Observing thoughts

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Observing thoughts

Postby ninjakale » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:31 am

Hi again (lots of questions from me lately, thanks for all the other answers).

I'm having some issues related to observing thoughts. Whenever I meditate and realise that I've drifted off (or even if I'm at work and I decide to observe my thoughts) and I bring my foucs back to my breath and try to observe my thoughts, my mind goes blank. The only thoughts that appear are the ones that I "force".

It's like I decide that "hmm, I really want to observe some thoughts, but there are none here - guess I should make some." and everything just feels - well, forced.

There's plenty of emotion though, but they feel much "larger". Like they encompass all of me, rather than bubbling up one at a time, and thus feel too big to "observe".

I know this all sounds very intangible, but I'd appreciate any input. :-)
ninjakale

Re: Observing thoughts

Postby kiki » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:07 pm

The whole point of observing thoughts is to see and then realize that they aren't who you are, that you are, in fact, the observing awareness. The fact that you KNOW emotions are there is enough evidence that awareness is present as well.

As far as "forcing thoughts" go, that implies you are the author of what arises. Is this true? Find out. You may think you are, but if you look closely you'll discover something quite revealing. So, if you think you are then investigate this entity and determine just who it is. Locate the "thinking" entity. Where is it, what is it? How is it determined which will be the next thought? If you are the author of thought stream, it must mean there is a "chooser" of every single thought you have. Is this the case?

On the other hand, there can be the simple allowing of thoughts (as well as everything else) to arise and dissolve again, and be ever more observant of the first impulse of thought formation. At this more subtle level of observation it is often the case that the mere seeing of the first impulse of a thought forming is enough to dissolve it, leaving you resting in/as awareness. There is no need for anything beyond that. So, rest easy with whatever is unfolding.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Re: Observing thoughts

Postby ninjakale » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Thank you very much for the reply, Kiki!

f you are the author of thought stream, it must mean there is a "chooser" of every single thought you have. Is this the case?

I'm going to try and root this one out in the coming meditation sessions, I'm excited about what I'll discover. :-)
ninjakale

Return to Questions