How to Process Intuition

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How to Process Intuition

Postby Clare » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:22 am

Okay, I am getting increasingly unsure that I can articulate anything, but here goes.

Intuition. It makes you feel things that make you fix upon a decision. It seems to incorporate two things: feeling something; then doing a search to map where that feelinghas occurred before and what it means.

Feeling something is true: making a decision about it requires thought. It is always coloured by our previous experience.

So, in a state of non thinking, how do we process intuition?

Give you an example. Someone asks me to lunch to meet someone they feel will help me. I get a feeling the lunch is wonky somehow. I feel the person's decision to take me to lunch with this person is weird. But then, I am shy of new people. I am also extremely suspicious due to bad treatment in previous times. Is it intuition or past-time fear talking?

How do we distinguish between fear based conditioning and intuitive hits.?Intuition often relies on things that went before. Everything in the now says 'yes' - to whatever is. Does this mean that there is no distinction between good and bad experiences in the now? Does this mean we willingly walk into catastrophe and say "Oh well, ok" when our intuition is screaming at us to stop? If intuition is saying stop - stop for what? Fear? Fear has no place here.

Does anyone get this dichotomy? Anyone get a handle on things beyond it?
Thanks
Clare
Clare

Postby heidi » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:01 am

I now know that when you are present you are more open to intuition. So, if you move those thought of "is it because..." and go with it, well then you go with it. If you are double thinking - then unthink, and the clarity will tell the truth.
With the understanding at we can access the universe like a computer - yes/no or 1/0 - or that the thing you're faced with has low energy to you, then you act upon that truth. It has nothing to do with previous experience, unless you want it to. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby barbarasher » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:08 am

Clare,

Good question. I totally understand it. I am also interested in the answer.
barbarasher

Postby a_friend » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Not that I'm any sort of expert in the area of intuition, but it seems to me that intuition (the Voice) is not at all demanding on any sort of action. On the other hand, thoughts and feelings that come from ego can be very demanding. So anything inside me that is loud or insistent I watch with patience, and anything that is quiet and subtle I watch with keen interest. In the end, its not really the decision that matters, its the moment in which the decision that takes place. I almost feel like I've already made every decision that I will ever make in life, and my place is just to accept each moment within. But like I said, I'm no expert :)

a friend
a_friend

Postby summer » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:12 am

Hi everyone,
thanks to Barbara, I just read Eckhart's latest newsletter. And just like you often say, a friend, it left me feeling like "what do I really know?"
But we humans are persistent little critters, and we keep on trying to help ourselves and others no matter what the odds are :)

When I read your post, Claire, you seem to be asking whether it is ever appropriate to say NO. We hear so much about always saying yes to what is, that we think it means when it is late at night and someone knocks on your door asking if they can spend the night, you must always say yes.
And there is a very understandable fear that we will become the most co-dependent, dysfunctional doormat that ever walked on Earth :lol:

What I would call intuition is a very gentle voice that can only be heard in the present moment. For me, it is a divine intelligence that always feels very loving and gentle. When I am quiet and feeling present, if I ask this energy a question about whether I should go out to lunch with certain people, I will get a sense of openess if the answer is YES. And I will get no feeling of openess if the answer is NO. Again, it is a very quiet NO.

Someone like Eckhart seems to always be listening to this quiet voice.
I would imagine that many people are asking him questions, and wanting to schedule workshops for him. And still, he says that he is in retreat right now and focussing his energy on writing a book.

Intuition is not affected by our past traumas and hurts. Fear is not an ingredient in it's wisdom. It is love. And it knows where love flows easily.
summer

Postby Clare » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks for these great replies. This has grown to be very interesting to me. I'm am concerned about overthunking it :)

I see what really is the heart of it, is, yes, as Summer so eloquently said, a feeling of when to say 'no', but also a definition of intuition.

I am beginning to understand...My Goodness when I look at this it is so obvious! But I didnt see it! When I am working in healing and reading intuitively, I get accurate things come in without thinking about them. They just present themselves to me. If I think, it musses it. It's much harder if I am in pain (as I was recently) or in a place of disrest about something - which is a bummer because when we need to be intuitive most is in these times. To find a peace within to where you can 'listen', is paramount. I can understand now why I was given so much pain, and i fact it changed shortly after I asked how to get present and be at peace with it (it hasn't returned at this time, by the way). I need to develop this ability. Your posts about how to get there in that state were so useful. I am printing them off and reading them again.

Because I feel that it isnt about being in a state of quiet oneness all of the time , in as much as walking in slow motion and smiling to ourselves constantly! ( Though I know Heidi is like this really :lol: ) It's about having a state of quiet oneness within you regardless of what is going on around and what is entering your energy field - right? You can be partying, it is there. You can be in pain, it is there.

I love the distinction you've made here between the quiet voice and the loud voice. I have been misinformed to a certain extent. One of my spiritual teachers talks about intuition screaming at you. It doesn't, I can see that now. And there is a common misunderstanding about what is intuition and what is fear due to both energies coming from the same energy centre. But yes, Ego fear is loud and threatening: Intuition is quiet and just 'there'.

Gratitude and love to everyone :)
Clare
Clare

Postby a_friend » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:54 pm

I don't know, I wouldn't say that intuition is always soft and gentle and quiet. Sometimes, when you realize the Voice is telling you something, or that a message is truly coming from intuition, that message can seem like the only reasonable option. Maybe it can seem loud and obvious in comparison to the demands of the ego because it makes so much more sense. I guess that I meant for those of us who don't have much experience listening to and responding to intuition, it certainly takes some very careful attention on our part. The voice of Intuition seems much more gentle and loving than the demanding voice of the ego. For example, lately I've been hearing something inside me saying "I've got to get out of this effing town". Is that my ego or my intuition? I don't know for sure, but the language of this message leads me to believe its just my ego. And even if a message comes from ego, there can still be some truth or usefulness to it. For now I'm simply patiently watching this message. Again, I wouldn't put too much stock in what I have to say about this. Ask life and see for yourself :)

a friend
a_friend

Postby heidi » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:55 pm

And sometimes, the voice of intuition seems to slip the ball to the ego. The key of consciousness is recognizing what's got possession of the ball :wink:

Example: you hear the inner voice, you act on it with great success and joy and satisfaction, and then the ego steps up and takes credit :lol:
Heidi
heidi

Postby Clare » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:58 pm

OKay, now I'm confused.
:?

Heidi, if you would be so kind, could you give me an example, hypothetical or otherwise ,where the ego takes 'control of ball' with great success?

When and why would the 'ball' be slipped to the ego? I don't understand.

thanks
Clare
Clare

Postby heidi » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:56 am

Okay, say I let go and intuition leads me in a creative work such as a painting. The painting comes out great, the creative process was divine, the painting wins a prize, and then the ego comes in and says, "I did that" when it wasn't mind based at all, it was divinely driven.
Here's another one. Somebody approaches you, salves your ego; your intuition says no, you draw proper boundries and politely decline. Later you find out your intuition was correct, and the person got bagged in some scam or something like that. Then the ego steps in and takes credit when it was your intuition all along.
Heidi
heidi

Postby summer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:49 am

Now I am curious. Has anyone really heard their intuition scream?
For me, it has always been a gentle nudge. Often, back-to-back my mind jumps in and tells me why I mustn't listen to this. My thoughts are the loud voice.
Intuition is part of the stillness. We have to pay attention to the silence in this very moment. Maybe it feels strong because it arises from a wholeness that is deeper than thought. A deep knowing where doubt doesn't enter.

But I have never heard my intuition scream.
summer

Postby barbarasher » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:03 am

Yes, you and I and everyone would like a clear-cut formula for deciphering the calls of the wild (ego) and the gentle wisdom of intuition.

I wish I had one and then I could give it to you too.

But, I'll tell you my spin on the subject, as follows.

I find that as time goes by and I become wiser. I am able to listen more to my intuition more, and that listening to it usually makes me happier.

It may be a process over time that will help you know when to listen to what and what are the various voices speaking in your/my/everyone's head.

My intuition is usually right, and mostly I didn't listen to it.

I did this because I didn't want it to be right, because I wanted reality to be different than it was. So I collected facts (what ego does) to prove that something against my intuition was right, and then I was sorry later since reality is reality and is always there even though I blinded myself to it since I didn’t like it and convince myself that it wasn't what it was.

Mostly when I feel my mind explaining it to someone, meaning that I feel that in order to make the decision I have to consider how others will think of me, and what they would say, then I know that I am not listening to myself.

Many times my intuition has spoken and it has been right for me and it has not been advice that someone else would give or someone else would think is right.

Regarding the volume (loud or soft), I believe that the more respect and power that I will give to it, the louder it will speak. It is a process for me.
barbarasher

Postby Clare » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:56 am

Thanks for elaborating, Heidi. It may be a perspective thing, but I don't see what you are describing as intution passing the ball to the ego. I see that as intution having the ball all the time and the ego doing it's little dance around it. I'd say that the ball could be lost to the ego, if the intuition wasn't that much in control of the ball, but it wouldnt be handed to it.

And you'll have to forgive me, I'm not that good at talking in American basketball metaphors. I'm sure there are many technical terms I could have mustered here that could have described it better :)

It's interesting what you say Barbara, I never really saw age have much to do with intutive development. I think children are ultimately intuitive. I suppose the truth is we are all living radars for energy, but for me the best time to be in tune with that is in childhood. When I was younger, it was easier all the time. When I am in healing session or reading, it is effortless. When I am in my life and beset with all kinds of doodoo, well, yes, I guess I need a formula - not to distinguish between what intution is and what is otherwise, but to be able to get to the place where I will know.

I've thought aboutthe intution screaming thing and I have to say that experientially I have never heard mine scream. What usually screams at me is fears. If I fall for them, if I take the fears as reality -
"This pain in your head, it's going to be there a loooonng time. Go to the hospital! Go to the hospital right now, have everything taken out!" :lol:
- they'll become my reality. If I had acted on my fear screaming at me, I would have been in pain right now. I would have been in pain for a loooong time. See what I mean?

I think when the 'bad thoughts' come, and we wonder if they are our intution saying "You know this lovely life you think you have? Who are you kidding? Can't you see that you are living an illusion, and if you look at what is really happening you'd see what a mistake you are making." That voice? Anyone else have that? And you go "Okay, I'll get real. I'll deconstruct. I'll do anything if you'd just stop making me feel like my life is going to turn to kaka any minute." That's fear. Not intuition. Now, at times of weakness, that voice can scream. And if you fall for it, life will indeed turn to...well...I'm running out of excrement euphemisms, so I'd better stop now :lol:

Thanks to all.
Clare
Clare

Postby Clare » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:34 am

Oh, and Friend?

Don't you back off now. I'm taking everything you say as absolute gospel, and if it doesn't work out you'll hear from my lawyers. I'm already in process of suing Heidi for telling me to have my tooth out :twisted:

Seriously, I really think there was a lot that resonated with me in what you said. It illuminated a few places I hadn't looked in before. That would be my life happening to me, wouldnt you say? :)

Thanks
Clare
Clare

Postby barbarasher » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:59 pm

Clare,
I said wisdom. I didn't say age.
barbarasher

Next

Return to Questions