emphasis on being in the present moment and not being trapped by incessant thinking.

Is it really possible to go throughout life without thinking however? Isn't thinking required for certain tasks? When is it okay to think?
dannydawiz

Re: When To Use Thinking

Postby Phil2 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:52 am

dannydawiz wrote:When is it okay to think?

I would say that the problem is not so much "when" to use thinking ... than to be aware when thought is used ...

This is why Eckhart recommends not to react immediately ('hot' reaction) when there is some problem at hand, but instead take some deep breath, become aware of your body ... then you let some quiet (and 'cool') action arise in response to the problem, and this action will be much more 'creative' and 'appropriate' than a 'knee-jerk' reaction ...

Iow. you create a 'gap' of awareness between the challenging event or problem and your response ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Re: When To Use Thinking

Postby dannydawiz » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:13 am

Phil2 wrote:
dannydawiz wrote:When is it okay to think?

I would say that the problem is not so much "when" to use thinking ... than to be aware when thought is used ...

This is why Eckhart recommends not to react immediately ('hot' reaction) when there is some problem at hand, but instead take some deep breath, become aware of your body ... then you let some quiet (and 'cool') action arise in response to the problem, and this action will be much more 'creative' and 'appropriate' than a 'knee-jerk' reaction ...

Iow. you create a 'gap' of awareness between the challenging event or problem and your response ...

Thanks for replying Phil. Im no expert on thinking by any means but I suppose the realization that you aren't your thoughts is good enough for now. When I realized that about a year ago it was like I was living in a completely different reality.

Even now I still sometimes forget this. Whenever I'm reading anything essentially what I'm reading is another persons thoughts. In the same way that whenever I write down anything I'm also reading my own thoughts.

What a silly realization considering how obvious that may be to others. Maybe I'll even find a way to use it as a tool somehow.
dannydawiz

Return to Questions