Why is the word 'Namaste' used?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Why is the word 'Namaste' used?

Postby chesterking » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:43 pm

Why is the word 'Namaste' used? I thought buddhists use a different word for good bye. Namaste is a hindu word.
chesterking

Re: Why is the word 'Namaste' used?

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:09 pm

What does it matter that the word is of one origin or another?

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Why is the word 'Namaste' used?

Postby Being » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Many times when listening to Echkart's Powers of Now, I often hear him state how "worn out" words can be like negative triggers. Examples he gives are the terms "God" - "Christ" - "Religion" and so on. Many of these words have been used to inflict as much pain as they have been used to profess freedom.

I find the word Namaste as shallow, pretentious and worn out as I do the millions of new age concepts, old text's and whatever marketed teachings that abound. Having said that though, what matters is how I receive them. To me, I am more sensitive to the tone in which such words are used ... as too ... the ongoing actions or inaction of those using such "words" and their all too often agendas.

I like how Echkart presents words as nothing more than sign posts. - I simply change the signs into a form that I can better understand. The more I practice with such concepts, the more I dissociate from the triggers that once caused me great pain and confusion. I can now find my way along said path with greater ease without having to continually trip over my prejudices. I guess it's all part of the process - the signs are always changing ... I much prefer not to look back. Only when worn out words require that I must further feel.

In this light, I feel the sign posts matter very much. How we view and alter them. Even Echkart will resign as he touches with various words, however he makes a good lesson out of it as he does. I love how he goes over the same things, but rewords as he goes along. It's not a topic that can be easily twittered.

Words can be used like a trinkets, or convey profound meaning; however it would seem to me that their context is always changing. I much prefer to change sign posts that trigger negative responses within me. Echkart has helped me do that, whilst keeping me on track and heading in a direction that works for me.

This was a great question. TY
I often struggle with such language.
Being

Return to Questions