Does morality have to be harsh and judgmental

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Does morality have to be harsh and judgmental

Postby jtightlips21 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:05 pm

It seems like at the core, we think of morality as acting in benevolence or love towards others. Yet, in practice, it seems like people can do some horrible and degrading things in the name of morality. Usually towards those who do not fit into certain moral standards.

Yet I cannot help wonder if the harsh and judgmental morals are just mind dominated egoic values.
jtightlips21

Re: Does morality have to be harsh and judgmental

Postby Fore » Fri May 29, 2015 1:36 am

jtightlips21 wrote:
Yet I cannot help wonder if the harsh and judgmental morals are just mind dominated egoic values.

Agreed.
Fore

Postby DavidB » Fri May 29, 2015 2:30 am

Fore wrote:
jtightlips21 wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed.

These harsh and judgmental morals are futile attempts to force the universe to conform to narrow standards of perceived value. These all arise out fear. The fear of living exposed in a hostile universe, the fear of being vulnerable.

However, the evidence around us suggests that the fear is not entirely without foundation, it is not entirely irrational. Faced with the fact that the universe can indeed be quite brutal, being a limited little meat bag does face some very large challenges in that respect.

This human existence is an existence of limitation, vulnerability and loss, the fear we might experience is based on this fact. The harshness so often created through egoistic morality, is a fear based response to limitation, vulnerability and loss. It's an attempt to create a perceived order where there is a perceived disorder, an attempt to create a perceived safety where there is a perceived vulnerability, all though ultimately counterproductive and futile. Because in the end, we are vulnerable, we are all very limited, and we all must experience loss.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby jtightlips21 » Fri May 29, 2015 4:46 am

DavidB wrote:
Fore wrote:
jtightlips21 wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed.

These harsh and judgmental morals are futile attempts to force the universe to conform to narrow standards of perceived value. These all arise out fear. The fear of living exposed in a hostile universe, the fear of being vulnerable.

However, the evidence around us suggests that the fear is not entirely without foundation, it is not entirely irrational. Faced with the fact that the universe can indeed be quite brutal, being a limited little meat bag does face some very large challenges in that respect.

This human existence is an existence of limitation, vulnerability and loss, the fear we might experience is based on this fact. The harshness so often created through egoistic morality, is a fear based response to limitation, vulnerability and loss. It's an attempt to create a perceived order where there is a perceived disorder, an attempt to create a perceived safety where there is a perceived vulnerability, all though ultimately counterproductive and futile. Because in the end, we are vulnerable, we are all very limited, and we all must experience loss.

I wonder if we are looking at it from an egoic perspective. I take a lot of my understandings about metaphysics from CS Lewis. Where he has assigned levels of reality to existence, that God is more real than man, and man is more real than matter. Or in other new age terms, consciousness is the ground of being, not matter, according to Amit Goswami. So I wonder if what we see of a world grounded in power, competition, and arbitrary weakness is just a crude surface reality that is at best shallow enough for the ego to grasp at.
jtightlips21

Postby DavidB » Sun May 31, 2015 4:53 am

jtightlips21 wrote:I wonder if we are looking at it from an egoic perspective.

Yes, somewhat. It's impossible to discuss ideas without the false sense of self being involved to some degree.

jtightlips21 wrote:consciousness is the ground of being, not matter, according to Amit Goswami.

Yes, that is a true enough assessment of reality.

jtightlips21 wrote:So I wonder if what we see of a world grounded in power, competition, and arbitrary weakness is just a crude surface reality that is at best shallow enough for the ego to grasp at.

Yes, the ego is a product of the mind, the mind is a product of the body, and the body is a product of this material existence. All being temporary forms of course, will all perish and disintegrate, which is why the ego has such a hard time of it all, knowing that it is doomed to perish with the body, and having no way to become immortal, so to speak.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to Questions