Schizophrenia and being in the now - is it possible ?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Schizophrenia and being in the now - is it possible ?

Postby llcooljbg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello everybody,

A while ago, I read the power of now by Eckhart Tolle, and since I'm a huge fan of the people who are in the now, and spiritually awakened and enlightened(I have the ability to recognize them), I was wondering whether I could become like them eversince I was a kid. I'm 25 now and I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia back when I was 21. People have always wondered what is wrong with me, and my closest friends have actually found that most of the time I'm unable to realize what's going on, and that I'm not in the now, which I can see too and it pisses me off (it's like a movie playing in front of my eyes, without me participating). You see I have a lot of dreams and goals, but being in this situation makes it hard for me to fulfill them. My questions are: Is it possible for a person with schizophrenia, to achieve full presence in the now, enlightenment and disidentification with the ego and mind, since with this illness there's an actual chemical imbalance in the brain ? and Has anyone around here had similar problems ? Please discuss this topic and let me know what you think. Thank you in advance...
llcooljbg

Re: Schizophrenia and being in the now - is it possible ?

Postby epiphany55 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:39 am

Hello! The long and short of it is that a person who identifies with mind, mental illness or not, is going to suffer more than a person who practices techniques such as mindfulness and other presence based meditation. Schizophrenia perhaps just makes the practise more urgent and noticeably beneficial.

Are you able to sit and place your attention on your breathing or a feeling within part of your body? If so, there's no reason why you can't gradually expand this practise to the entire contents of consciousness and give yourself that retreat when things get too intense. While medication deals with balancing the chemical aspect of the condition, your work is to supplement that with meditative practise.

I personally found Sam Harris' guided meditation very effective. I hope you do too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OboD7JrT0NE
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.
epiphany55

Re: Schizophrenia and being in the now - is it possible ?

Postby tomtom1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 pm

llcooljbg wrote:Hello everybody,

A while ago, I read the power of now by Eckhart Tolle, and since I'm a huge fan of the people who are in the now, and spiritually awakened and enlightened(I have the ability to recognize them), I was wondering whether I could become like them eversince I was a kid. I'm 25 now and I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia back when I was 21. People have always wondered what is wrong with me, and my closest friends have actually found that most of the time I'm unable to realize what's going on, and that I'm not in the now, which I can see too and it pisses me off (it's like a movie playing in front of my eyes, without me participating). You see I have a lot of dreams and goals, but being in this situation makes it hard for me to fulfill them. My questions are: Is it possible for a person with schizophrenia, to achieve full presence in the now, enlightenment and disidentification with the ego and mind, since with this illness there's an actual chemical imbalance in the brain ? and Has anyone around here had similar problems ? Please discuss this topic and let me know what you think. Thank you in advance...

Have you ever seen a movie called 'a beautiful mind' with Russell Crowe?
I believe that's a true story. I found it fascinating because it really reminded me of the power of now. In the film he managed over his lifetime to start to watch his delusions and the characters that appeared in them. He was then able to separate himself from them and although they stayed with him for his entire life, he was able to ignore them and not let them effect him.
I honestly don't know enough about the illness but perhaps there is some hope from that.... :D
I really wish you the very best. I think anything is possible :D
tomtom1

Return to Questions