The Now vs. The Dreaming?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

The Now vs. The Dreaming?

Postby flick » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:54 am

In Aboriginal culture, The Dreaming is a really important part of each person's life. It can't really be done justice in words, but here's a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1h9NKrn17w

What do you guys think? Is this The Now that Eckhart refers to?
flick

Re: The Now vs. The Dreaming?

Postby DavidB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 am

Hi flick,

There isn't an Aboriginal culture. There was never in Australia, a unified Aboriginal nation. There was instead many tribes spread out across Australia, each having their own culture, language and identity. So to speak of Australian Aboriginals as a single culture, is both false and misleading.

That video is quite old now and most of what is in it is misinformed and ill conceived, in my opinion.

Contemporary Aboriginal culture is just that, contemporary. Most of what we see today in Aboriginal culture has as much to do with Aboriginal history as does contemporary pop music. Most of it is made to look authentic, but in reality is quite new. Made up basically. On top of this, through the infantilizing of the Aboriginal by interfering government overreach, the Australian Aboriginal has become more or less a flaccid, unmotivated, welfare basket case. Not a pretty site, not much to celebrate unfortunately.

As for dreaming. I see dreaming as an alternate reality. A reality just as real as this one we experience while awake, yet not having the same physical laws. In the dream state, there is no restriction on either space or time, and matter can be manipulated easily. Also in the dream state there is experienced a kind of centralized figure, in that everything and everybody within the dream is all an aspect of the dreamer. The dream state though, unlike the wake state, is not subject to limitation, and in this sense can be considered more essential in nature. So from this perspective, the dream state could be perceived as being permanent and more real and the wake state, in it's temporary nature, more like the dream, not real. However, the wake state and it's physical laws, make the wake state feel much more solid and real, while the dream state, lacking more of the tactile feedback, feels less real.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to Questions