Oneneness and nothingness

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Oneneness and nothingness

Postby trickybilly » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Hello to the forums, nice to be here :)
My question is:
If we recognize the One, that means we are all connected. I can say for example "I am the computer monitor in front of me, I am the tree outside, I am the moon shining on the sky, etc. I am everything" . I can affirm "I am all and all is me". My question is what is "Not-Being" or "Nothingness" (zero). I can say "I am One", but what to do with a statement like "I am not" or "I do not exist"? If you say "I am One" and think that both "Being" and "Not-Being" are included in the One (since it encompasses everything) you can both say: "I am" (I exist) and say: "I am not" (I do not exist). What to do with a statement "I do not exist" part? How to understand "nothingness" (Not-Being, Zero) ?
trickybilly

Re: Oneneness and nothingness

Postby randomguy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:08 am

Hello trickybilly,

"I do not exist." Is it true? Does it feel true?

The one is sometimes called the "one without another." Why make the one into two; existence and non-existence? Is it anything more than a thought that non-existence must be true?

what to do with a statement like "I am not" or "I do not exist"?

Recognize that it is a thought. Observe that all thoughts come and go to what you are.

If you say "I am One" and think that both "Being" and "Not-Being" are included in the One (since it encompasses everything)...

It's a trick question you pose to yourself. The question divides the one into two and uses parlor trick logic pretend that the conclusion is meaningful. All it serves is reinforcing the importance of thought as the source of truth. Truth is already what you are.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby trickybilly » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Thank you for your answer. I have a question about it. You say:
randomguy wrote:Recognize that it is a thought. Observe that all thoughts come and go to what you are.
...reinforcing the importance of thought as the source of truth. Truth is already what you are.

If one affirms "Thought does not exist" how to convince that person of the opposite? To convince him you must prove the opposite. Suppose one sticks affirming "thought doesn't exist", what is his redemption then?
trickybilly

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:03 am

It's difficult to convince someone of a clearer perspective when they are strongly invested in a favored one. Saying thought does not exist seems a bit curious since it invites a thought process to consider it, not to mention the thought process to adopt it. It's always a risk in life to focus ourselves into perceptual corner that we refuse to turn from because of the emotional attraction to one's investment.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby randomguy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:02 pm

trickybilly wrote:If one affirms "Thought does not exist" how to convince that person of the opposite? To convince him you must prove the opposite. Suppose one sticks affirming "thought doesn't exist", what is his redemption then?

Does affirming a statement make it true? If someone convinces another that an idea is true does that mean the idea is true? When I was a kid my brother convinced me that ladybugs are poisonous. People are convinced of nonsense every day. What does oneness have to do with convincing others of ideas? Oneness is a description, a word that only points to what is seen in the absence of holding to false notions, thoughts and thought-experiences, that tell a story of a "me" separated from a rest of totality. In the absence of the weight of the story of separation it can be described as "one" in contrast to the experience of multiple, though no description is ultimately true. There would be no value that I can see in convincing anyone ideas about it. The value is in the discovery.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Return to Questions