Journalling And Hanging On To The Past

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Journalling And Hanging On To The Past

Postby aggiem » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:19 pm

I have journalled for almost my entire life. I am currently going through a "Spring cleaning" and am working on my papers and am looking at this stack of journals. The question arose to whether the hanging on to them is problematic and whether it might be beneficial to let them all go as they are really just the past put on paper. Any perspective on this would be welcomed.
aggiem

Re: Journalling And Hanging On To The Past

Postby rachMiel » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Hanging on -- in the sense of being emotionally attached -- to *anything* eventually brings some degree of personal suffering.

That said, keeping a written record of your life can be an excellent way to learn about what makes you tick. It can also be great fun!

I keep all my journals. And every so often I revisit old entries to remind myself what I used to think about. But I don't regard them as anything more than snapshots of past moments in my internal life. Now is where the rubber meets the road, right?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby DavidB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 am

I don't see anything wrong with keeping old journals. It's a bit like keeping old photos. Nobody would suggest that you throughout your old photos.

The point to human existence is to live at peace with limitation, vulnerability, and loss. We can understand this perfectly fine without the need to deny ourselves the things we enjoy and cherish. We do not need to live as ascetics in order to know the truth of our own existence.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby sardinelover » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Throw all your journals into the bin. Nothing that you did or said in the past matters now. Hanging onto the past will keep you trapped in unconsciousness and drain you of energy and vitality.
Relax your face
sardinelover

Return to Questions