Who am I and why it's not helping my depersonalisation

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Who am I and why it's not helping my depersonalisation

Postby sunjet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:07 pm

A little background of myself. I have general anxiety with panic attacks for about 14 years, now i'm 26. 3 years a go I had a huge stress which triggered depersonalisation/derealisation. Since then I read alot of books how to get over it, and i'm progressing, feeling alot better, no more panic attacks, a very low anxiety level BUT I still feel detached from the world, I still feel odd.

I read some Eckhart teachings, and understood that I must stop identifying with my thoughts and myself that I've created in my mind. It helped a bit, but if I let go of the ego and i'm not identifying with my thoughts about who am I, Who really am I? On what aspects/forms/thoughts/actions I must create a image of myself? Or I must not create any kind of image and just OBSERVE? In that case what makes me different from others

And why letting go of ego and thoughts doesn't help so much with feeling ODD/detached a bit from the world. It's like some form of existential crisis. Maybe I forgot how i must feel, maybe I had for so much time anxiety that I'm identifying with my "normal" from past before I felt anxious. I'm very confused about all of this. I really need some help to understand how to get out of this feeling of detachment from the world.
sunjet

Re: Who am I and why it's not helping my depersonalisation

Postby dijmart » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:30 pm

I really need some help to understand how to get out of this feeling of detachment from the world.

I do not think this is for you right now. You need traditional therapy first and for most imo, then when you have recovered from this disorder of depersonalization come back to it. This (nonduality) may make you feel more detached in the beginning and cause you more harm then good at this time, not to mention the confusion that usually comes with it for many. Probably not a good idea right now, but that's just my opinion.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Peath » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:19 am

Take a break from the introspection and thoughts about your past for a moment. Remember, we're creating our lives as we go, and our ego is simply a tool to be used.

Ask yourself: What do you want? If your life was exactly as you wanted it to be, what would you see, hear and feel?

I'm not suggesting you overindulge in dreaming about the future, but a little steer in that direction might be what you need. Take twenty minutes to fantasise about how you'd love to spend your remaining years.
Peath

Postby alex » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:45 pm

I can see you must be feeling super confused! It's ok - I'm sure we've all felt a fair bit of confusion along the way. I know I have.
You could try gently steering away from trying to see who you are not (un-identifying) and steer more towards feeling what you are right in this moment. Feel your presence right here and now, it's quite unavoidable, the fact that you already are.
It's soothing to close your eyes in a quiet place and just say "I am" in your head and then feel the presence that you are.
Hugs x
alex

Postby ashley72 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:25 pm

No you don't need to detach from your thoughts.... and it's not possible to detach from your thoughts anyway!

Depersonalization is basically an acute form of anxiety, but also easily treatable with the right exposure therapy.

Sufferers use "avoidance" to overcome the unpleasant sensations... which is the root cause of depersonalization.

What you need to realize is that the sensations of fear or nervousness is not dangerous nor life threatening, but merely a nervous response (unpleasant) but completely harmless!

The way to overcome depersonalizations is to recognize you are putting gasoline on the fire by continuing to avoid the nervous sensations or feelings that get triggered during an anxiety attack. These feelings are normal and you need to stop trying to avoid them by using avoidance as a way of coping.

By exposing yourself more & more to the nervous feelings and staying with the unpleasantness until it subsided, you will stop the positive feedback loop from activating. It takes time, but it does work to alleviate a panic cycle which can cause depersonalization.

Consider this => http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/the-surprising-cure-for-social-anxiety-20151025-gki819.touch.touch.html
ashley72

Return to Questions