Is attention IT?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Is attention IT?

Postby Joec42 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi guys

I recently watched a video where Eckhart said 'the attention is it'
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QV0MQFe_E4

So are attention and awareness the same thing?

There are lots of other spiritual teachers who say No, awareness is a different thing. I find it hard to just be awareness but I find it easy to put attention on my breath because I can be aware of thoughts arising when I do that.

Hope you can help clarify this for me
Joec42

Re: Is attention IT?

Postby kiki » Tue May 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Attention moves from object to object while awareness is all encompassing. In other words, awareness is the background and attention is like a moving spotlight that continually scans objects that arise within the background.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: Is attention IT?

Postby ashley72 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:15 am

From a neuroscience perspective there is two main types of attention.

Dorsal & Ventral....or Focused & Diffused.

Focused is like a spotlight attention that stays with a particular narrow focus, in a sequential fashion 1,2,3,4... this is handled by the left side of the brain.

On the other hand, diffused attention doesn't focus on anything in particular and is parallel in nature... Handled by the right side of the brain.

Focused attention seems to be more to do with self awareness or subjectiveness (viewer centric). Whereas, diffused attention would be more allo-centric (object centric).

I find with my self, I suffer from less anxiety or self judgement when in the diffused mode, you kind of switch off and stop labeling everything around you as either good or bad.

Personally, we need both attention types to function fully. But you can get out of balance & spend an unhealthy amount of time in the focused mode.

A good practice is to try and notice or reflect on when you switch between each attention mode... and see the very different qualities about each attention mode.
ashley72

Return to Questions