Does the Unmanifested, The Source, God really exist inside u

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Does the Unmanifested, The Source, God really exist inside u

Postby Leon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:41 am

Does the Unmanifested,the Source, God (Eckhart's words) really exist inside us?
Freed from religion
Leon

Re: Does the Unmanifested, The Source, God really exist insi

Postby rachMiel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:29 am

What do you think?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Leon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Tolle starts with very practical advice about how to control the mind, discontinue thinking, avoid the past and future. I found this advice immensely helpful and I am very grateful to Tolle. But then he invokes the supernatural to create the concept that he calls either the Unmanifested, the Source or God. Since I don't believe in the supernatural, this causes a problem for me. I can quiet my mind due to his advice, but I cannot seem to tap into the Source. I would be grateful for any views on this question.

Leon
Freed from religion
Leon

Postby rachMiel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:24 pm

A teacher of mine put it something like this:

The ground of being cannot be found or grasped. Look for it, and you won't see anything but mirages. Reach for it, and you'll find nothing but empty space. But it is, ultimately, all that we are.

Imo the best way to feel/know the source is to surrender to the flow of life.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:17 pm

I don't believe in the supernatural, this causes a problem for me.

Long held beliefs can sometimes be hard to penetrate, especially if thoughts on the contrary cause a "problem" for you. My son and his gf do not believe in anything spiritual whats so ever. They are "persons" in their view and nothing beyond this. I have tried a few times to talk to them, to no eval. In my view, they simply aren't ready and I'm not one to force feed.

However, since you asked, my view is that you are what remains when what you percieve, believe, feel, think, ect. Is seen clearly as not you, but some form, even if a subtle form. If it comes and goes, in time, it is not what you are ultimately. What you are is changeless, timeless and formless. This is usually done by meditation, inquiry, ect., it doesn't come one way, so whatever path works for you is the right way, for you.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:26 pm

Leon wrote:Tolle starts with very practical advice about how to control the mind, discontinue thinking, avoid the past and future. I found this advice immensely helpful and I am very grateful to Tolle. But then he invokes the supernatural to create the concept that he calls either the Unmanifested, the Source or God. Since I don't believe in the supernatural, this causes a problem for me. I can quiet my mind due to his advice, but I cannot seem to tap into the Source. I would be grateful for any views on this question.

Leon

'Supernatural' is just a sense of separation from a quality of natural not yet understood. It's much a matter of how one chooses to define 'natural'. I don't believe in supernatural either. What I have is an largely inclusive view of natural.

If you see Source or God as supernatural you may simply be seeing through a limiting individualized perspective. One might argue that seeing one's self as separate from Source and from each other is what is really supernatural, and that we as the human race have been living in a limiting supernatural perspective for a long time. Tolle's reference to Source is not supernatural in his perspective. It is supernatural in yours.

I'm not trying to make issue with Tolle being right and you being wrong, I'm only suggesting that you explore the fundamentals of what determines what natural actually is. Tolle gained his great insights that have inspire so many by opening to a greater consciousness -supernatural by some definitions- than his own perspective at the time.

If the truth about our nature and being is to be considered natural, then false imaginings about our true nature is unnatural - maybe even super- or beyond natural. So maybe opening up to a greater understanding of what may be natural would be productive and enlightening. It was for Tolle and a whole lot of others. Consider, we either know all the answers as we are, or we yet have understandings to learn. If there is more, can alignment and reliance on internal guidance be a Source of quality insight? As always the truth will set us free.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Leon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 pm

To rachMiel, dijmart, and Webwanderer:

Thank you very much for your beautifully expressed and thought provoking answers to my question about the Unmanifested, the Source and God. I will do as Webwanderer suggests.

Leon
Freed from religion
Leon

Return to Questions