Thought vs Intuition

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Thought vs Intuition

Postby bobdylanfan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:25 am

Hey guys I have an example of being devoted to a root trainer for about a year and then have a big freak out and leaving the training I was involved with. As you move deeper into awareness and spend more time with a guru I'm wondering how to distinguish between the thought I don't think this is right for me which could be your ego trying to survive vs your intuition knowing that something isn't right for you and letting it go ?

Thanks

Love xxxx
bobdylanfan

Re: Thought vs Intuition

Postby kiki » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 am

I would trust your intuition over what thought tells you. The "gut" seems to know what the mind won't always acknowledge. Thoughts are fickle, and will change with the wind, while gut feelings/intuition comes from a deeper place, and tends to be more stable. That deeper place is closer to the pure knowingness of true nature.

Sometimes you can "out think" yourself in this awakening game, which is just another way for mind to remain the dominant influence, a clever egoic trick. "Be still and know" is my advice. By that I mean consciously remain in the stillness of being, and then go with what you feel is right.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby bobdylanfan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:59 am

Brilliant thanks Kiki, that helps me distinguish the difference between the two and gives me something to get more acquainted with. In regards to getting in touch with my own being, I have a question about this which has been buggin me for a few weeks. I use a rupert spira self inquiry question "am I aware? " and I find there's two results with it.

If I ask am I aware ? The question will take me to the experience of awareness which feels powerful, alert and clear and I find I'm MUCH more connected to nature and I feel music a lot more. But I also feel quite uncomfortable, bare and naked and also kinda lose interest in needing to see and connect with people. I feel content and comfortable listening to some music in my bedroom but I also feel like you can really get lost in this place, it kinda feels like I'm floating above everything and I'm not grounded enough to engage with people.

Whereas if I ask the question and answer with yes I feel a real warmth and love in my heart area, but I don't feel as presence for some reason. I thinks it's because my mind rises to ask the question, awareness is experienced and mind retracts and then mind reaapears to answer "YES"

What do you think Kiki ?

Thanks buddy ,

Love
bobdylanfan

Postby kiki » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm

If I ask am I aware ? The question will take me to the experience of awareness which feels powerful, alert and clear and I find I'm MUCH more connected to nature and I feel music a lot more.

Yes; that's the beauty of his question. This is helpful to people who are struggling to know what "being aware" is in the present moment. It's such a simple thing that people overlook it, convinced it's complicated and something to be acquired. It's not.

But I also feel quite uncomfortable, bare and naked and also kinda lose interest in needing to see and connect with people.

Yes, you are bare and naked because mind is bypassed. It's the mind that "clothes" everything it sees with labels and ideas of separation and what it would prefer to do. Without all of that you are naked and bare awareness/consciousness. There is nothing remaining to give mind its familiar support to which it is habituated.

... but I also feel like you can really get lost in this place,

Yes, you sure can.

it kinda feels like I'm floating above everything and I'm not grounded enough to engage with people.

It's a strange feeling because you are not used to it at first. You may find yourself getting less interested in the story lines of others' lives, and therefore not wishing to engage with people as you once did, and then gravitate to more solitary activities. Interactions with others will happen in a more quiet way; listening more and responding from silence rather than interjecting and reacting from conditioned mind. In other words, you step out of their games as your own storyline of games begins to dissolve. You see the fantasy of the mind created drama all around you more and more clearly, and you see how your own fantasy life was created and shaped how you viewed yourself.

Whereas if I ask the question and answer with yes I feel a real warmth and love in my heart area,

That's good.

but I don't feel as presence for some reason.

I think this is quite normal in the beginning. In due time the feeling of presence will take root even during mind activity, even during waves of emotional response and episodes of physical pain. After all, presence IS you, and because it's what you are its always here. As you become more and more familiar with it on a conscious level you will begin to feel it in all situations. And when it seems to disappear it really hasn't, it's just being overlooked because attention is temporarily focused elsewhere. As time goes on a portion of attention remains centered on presence as you interact with others and perform activities. This is an organic process, something that happens all by itself in a unique way for each person.

I thinks it's because my mind rises to ask the question, awareness is experienced and mind retracts and then mind reaapears to answer "YES"

What do you think Kiki ?

I think you are spot on.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
kiki

Postby bobdylanfan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me Kiki, it's very helpful to get some clarification on this whole new way of living and experiencing life.

I wanted to ask you when you said that you can get lost in awareness , what did you mean ? I understood that this was kinda the point, that we wanted to visit awareness as much as possible and spend as much time there as possible ?

Love
bobdylanfan

Postby bobdylanfan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Here's a vid describing the question and what happens. He says when going to sleep ask the question and it's not necessary to answer it this time, I think he suggests this so you can stay with presence as you fall asleep.

http://youtu.be/j4nDvnzhg6o
bobdylanfan

Postby kiki » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:56 pm

I wanted to ask you when you said that you can get lost in awareness , what did you mean ?

I mean that you can become so absorbed in the silence and stillness of being that your outer life completely withers away. I feel that since we are in this world we can fully embody the inner life while simultaneously engaging in the outer life, and seeing everything as one undivided whole. In other words, it's about living a balanced life. Prior to awaking people live an unbalanced life because they are completely unaware of the deeper reality. Later, when that reality is discovered, that unbalanced life can shift in the opposite direction. Still later on as one matures, there comes the balance between the two as you re-engage with the world while remaining anchored in stillness.
---
kiki

Postby ashley72 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:07 pm

I do a similar thing where if I'm having a conversation with someone, my attention can abruptly lose focus from listening to them speaking. I suddenly become more self conscious or self aware all of a sudden. It this state I can feel suddenly anxious & awkward as wel. I can focus back to the conversation but it generally affects the quality of the conversation because my mind wandering does follow where it should.
ashley72

Postby bobdylanfan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks Kiki, yes I can understand that, I had an experience last weekend where I felt very disconnected from my friends and couldn't really understand what they were saying , but when some music came on I was totally in the moment and swept up in euphoric bliss and appreciation. I think it's maybe good to take it slow and ease into this new way of life as I see I have a tendency to want to sprint full speed ahead instead of enjoying the leisurely stroll. Here's another vid which describes what we re talking a it quite well ( you may need headphones to hear it)

http://youtu.be/rvdT9NTP8kI

Much appreciation my friend , speak soon

Love
bobdylanfan

Postby bobdylanfan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Ashley I can also relate to this and it's similar experice to when I used to have panic attacks and had something called depersonalisation where you spend so much time in your head you kinda lose yourself . I think there was a thread about this , maybe you were involved with it. Anyway recognising presence was the only thing that stopped me from having panic attacks and even when I was having them I could still remain present and that cut all the worry stories short, which the panic needs to survive.

Let me know if I can help in any way
bobdylanfan

Postby ashley72 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:45 am

bobdylanfan wrote:Ashley I can also relate to this and it's similar experice to when I used to have panic attacks and had something called depersonalisation where you spend so much time in your head you kinda lose yourself . I think there was a thread about this , maybe you were involved with it. Anyway recognising presence was the only thing that stopped me from having panic attacks and even when I was having them I could still remain present and that cut all the worry stories short, which the panic needs to survive.

Let me know if I can help in any way

Yes, stayng present arises. But the most important action you do is stop labeling the output signal or response as dangerous. In other words, if I sense my heart miss a beat, I don't then label that missed heart beat as life threatening or dangerous , because if I do my heart will palpitate or skip a beat again... Which in turn causes more fear & palpitations.

Being present itself isn't a cure. You become more present or attentive to other things when you stop being consumed by irrational fears. In other words, you can't just be more present because you want to ignore fear... you embrace your fear by not labeling it dangerous anymore & this allows presence or our awareness to become free to observe new things. Having no fear is bliss. But it only arises when you treat or label everything as good or neutral... That is enlightenment. But unfortunately there are dangerous things so you have to be cautious to some extent. But it's important to try and look at things positively "the cup is half full" rather "the cup is half empty"...
ashley72

Return to Questions