Separating between thoughts and knowledge

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Separating between thoughts and knowledge

Postby ninjakale » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Hiya.

I'm wondering how you guys separate things you inherently know from things which are just thoughts in your mind? I'm having a hard time separating the two. When I'm trying to see the deep connections between my thought patterns and emotions, and I think I might have the answer - how can I know that answer isn't simply just another thought? What I'm trying to ask is how can we know that we know something, rather than it being just a product of our mind?

In essence: how can we separate constructs of the mind from real, true knowledge?

Hope that made sense - thanks for any replies!

Peace.
ninjakale

Re: Separating between thoughts and knowledge

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:59 pm

ninjakale wrote:In essence: how can we separate constructs of the mind from real, true knowledge?

By going beyond mind and thinking. How does it feel? Consider the term 'that doesn't make sense', or 'that makes sense'. Why do we use the term sense? Sense is a feel of our thought processes and we inherently know that is a truth guide. What does an idea or thought feel like when you're not thinking about it or analyzing it? Does it feel expansive, or does it feel constrictive. Do you like the feel, or do you feel resistant?

Emotions are little different in that they are more spontaneous rather than underlyingly present at all times. They are however, very useful guides to the quality of our beliefs which were born in thought. Negative or painful emotions indicate that there is something amiss with how we are viewing some condition or event at present. Appreciative or joyful emotions indicate we are closer to alignment with our greater nature that is clear on the essence of life.

Practice and learn to rely on your feeling nature. Time will improve your understanding of its messages. It is a far better guide to truth than our conditioned mental analysis.

Now, my question to you is: How does that comment feel? :wink:

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Separating between thoughts and knowledge

Postby lmp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:51 pm

ninjakale wrote:Hiya.

I'm wondering how you guys separate things you inherently know from things which are just thoughts in your mind? I'm having a hard time separating the two. When I'm trying to see the deep connections between my thought patterns and emotions, and I think I might have the answer - how can I know that answer isn't simply just another thought? What I'm trying to ask is how can we know that we know something, rather than it being just a product of our mind?

In essence: how can we separate constructs of the mind from real, true knowledge?

Hope that made sense - thanks for any replies!

Peace.

I don't know if 'I know' in an inherent way, it's more like there are two roads and knowing that one of them leads to various kinds of trouble it becomes less interesting.

What I have learnt is that to 'open up the mind', the thoughts, is very beneficial. What I mean specifically is that thought tends to 'argue with life' and to push life away leads to suffering. It's a simple concept but hard to let in, thought/knowledge tends to clench your/my mindy like a fist, and if so every single bit that is you, will follow, clench into a fearful, painful, orchestra of resistance.

When instead the mind opens up, when it does not insist on psychological patterns, then the senses open, we see and hear more clearly, feel more. Once the senses open, the emotions follow, they go with the senses and become correct and accurate. Our being then opens up to our actual experience naturally, we come alive with the moment instead of closed in abstraction/psychological knowledge.

Then our thoughts turn into positivity, they go with perception, not evaluation/knowledge, planning an outcome. And so forth, it's a positive development that begins to open.

So in a sense it's easy to tell how knowledge narrows down our experience in a unhealthy way. Perhaps its harder knowing what to do about it, if anything, it seems to me that the two roads are already there, we can just walk/experience/observe one or the other.
lmp

Return to Questions