Is there any place for heavy metal?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Is there any place for heavy metal?

Postby skyride » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:43 am

Hey everyone,

Firstly I am most definitely not "awakened" as many of you seem to be. I do have a strong belief in Eckharts teachings though and in the benefits of meditation and learning to become more conscious and present. I did a meditation retreat a few years ago where we could not talk for a week and only meditated and through it I glimpsed a world of stillness.

I am going to begin meditating much more frequently very soon, but am at a stage in my life where I am fairly depressed, unmotivated and generally struggling with life.

One of the things I love most in the world and get the most enjoyment out of is music, especially "power metal" or "groove metal" type music such as iron maiden, judas preist and hammerfall.

I have brought a guitar and am beginning to practice metal method, but I wonder is there really a place for this type of music for somebody who has become more conscious?

I wonder if I should even start playing if it will cause negativity and push me away from consciousness.

Is there a place for heavy metal/electric guitar in a conscious spirit?
skyride

Re: Is there any place for heavy metal?

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 pm

You're the best judge of that for you. How does it feel when you listen or play? If it makes you feel good, uplifted, loving, then it's likely something positive for you. If you feel tense, edgy, angry, etc, maybe exploring a different type of music would be in order.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:11 pm

skyride wrote:Hey everyone,

Firstly I am most definitely not "awakened" as many of you seem to be. I do have a strong belief in Eckharts teachings though and in the benefits of meditation and learning to become more conscious and present. I did a meditation retreat a few years ago where we could not talk for a week and only meditated and through it I glimpsed a world of stillness.

I am going to begin meditating much more frequently very soon, but am at a stage in my life where I am fairly depressed, unmotivated and generally struggling with life.

One of the things I love most in the world and get the most enjoyment out of is music, especially "power metal" or "groove metal" type music such as iron maiden, judas preist and hammerfall.

I have brought a guitar and am beginning to practice metal method, but I wonder is there really a place for this type of music for somebody who has become more conscious?

I wonder if I should even start playing if it will cause negativity and push me away from consciousness.

Is there a place for heavy metal/electric guitar in a conscious spirit?

Hell yes! But, be aware of your motivations.

Honestly, music moves me greatly. I'm a guitar player myself (or used to be) and while I don't really listen to 'angry metal' music anymore or much metal in general, I find the musicianship in rock and roll music, such as the ones you mentioned and many others to be inspiring. Granted, I've been listening to a lot more spiritual music of late as it seems to resonate more so with where I am at/want to be at internally, I do listen to rock and roll a lot still, especially if I'm in the mood for it (in my car driving to the beach, etc). Go listen to an old Scorpions record and hear Uli Jon Roth's guitar playing. I still get chills listening to the 'feel' and 'heart' that some of these musicians use with their music. Making a guitar sing and cry which often happens with rock and roll musicians who understand phrasing and 'feel' at the same time, could move me to tears still. Where is your motivation for the music?

The idea that it's unspiritual to listen to a certain type of music or enjoy a certain type of activity only applies within the context of your own perception for doing as such. Meaning, if you are not listening to a type of music because you feel it is 'unspiritual', that's silly. Yet, if you're not listening to a type of music because it makes you feel angry or depressed, then perhaps, it's not in your best interest to delve into that area.

Most of all, DON'T OVERTHINK IT.

Just listen to the music and simply observe how it makes you feel.
Enlightened2B

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I still listen to metal. I love it - don't give a fu£k if some people think it isn't spiritual. Practising stillness while listening to Septicflesh is epic. You can hear much more detail in the music. I love the dark passion of metal - as valid as any other form of life experience if you ask me.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:37 pm

SepticFlesh?? haha. I'm not even going to ask what that is.

But, yea, I agree with your take Jack.
Enlightened2B

Postby skyride » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:44 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm loving the support for metal in our lives :).

I really love heavy metal and am constantly in "awe" when listening to kick ass guitar licks. I guess my only concern is that I recognize the lyrics can often be perceived as negative, angry or vengeful.

The thing I find about metal though is the lyrics and songs usually tell a story from a perspective of a character of sorts, or present moral ideas and concepts and play with them - and I find it interesting to think about the song writers meaning (what story is he telling?)

I would like to think that as I grow spirituality and learn to dis-identify with my thoughts more and more, I can still appreciate and enjoy these "stories", understanding they are coming from a place of ego, without drawing me into any sort of anger or negativity.

If we look at fictional stories for example, if we are to be awakened should we stop reading them also?
skyride

Postby skyride » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 am

In answer to Webwanderer I nearly always feel uplifted but can also feel edgy listening to metal because it's so fast paced.

I find it difficult to relax when listening to it at night before bed (not surprising when I think about it lol) and I find it does stay stuck in my head after i've finished listening.

I have a generally anxious/fast paced mind with a tendency to hold on to physical states and thoughts (OCD type behaviors for example) though so this may be a reflection of that.
skyride

Postby rachMiel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:22 am

Awesome Jack! :-)

A few years ago I went to a Buddhist retreat, meditated all day, watched horror movies all night. I had not the slightest trouble moving between the two.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:29 am

rachMiel wrote:Awesome Jack! :-)

A few years ago I went to a Buddhist retreat, meditated all day, watched horror movies all night. I had not the slightest trouble moving between the two.

What kind of horror movies? What era? I'm a huge horror fan.
Enlightened2B

Postby DavidB » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:02 am

OMG yes, I love heavy metal.

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I loved listening Iron Maiden and Judas priest. I went to the 'World Slavery Tour' in 1985. I'm also a massive AC/DC fan and am going to the AC/DC concert in December with my Mr's. Can't wait. Will also see Iron Maiden again if they tour here. My favorite songs of all time are 'Number of the Beast' and 'Phantom of the Opera'. I absolutely love the albums "Iron Maiden', 'Killers' and 'Number of Beast'. :twisted:

You enjoy yourself, you live the life out of that music. :D
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:25 am

I love these conversations. ##shatteringspiritualmyths.

The way I see it spirituality is about growing in acceptance by exploring our resistance through living. If we experience resistance while listening to music - be it metal, or pop, or classical - where is that resistance? Is it in the music? Or is it in our perception of the music? Is the resistance external, or internal?

Each of us hold our own unique collection of resistances formed from our experiences here. Our preferences for or against specific musical genres is a great way of exploring these. As is our preference for films, culture or experience generally.

The content of the moment is our gateway to growth - irrespective of whether this content is deemed to be 'spiritual' to us in any given moment. Everything is Spirit (the Moment), everything is spiritual. Shattering the myth that the content of some moments is more or less spiritual than others is an important step in our development.

That said, some bands certainly make a more direct mention to spirituality in their work. The album Lateralus by the American metal band Tool is the best example I can think of. In the first track (entitled, The Grudge) the lyrics describe the processes of egoic manipulation - seemingly following an individual through a process of spiritual awakening. The originality of the lyrics suggest to me that the lyricist has personal experience of awakening, rather than simply repeating the content of something he has read (the little I've read about him also fits this). Below I've copied the lyrics and a link to the song for anyone who's interested. It's one of my all time favourite songs (along with track 9 off from this album, entitled, Lateralus).

"The Grudge"

"Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.

Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. Hang on or be humbled again.

Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.
Saturn ascends, comes round again.
Saturn ascends, the one, the ten. Ignorant to the damage done.

Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.

Wear your grudge like a crown. Desperate to control.
Unable to forgive. And we're sinking deeper.

Defining, confining, controlling, and we're sinking deeper.

Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let's you choose what you will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent.

Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go.

Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and
Transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and
Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EiR1hmpk-x4
EnterZenFromThere

Postby rachMiel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:What kind of horror movies? What era? I'm a huge horror fan.

I'm an all era horror movie lover. My subgenre of choice is supernatural, especially haunted houses and possessions, but I've watched broadly in all subgenres. I don't like torture chic or realistic serial killer movies. I'm a sucker for atmosphere and nuance.

You?
rachMiel

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:38 pm

DavidB wrote: I absolutely love the albums "Iron Maiden', 'Killers' and 'Number of Beast'. :twisted:

You enjoy yourself, you live the life out of that music. :D

Saw them about 10 years ago. I was introduced to metal when I first heard 'Hallowed be thy name'....my goodness.

Their first two albums are my favorite. "Iron Maiden" and "Killers". I'm more of an old school metal fan, so I appreciated the rawness of the Paul Di' Anno era Maiden. But, love all of their music.
Enlightened2B

Postby Enlightened2B » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:51 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Enlightened2B wrote:What kind of horror movies? What era? I'm a huge horror fan.

I'm an all era horror movie lover. My subgenre of choice is supernatural, especially haunted houses and possessions, but I've watched broadly in all subgenres. I don't like torture chic or realistic serial killer movies. I'm a sucker for atmosphere and nuance.

You?

I'm with you. I don't do the 'torture' flicks. Didn't even really care for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I know they've become somewhat popular of late. But, I definitely like haunted house movies. Two movies which fit the description of atmosphere and nuance for me personally were 'the changeling' and 'the hearse'. I think they were late 70's. Both haunted house movies and both really creepy atmosphere.

I do like old school monster gore also like werewolf stuff, because it was 'fun' and not disturbing such as watching a guy get tied up in a chair and having someone cut his ear off. No thanks. I also appreciate the old school special effects in the 70's and 80's. These special effects people were real artists especially with the flow of monster movies in the late 70's into the late 80's. But, to each their own.

I'll still say this. 'The Haunting' from the 60's is still, to this day, the scariest move I've ever seen as I watched it with my parents when I was a little boy. You talk about atmosphere? Wow, that movie had it all. I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing it. 8)
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:56 pm

I also can't watch Texas Chainsaw stuff anymore. I enjoy silly gore (Evil Dead, Dead Alive), but not realistic mean-spirited gore.

I won't watch The Haunting again ... too disturbing and in-the-gut scary. Same for The Exorcist, which bothered me for YEARs after I originally saw it. Ditto for Don't Look Now. Don't get me wrong, these are all *excellent* horror movies, in my top-10 list for sure. It's just that they're too hard for me to watch.

I don't know if I ever saw The Changeling, but I did see The Hearse (so long ago I don't remember the details!).

Other favorites in the supernatural realm: The Legend of Hell House, Paranormal Activity I, The Others (too creepy to re-see), In the Mouth of Madness, The Ring, Candyman, 1408.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Val Lewton / Jacques Tourneur movies. Do you know them? If not, you're in for a real treat. :-)
rachMiel

Next

Return to Questions