Intense awareness experience

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Intense awareness experience

Postby bobdylanfan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Hey everyone, I wanted to ask a question about awareness. I've been involved with balanced view for the last two years and they talk about resting as awareness, I found when I was around other people in the training then I could take these moments of awareness but when I was away from the training for a few days I would start falling back into all my thoughts emotions etc.

So thinking this was a real dependency and wanting to be able to explore my reality and discover my own awareness I started listening to rupert spira. His practice of asking the question am I aware has been very very powerful and helpful. I have felt hugely connected to people and especially nature for the last few days . It's kind of been overwhelming at times but also very interesting and exciting aswell. I have felt very alert and kind of lost at the same time, it feels like I'm kind of letting go of my identity and finding it hard to talk to people cause I feel I'm gonna blow up with this energy. It's very new and a little scary and I wondered if you just settle into it. The main thing is I'm not feeling that heart warmth and love that I did with the balanced view practice and wondered if any could help with this ?

Thanks a lot much love

Xxx
bobdylanfan

Re: Intense awareness experience

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:23 pm

When I run into something new and powerful in the realm of inquiry, I also sometimes get overwhelmed. What I usually do to mitigate the intensity is to yo-yo away from the new insight, then back to it, away, back ... kind of approach it sideways rather than head on. Might be worth a try for you ... ?

I'm familiar with Spira, but not with his Am I aware? technique. Could you describe it or share a link? Thanks!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby bobdylanfan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Awesome thanks a lot for your reply, that seems like a great approach to settle into the intensity. Here's the link, it's really life changing stuff in my opinion. Enjoy xx

http://youtu.be/j4nDvnzhg6o
bobdylanfan

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Resting in awareness has a unique purpose. It allows our true nature to regain some prominence in our experience. While we focus our attention on the stuff of our daily life, energy naturally flows into this thinking and affects our experience relative to the type of thoughts and focus we are having. Resting in awareness allows a natural return toward being rather than doing. When resting in the moment feel the increase or enhancement of being. Thinking distracts from the feeling. Feeling is the language of being.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:44 pm

bobdylanfan wrote:Awesome thanks a lot for your reply, that seems like a great approach to settle into the intensity.

Settle in ... nice. :-)

Here's the link, it's really life changing stuff in my opinion. Enjoy xx

http://youtu.be/j4nDvnzhg6o

Thanks. Awesome video! So, do you ask yourself "Am I aware?" several times a day?
rachMiel

Postby bobdylanfan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah kind of I've seen in another video Rupert asked someone are u aware ? They paused and said yes and then he said now ask yourself the same question but instead of answering yes check and see if you are aware. That then brings you too awareness . Instead of asking am I aware I ask myself are you aware ? I ask it maybe fifty times a day at the mo because I'm quite fascinated by it . Please let me know how it goes for u I'd love to know if it helps . Much love xxx
bobdylanfan

Postby lmp » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Perhaps you would like to talk over the nature of this awareness, whether it is located in time and space. The time aspect being a belief that it has a temporary nature, appearing at some point and disappearing at some other point. The space aspect being the belief that it is located somewhere and sharing the properties of that object where it is located.

The question of time is typically to do with death or other aspects of coming to an end. The question of space is typically to do with a need or a lack, the sense of not being fullfilled.

I dont have the answer to these, I can just formulate the question. If you wish we could stumble forward.
lmp

Postby CaiHong » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:25 am

Thanks Bobdylanfan (I am one too),
For the link. I loved the simplicity of what he said. yesterday I got quite frazzled with the demands of my family, I lost my quiet place and started to question the validity of my journey. The video reminded me that I can return to the peaceful place and deal with the world

CaiHong
CaiHong

Postby rachMiel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:08 am

I've heard the virtues of this technique extolled by many awareness/presence traditions: the quickie, as Lama Surya Das calls it.

Several times a day, stop/slow the internal chatter, and "check in" with what's really going on. Just for a minute or two, maybe less. Then let it go and slide back into your normal everyday flow.

One of the benefits of this for me is that it discourages my hungry little mind from building a story of *GETTING ENLIGHTENED!* which sometimes happens when I do formal on-the-cushion meditation.
rachMiel

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:57 pm

I'd recommend staying with the intensity. Life moves us where we need to go. That can seem intense, but the unpleasantness of any intensity is more caused by our resistance to this new movement, rather than by the new movement itself. Accepting the intense / strange experiences allows the clearing of our resistances and the flowing of deeper energy pathways to bring the light of higher awareness into our humanity. Trust that you are being directed into this new experience by benevolent and intelligent Life. Let yourself go into the flow of this greater Life without the worry of whether or not it is too intense or if you are doing the right thing. Just let go and allow yourself to be taken home.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:05 pm

rachMiel wrote:I've heard the virtues of this technique extolled by many awareness/presence traditions: the quickie, as Lama Surya Das calls it.

Several times a day, stop/slow the internal chatter, and "check in" with what's really going on. Just for a minute or two, maybe less. Then let it go and slide back into your normal everyday flow.

One of the benefits of this for me is that it discourages my hungry little mind from building a story of *GETTING ENLIGHTENED!* which sometimes happens when I do formal on-the-cushion meditation.

I recommend this as well or at least works for me.

Being with a sensation is very vague advice to tell someone in my opinion who is going through compulsive thinking patterns. Meaning, staying with a sensation can be incredibly helpful.....until....the mind steps in and starts that loop again. Just watching your thoughts does not always help, especially when those thoughts patterns stem from trauma and trauma can be ANYTHING that is perceived a certain way at any point in your life. I know from experience.

Sometimes, it absolutely does help to delve deeper into your experience into why certain thinking patterns are the way they are. Not all of the time. Sometimes, it's simply helpful just to watch your thoughts/sensations and allow your feelings to guide you going forward. Thoughts can simply be just thoughts. But, sometimes, some of us have had traumas early in our lives or past lives that simply cause such energetic resonance that it's very difficult to just stay with the sensation because the thought patterns continue and continue and continue to bring on an energetic resonance within the emotional body. Making those thought patterns conscious can sometimes work wonders. It's working for me as I work with a counselor. I can say that much.
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Yes, looping ... as an OCD guy, I know it very very well.

And you're right E2B, sometimes staying with a painful experience can = replaying the pain over and over, with no real release from the pain or "lesson learned" from it. Just the looping with the Pain knob turned to 11.

Even that can be storified:

I'm ENDURING the suffering honestly, without trying to hide from it. What a brave soul I am!

I've bought into that story line many many times. Probably my Catholic upbringing, where suffering was seen as a virtue. After all, Jesus let himself be tortured and crucified to save humanity ... Oy!

Part of intelligence is being able to discern when one is accepting pain vs.being trapped in it (or even, at times, luxuriating in it).
rachMiel

Postby tod » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:06 am

rachMiel wrote:Part of intelligence is being able to discern when one is accepting pain vs.being trapped in it (or even, at times, luxuriating in it).

Yes rM, a really important distinction I feel. Sometimes the story is about wanting to get out of pain but unconsciously luxuriating in it, ie taking self-indulgent delight in it.

This, to me, is delight in the mesmerisation of thoughts and words. Being enmeshed in the spell they weave. And it takes some work for this to become conscious.

You remain as awareness as much as possible in all situations, because you unflinchingly KNOW this is what you are. You notice what makes you fail and what is the consequence. It is an iterative proceedure, not always conscious.

At some stage, it may be seen that failure and consequence are mental constructs that you are aware of as awareness. or that you as awareness are aware of.

There is nothing you as awareness are not aware of - as awareness is aware of mental constructs, and that is all that is going on - if anything is going on.
tod

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:58 am

If anyone is interested, check out this article by Susan Kahn. She's pretty hardcore in the non-dual region (which many on this board will resonate with) who writes about emptiness teachings and is a psychotherapist. While I don't fully resonate with the emptiness teachings in the regards to the no self (granted, I agree with the no-ego self), I like her outlook and she's an awesome woman that I've spoken to through email and she talks about how awakening is not always an easy (1,2,3) transition for everyone as sometimes, initial psychotherapy can be of assistance to some to help break apart those compulsive thought patterns.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, I recommend this article of hers:

http://emptinessteachings.com/2012/09/07/reconsidering-psychotherapy-a-nondual-opening-to-diversity/
Enlightened2B

Postby dijmart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:36 am

Enlightened2B wrote:While I don't fully resonate with the emptiness teachings in the regards to the no self (granted, I agree with the no-ego self)

I respectfully ask, what's their difference for you? To me I see none.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Next

Return to Questions