Who feels their inner body?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Who feels their inner body?

Postby DylanDude » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 am

Eckhart Tolle recommends people feel their inner body to stay present to the moment. If you apply this advice and feel your inner body it will transform you into a completely different person. I started experimenting with this almost 2 years ago. I felt my lower legs and instantly i felt almost like i was drunk while socializing, felt like i had super powers.

I got so used to doing it that now it happens to me automatically without trying. And once i start doing it i don't know how to stop. There's pro's and cons to doing this but lately i can only notice the negatives.

It makes you super weird. Too hard to explain exactly what it does in words but it's like eckhart says, it takes you out of the experience and adds a feeling of space around it.
You act from a whole new place that nobody else in the world does. I feel like im removed from everything. I don't bond with people in the same way. It's like i'm talking at people instead of with them. I see other people bonding like normal people do, like i used to, and it makes me feel sad and depressed. This makes life seem so pointless. It's like i've lost a part of me, the old me that used to thrive off other people in conversations instead of just amuse myself and talk at them. It makes you seem like you don't respect other people because the part of you that respects other people is gone so you can't relate to them in that way anymore. Your words come from a way different place than everybody else. It causes you to think these big long thoughts which other people can't relate to at all. It's like the conversation becomes very focused on what you want and you can't help it. You steer everything that people say away from them in some sort of way, unlike going with what people say like most people. It's so scary to think that i'll never be able to go back to normal.

Anybody else here experiment with this? I feel like most people just read the book and they never practice feeling the inner body, this shit is crazy no joke. There's only a few people i know who do this (not personally), Eckhart Tolle, Elliott Hulse (youtube blogger), Tyler Durden AKA Owen Cook (youtube blogger), Russell Brand, and Miley Cyrus.
DylanDude

Re: Who feels their inner body?

Postby Manyana » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi DylanDude, when you started experimenting with this you had very powerful experiences, this seems to have made you lose your balance a bit, maybe try using acceptance as a portal into the now instead.

The bottom part of your post contains a lot of comparison to others.

This link may be useful in terms of the comparison stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9w8aRbC5M
Manyana

Postby DavidB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:54 am

Focusing on the inner body is a technique to help us become more present. Once you are present though, using techniques become an obstacle to presence.

The idea of presence is actually the idea of abandonment. We abandon pretenses, techniques and all attempts of the mind to reshape and reform the self. We abandon what we think we ought to be or ought to do and allow ourselves to be and do whatever happens to be or doing in this present moment.

Techniques, while useful at first, can become an obstacle to present state awareness. I know that Eckhart recommends the technique of inner body awareness, but as you discovered, it can create a situation where we can become unrelatable to others.

Also, I'm confused, what do Russel Brand and Miley Cyrus have to do with inner body awareness? Both, in my opinion, manifest examples of deep unconsciousness.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby DylanDude » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:05 am

DavidB wrote:Also, I'm confused, what do Russel Brand and Miley Cyrus have to do with inner body awareness? Both, in my opinion, manifest examples of deep unconsciousness.

Thanks for the response guys! Appreciate it. Also watch these videos, Russell Brand in this video seems almost like he resonates at a different frequency then everybody else. It's like his words come from a different place. He doesn't react to the strong ego in all the other people in the room and he's effortlessly the center of attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBA6qlHW8po

Same thing with Miley Cyrus, instantly you can just tell her vibe is very different than most people's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTT6tl7i4s

Can you see it? I'm so used to doing this myself that i notice it very easily in others even though it's very rare to see.
DylanDude

Postby DavidB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 am

Yes, I can see, both of them are quite animated, extroverted and self confident individuals. Not sure how that equates to inner body awareness though.

I don't know much about Miley, so can't really comment, but I do know that while Russell means well, he seems to be a very confused individual. His understanding of social, political and economic issues, appears to be quite juvenile.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby ashley72 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Dylan,

Feeling the Inner body will not work to overcome any kind of typical nervous illness like social phobia, anxiety, panic, ocd or agoraphobia.

The reason why is anxiety is a spectrum disorder whereby the sufferer starts to treat the symptoms of fear... nervous twitching, heart palpitations, sweaty palms as a sign of danger. This causes a positive feedback loop to arise where output signal feeds back into the input signal causing more & more of the anxiety symptoms to arise... ultimately leading to overwhelming panic by the sufferer or obsessive compulsive "avoidance" behaviors.

Feeling the inner body is merely getting the sufferer to focus on their bodily sensations which could create an anxiety attack.

To treat anxiety you need the sufferer to stop treating the symptoms (output cycle of fear) as dangerous... and you need to expose the sufferer to triggers without avoidance. The sufferer has to reframe a undesirable bodily sensations as merely unpleasant but never as unwanted or dangerous.

Being "present" isn't going to achieve anything if you're still treating nervous bodily sensations as "danger".

Supporters of Eckhart Tolle believe "presence" is some magic bullet for overcoming all your mental ailments ... it's definitely not!

People naturally cycle between diffused & focused thinking modes without needing to artificially force the process of being more present (diffused mode). Just changing activities from focussed to non-focussed is all that is required for a healthy balance.

If you've been studying say for your next mathematics exam, procrastination can set in when the task seems daunting & overwhelming. Just setting smaller manageable chunks of 20 minute focussed learning intervals followed by good breaks (go for run or Walk and switch off for a while)....Can actually promote better learning & memory recall.

Inner body awareness is just B.S in my opinion.... it doesn't serve you any useful long term benefit for anything. If you want to become more present just go for a run along the beach or in the forest. Any activity which isn't too focussed in nature will get you into the diffused mode which aids in Mental fatigue recovery.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 am

Dylan,

Have you ever seen any of your idols, Tolle, Brand or Cyrus just relaxing or socializing with normal folk in a typical everyday fashion? More than likely you've only ever watched them in a YouTube video acting, singing or being a mouth piece to a crowd.

We have no idea how they perform as everyday folk... or even whether or not any of them feel comfortable in that kind of environment that normal folk do.

Tolle has said that he's never been comfortable socially with people in small talk... he's very introvert. Brand on the other hand is extroverted and probably can't stand being alone or unnoticed.

Everybody has their vice, no one is perfect in every way! Mainly people come in many shades of grey... Neither just black or white. :lol:
ashley72

Postby DavidB » Fri May 08, 2015 11:00 am

Ashley is correct, overcoming anxiety is counter intuitive. To overcome anxiety, one must in a sense, accept the inner body as it is, but not focus upon it. It becomes difficult for the introvert to accept the inner dimension of emotional turmoil but at the same time live in peaceful coexistence with it. I guess it is a matter of experience, we come to realize that what ever we may feel, no matter how intense, feelings are simply just that, an interpretation of circumstances. We can, as Byron Katie teaches us, to love what is, even what is going on internally. When we don't resist what is, even what is manifesting internally, we can then create a type of eye in storm so to speak, an inner dimension of peace and tranquility even though we may feel rather terrible.
DavidB

Postby Fore » Fri May 08, 2015 12:51 pm

DavidB wrote:. To overcome anxiety, one must in a sense, accept the inner body as it is, but not focus upon it.

First one must learn to feel this inner body, it usually begins with gross painful sensations, and much blindness, these will be the primary focus, it is common to work primarily with aversion when beginning this, as ones awareness develops subtler aspects of the body become apparent(you penetrate deeper) arising and passing becomes much more apparent, gaps are occurring, this begins to feel pleasant, now the opportunity to work with craving arises. If we think, now I'm doing this practice correctly, I feel so much better, we will regress, or get stuck at this stage. If we see this also as misery, we progress, and move deeper into this mind/body phenomenon. Feeling the arising and passing of these sensations with no attachment(reaction) to them is where the link in self creation is broken.
Fore

Postby DavidB » Mon May 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Fore wrote:
DavidB wrote:. To overcome anxiety, one must in a sense, accept the inner body as it is, but not focus upon it.

First one must learn to feel this inner body, it usually begins with gross painful sensations, and much blindness, these will be the primary focus, it is common to work primarily with aversion when beginning this, as ones awareness develops subtler aspects of the body become apparent(you penetrate deeper) arising and passing becomes much more apparent, gaps are occurring, this begins to feel pleasant, now the opportunity to work with craving arises. If we think, now I'm doing this practice correctly, I feel so much better, we will regress, or get stuck at this stage. If we see this also as misery, we progress, and move deeper into this mind/body phenomenon. Feeling the arising and passing of these sensations with no attachment(reaction) to them is where the link in self creation is broken.

I'm not really sure what you are saying here. However, "Feeling the arising and passing of these sensations with no attachment(reaction) to them is where the link in self creation is broken", I can agree with.

Acceptance and surrender are two vital aspects of transmuting the pain body, as is a generalized disassociation, depersonalization.
DavidB

Postby Fore » Tue May 26, 2015 2:15 am

DavidB wrote:
I'm not really sure what you are saying here.

We are generally caught up in thoughts, a storm of anxiety approaches, this brings with it much tension. Because we are not in continuous awareness of these bodily sensations, the anxiety storm gathers strength, we are overwhelmed and we panic looking for escape from this tension, we multiply(intensify the storm) by reacting with aversion to these tensions.

By developing this practice of observing sensations one is continually observing the arising and passing of these sensations, tensions arise stay for some time and subside, this is continually happening in the body, molecules are coming into existence and passing away. By learning to feel this process, an anxiety storm is seen when it first shows up on the radar, it is not blowing at full gale, the thoughts are not that intense, they are easier to put down.

When initially developing this practice it is common to work with unpleasant tensions(aversions), when these subside, we begin to work with subtler aspects or pleasant tensions(cravings).
Fore

Postby DavidB » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 am

Sure, it's a good practice to be aware of what one is feeling and thinking. If you go deeper though, past the thought and past the emotion, you might notice something deeper, something silent, still and unknowable.
DavidB

Postby sardinelover » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:38 pm

ashley72 wrote:Dylan,

Feeling the Inner body will not work to overcome any kind of typical nervous illness like social phobia, anxiety, panic, ocd or agoraphobia.
Inner body awareness is just B.S in my opinion.... it doesn't serve you any useful long term benefit for anything. If you want to become more present just go for a run along the beach or in the forest. Any activity which isn't too focussed in nature will get you into the diffused mode which aids in Mental fatigue recovery.

On the contrary. Putting awareness into the body can quickly dispel all forms of negativity, such as stress, anxiety, nervousness, worry, anger, hatred, resentment, bitterness, loneliness, sadness and countless other manifestations.

Body awareness can and will fully dissolve all forms of negativity within about 3-5 minutes. What's left is stillness, and the body will feel light and at ease. Negativity causes the body to tighten, to constrict, to prepare for "fight or flight". A complete absence of negativity in the body will make it light and fluid.

You can't reason or theorize your way out of negativity(as you have done) because reasoning and theorizing is thinking, and since thinking is the cause of the negativity, thinking cannot also be the solution to negativity.

But don't just blindly believe what I am telling you. Try it, and know it for yourself to be true.
Relax your face
sardinelover

Postby sardinelover » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Dylan, here is another thread about the inner body, which you may find helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12528
Relax your face
sardinelover

Return to Questions