How hard is hes teachings to embrace?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How hard is hes teachings to embrace?

Postby Thux » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 am

It's quite an transformation to make I imagine, going from a heavy thinker to use thinking only for practical purposes.

How hard is it to change the way of how you operate?
How much has Eckhart helped you?
Thux

Re: How hard is hes teachings to embrace?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:25 am

How hard is it to change the way of how you operate?

About as hard as it was when we were babies just learning to use our legs instead of our hands and knees to get around :wink:

It's a natural growth in awareness, capacity & willingness. Baby steps and falling down, to occasionally tripping over, to walking tall and confidently, to not even noticing that we are :D

ET is just an example, we each find our own way, in our own time and in our own way.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby karmarider » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:04 am

Jen, thank you for being so beautifully true. And succinct!

I see it the way Jen does. Eckhart Tolle certainly got me started and I am forever grateful for him for that. It's seems to be about self-observation, dropping mental fixed points, and developing sincerity. If there is self-observation, the rest of seems to develop on its own.
karmarider

Postby epiphany55 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 am

Seeing the self as the thinker is a big one to drop. In reality there is no unitary self, a "ghost in the brain", that authors thought. Thought simply arises, in the same way any experience may arise in one's field of consciousness.

This leads to the realisation that you are not DOING the thought. The thought is simply something you become aware of. Meditating on this creates a space between awareness and thought, which allows you to let go of, if not eliminate, your unproductive thought patterns, in the same way you wouldn't chase a cloud or a car just because it's there.

It's actually so simple, but we have been conditioned from an early age to attach the "I" (our awareness of experience) to thought (what experience means to us). So there's an element of deprogramming to this.

It would be far healthier to teach children that they are managers of their thoughts, rather than authors. So the question you might ask yourself is "how would the world appear if thought was an object (rather than the essence) of consciousness?"
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.
epiphany55

Return to Questions