Is there any place for heavy metal?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: Is there any place for heavy metal?

Postby Enlightened2B » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:19 am

rachMiel wrote:I'm a HUGE fan of the Val Lewton / Jacques Tourneur movies. Do you know them? If not, you're in for a real treat. :-)

The original Evil Dead is one of my favorites. I don't think I'm familiar with these two people although, I guarantee, I've seen at least some of the movies they made. But, I'll google them.
Enlightened2B

Postby rachMiel » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:42 am

Start with I Walked with a Zombie. It's a gorgeous film. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby DavidB » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:
DavidB wrote: I absolutely love the albums "Iron Maiden', 'Killers' and 'Number of Beast'. :twisted:

You enjoy yourself, you live the life out of that music. :D

Saw them about 10 years ago. I was introduced to metal when I first heard 'Hallowed be thy name'....my goodness.

Their first two albums are my favorite. "Iron Maiden" and "Killers". I'm more of an old school metal fan, so I appreciated the rawness of the Paul Di' Anno era Maiden. But, love all of their music.

Yeah absolutely, Paul had an awesome voice. It's such a shame he had drug issues and was dropped by the band. I love Bruce Dickinson of course, in his early years with the Irons he was absolutely awesome, but later on his voice changed and could no longer hold the high notes, and the high notes are essential for metal, except for maybe death, or thrash metal, such as Cannibal Corpse, which have some very disturbing lyrics.

I was in the 90's also a massive fan of Pantera, Sepultura, Metallica, and Megadeath, but also thoroughly enjoyed Faith no More, Mr Bungle, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and various glam metal bands such as Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, Motley Crew et all. As well as grunge bands such as Nirvana, and also a plethora of local bands I used to see in live venues late on a Friday and Saturday nights. :D
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm

I never thought I'd see someone talk anout Mr Bungle on here. Air Conditioned Nightmare is a great track :)

I grew up on Metallica and Sepultura. Lovely to see other aficionados of the darker sounds here 8)
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Enlightened2B » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:08 am

Sepultura's old stuff were awesome when they were strictly thrash metal band. They did an awesome cover of a Motorhead song "orgasmatron" which I loved. Loved the Chili Peppers older funkier stuff from their first few albums as well. Originally it was an outlet for me for my anger. But, part of the appreciation for me, of heavy metal music, over time, was the diversity and influence that metal stemmed from, from so many different genres including blues, jazz and classical music in particular. I've always found it interesting to see how the music itself evolved over time to where it's at now.
Enlightened2B

Postby freedompresence » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:22 am

it is very weird. because recently I've been having new experiences and new feelings as I became more accustomed to "spirituality." music that I used to enjoy are not as attractive anymore. And days I have a trouble sleeping I'd play some different types of music to sooth myself to sleep. I tried many different genre, including "spiritual" type of music. but last night, I find it odd, nothing soothed me to sleep as much as Slayer and Slipknot autoplaying on youtube. I was never a big fan of metal. But last night the music seemed so soothing and I woke up feeling pretty good too. I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics but the sound of instruments sounded a lot more soothing to meditational music or spiritual music recommended by eckhart such as Deva Premal.
freedompresence

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:03 am

Everyone is different FP. If it works for you then it works for you. I find it funny that what some people define as "spiritual" isn't necessarily appropriate for everyone in every situation :)
EnterZenFromThere

Previous

Return to Questions