How to stay productive in external realm?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How to stay productive in external realm?

Postby freedompresence » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:15 am

Hello, recently I've been feeling quite "different." It feels as if I feel I have no control. No solid stance but kind of like hovering in the air. It feels kind of uncomfortable and uneasy at times. And I'm not sure if it's because my ego is diminishing and my ego is fighting back to get a solid stance, thus I feel very uneasy and uncomfortable because of diminishment of my ego. Because a lot of things that used to matter do not seem that significant. I do not mind this new experience or new feeling...even the uncomfortable feeling that I'm experiencing...However, what my concern is that I do not feel the urge to get my daily tasks done. So I'm not sure because of diminishment of ego that I do not have the urge to do any of my daily tasks but just "chill," or is it just my laziness,,,whatever it is...if it is because of my initial exprience of ego diminishment that I do not have the strong urge to get my tasks done like I used to, then how do I stay productive while my ego is diminishing?? Because daily tasks are still needed to be done at least for "external survival" purposes. I mean I can just drop everything and just sit on a park bench and look at the nature everyday, but I cannot do that if I have a little boy that is dependent on me lol. I still have to get my daily tasks done. Thank you.
freedompresence

Re: How to stay productive in external realm?

Postby freedompresence » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 am

Well, either way...I realized it's all ego..I can recognize this is all ego. Before proper action is taken.....I noticed all this fear,,wanting solidity,,,searching for "relief" through whatever,,,for an example entertainment, music, youtube,,,spiritual writings,,,spiritual video clips,,,ego wants the solidity,,the relief,,,giving me more stress and anxiety to identify with ego,,keep telling me to search for physical and mental relief,,,find that "mental peace" "mental centeredness",,figure out the solution to mental problems,,,it's all ego speaking....as I'm sitting here I can hear the "voice" of ego...ego giving me speech in my head,,,ego giving me emotion,,physical reaction to those emotions,,,physical reactions to mental thoughts...searching for solidity...searching for a rock..a ground.. when the "nature's way" is to just flow...like water..
freedompresence

Postby lmp » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:25 am

I find this difficult or challenging too.
lmp

Postby lmp » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 am

To put words on it I think along these lines.

Action based on thought can be efficient, goal oriented, planned. It is the old way. When the plans are carried out, completed, and there seems to be nothing more to do, there is leisure. At the same time this 'there is nothing more to do' can be felt to be boring, unsatisfying, lonely and much more.

Action based on perception is immediate, spontaneous, joyous, innocent, responsible to factual circumstances. It is the new way. It can be felt to be more fleeting than something based on duty, planning.

I think as life moves on in this way that a vision of what to do and a new platform from which to do it becomes more important. Because besides enjoying the park bench there is a natural urge to live together, to help each other out.

What do you say?
lmp

Postby lmp » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:09 pm

I didnt see your second message when I replied, I didnt notice it.
lmp

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi FP,

What you describe sounds similar to some things I experience - a sense of things becoming liquid as a physical sensation. It was quite destabilising at first and felt uncomfortable. Over time I've learned through experience that letting go into these sensations allows the discomfort to resolve and be let go of. It feels to me like Life is trying to help us let go of the dense perceptions that we hold. The more we hold on, the more uncomfortable it becomes. Learning to let go seems to be the lesson of this for me. The more I let go the lighter I feel and the more comfortable and secure this previously frightening place becomes.

It sounds like you're doing great learning to move through this challenging period. I wish you all the best with it.

Love
EnterZenFromThere

Postby freedompresence » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Thank you. This time I am a little more acceptive of what I am experiencing instead of quickly running back to "solidity" or ego, I am "seeing" this experience in a more friendly way at the same time still trying to function in the "external realm" without having that "egoistic" mindset of "I gotta get this task done. This is a battle." Instead of searching for identity, emotion and physical reaction from motivation to get my task done, I am simply trying to get my task done as a daily ritual without much ego attachment to it. For an example, as I was doing a daily ritual yesterday, my ego was telling me all these impatient mental noises of how frustrating and boring and futile this task is, and that I should feel frustrated and annoyed and have hard time finishing this task,,,and I simply kept on going and considered it as practicing patience,,,and the task itself didn't seem such an uphill. :D
freedompresence

Postby dijmart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:52 pm

As Tolle said, it's usually not the situation, but what thought tells you about the situation, that causes the misery. You don't have to believe nor entertain, those thoughts, as you are seeing. When you realize you had a negative thought (which is usually in hind sight), just say "well, there's that pesky little negative thought. Oh-well, now what was I doing?"..and hit the delete button. Poof, gone! Because every single second is a new, NOW moment to be able to start over again. :D
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby freedompresence » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:00 am

More and more I got into this spirituality...more confused and lost I feel. I don't know how both external realm and internal realm can be in balance that we can function well both internally and externally. I felt more "sure of myself" and knew how to deal with difficulties in the external realm. Even if it may cause mental pain I can produce good result and "fight" through external situation and be tough in this external world. But as I got more into spirutal realm I see that diminishing and I feel like I can't function well in the external realm as I become conscious of ego. Recently I experience more feeling of confusion and lostness, depression, hopelessness, lack of energy, insecurity, pain, anger as I delved more into spirituality. I feel so weak and vulnerable in the external world. I don't know how to function well dealing with external situation. I don't know what to do. I'm becoming a big mess in this external realm...I was more sure of my "self" but now I don't know how to properly function in the external world. I'm more sensitive, more vulnerable,,,,,and can't function. My firery passion is gone. My strength is gone. My certainty is gone.....I don't know what to do. When I lived with my ego I was more sure. I could function. Now I lack motivation. I can't even get things done that's important for survival. I feel depressed, vulnerable, insecure, weak, and lost.
freedompresence

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:51 pm

It sounds like your resistances are coming up - the darkness obscuring the light of your truer self. This is very common - myself and many others here have/are going through this too.

Fear is a choice - always a choice. You can choose fear as you face these difficulties. You can choose to recoil and hide. This is your choice. Or you can choose love. You can choose peace. You can accept these feelings, thoughts and behaviours in the moment they arise. You can watch them come and go while resting in the peace of your being and see that these things are not you, nor do they have any hold on you - unless you choose to cling to them, as you have for so long.

This is an opportunity to let go, and, in doing so, embrace a fuller and lighter mode of being as human here and now. This is your choice, and, as this process has begun in you, you have already chosen. All you need do is relax, let go and enjoy the torrential ride of the cleansing experience that is your experience here and now. Choose to enjoy and it will be yours. Be gentle and accept your own pace of progress - everything that happens to you is for you and perfect for you in the moment it happens. Embrace and accept that and let go and move on.

<3
EnterZenFromThere

Return to Questions