Is devotion to a guru essential ?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Is devotion to a guru essential ?

Postby bobdylanfan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Hey guys I'm involved with the balanced view training and a dedicated group will meet twice a week and have a Skype call with candice who is the founder. I found the first few weeks of these calls SO powerful and overwhelming, I didn't think there could be a transmission power like that via the Internet but this is someone who has been realised for 30 years so it seems anything a possible. Anyway about a year into these calls I became more comfortable with this powerful energy and once I was able to recognise it as this beautiful presence I realised it to be pure love and it was wonderful. I felt such love for my teacher, friends, family everyone . And then I completely freaked out and left, I was too uncomfortable and I look back now and wonder was this just my ego fearing its imminent death and kicking up a fight. Do you think devotion to a guru is an essential part of letting go of your ego or perhaps a faster path :) ?

Love
bobdylanfan

Re: Is devotion to a guru essential ?

Postby rachMiel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:03 pm

I think surrendering is an important part of the process.

Some people surrender to a guru via devotion and unconditional love/acceptance.

Others surrender to truth, or to life itself.

Any of these surrenderings will loosen ego's grip, I think. So imo it boils down to: What works for you?

For example, I don't have it in me to surrender to a teacher. Knowing this, I don't try. My surrender is more along the lines of acceptance, then embracing of (what I take to be) reality.

Given your history, it sounds like you have the ability to surrender to a guru. In which case *total devotion* (or thereabouts) might be worth a try, see how it goes. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm

I think RM has a good points in his post. I came across this (below) and thought it was appropriate here, regardless of your path I think it applies.

"Your own self is your ultimate teacher (sadguru). The outer teacher (guru) is merely a milestone. It is only your inner teacher that will walk with you to the goal, for it is the goal. "

Nisargadatta

http://www.nonduality.com/asmi2.htm
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby bobdylanfan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for your response guys, Rachel I'm interested to know why you say I don't have it in me to devote to a teacher. Do you think this is your ego saying this ?

Love
bobdylanfan

Postby dijmart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 pm

bobdylanfan wrote:Thanks for your response guys, Rachel I'm interested to know why you say I don't have it in me to devote to a teacher. Do you think this is your ego saying this ?

Love

That's not what he said, reread his post
dijmart

Postby bobdylanfan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:49 pm

That's not what who said ? I'm refering to Rachel's post

"For example, I don't have it in me to surrender to a teacher. Knowing this, I don't try. My surrender is more along the lines of acceptance, then embracing of (what I take to be) reality."
bobdylanfan

Postby dijmart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:39 pm

bobdylanfan wrote:That's not what who said ? I'm refering to Rachel's post

"For example, I don't have it in me to surrender to a teacher. Knowing this, I don't try. My surrender is more along the lines of acceptance, then embracing of (what I take to be) reality."

Rachmiel is a guy! It's not rachel. Anyways, he was referencing himself, hence the word " I" that he used, he was not speaking of you! He was speaking of himself in that sentence.
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:01 pm

What dij said. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Then, he goes on to say-

Given your history, it sounds like you have the ability to surrender to a guru. In which case *total devotion* (or thereabouts) might be worth a try, see how it goes. 

And, this was referencing you!
dijmart

Postby randomguy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Do you think devotion to a guru is an essential part of letting go of your ego or perhaps a faster path :) ?

I don't. Who sees one's true nature but one's self? A guru only points to what you already are. I do think there is something to the resonance of meeting. But the recognition of love and other realizations happen within, perhaps in response to the resonance perhaps not. Is the guru placing it there? I don't think so. It's already there. You and the guru are the same nature already. What is a faster path? This is the path, whatever experience arises. The experience of ego is part of it.

I like the story of Nisargadatta and his guru (from 'I Am That')

When I met my Guru, he told me: 'You are not what you take yourself to be. Find out what you are. Watch the sense 'I am', find your real self'.

I obeyed him, because I trusted him. I did as he told me. All my spare time I would spend looking at myself in silence. And what a difference it made, and how soon!

It took me only three years to realise my true nature. My Guru died soon after I met him, but it made no difference. I remembered what he told me and persevered. The fruit of it is here, with me.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby bobdylanfan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:18 am

Sorry my mistake rach I didnt mean to call you a girl :) I should of put speech marks in the sentence and it would of made sense, like this.

Thanks for your response guys, Rachel I'm interested to know why you say, "I don't have it in me to devote to a teacher." Do you think this is your ego saying this ?

Love
bobdylanfan

Postby dijmart » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:53 am

bobdylanfan wrote:Sorry my mistake rach I didnt mean to call you a girl :) I should of put speech marks in the sentence and it would of made sense, like this.

Thanks for your response guys, Rachel I'm interested to know why you say, "I don't have it in me to devote to a teacher." Do you think this is your ego saying this ?

Love

Haha, oh, I get it!
dijmart

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:54 pm

I was talking to some people about this recently. Francis Bennett and Adyashanti's conversation on BATGAP (on YouTube) covers this very well. The way I see it (largely thanks to this conversation) devotion is a vital aspect of spiritual progress. That could potentially be devotion to anything - the object of devotion isn't important, it's the intention behind the devotion. For some people their particular make up will make a guru necessary as the focus of this devotion. For some it could be more casual as a teacher. For others it could be a mountain (as with Ramana Maharshi's devotion to his mountain). Or it could be to Life or God or whatever.

For me I surrender am devoted to the Grace of God - I surrender all that I am to that, I relax in the trust that all is the Grace of God. That any power I perceive myself to have is actually the Grace of God - to that Grace I am utterly powerless. This surrender clarifies what I am so I can become a more effective vehicle for the transmission of Divine Love as a gift from God to all beings - which are actually also God - so, God's gift to Itself.

<3
EnterZenFromThere

Return to Questions