Why do I hate Fire and brimstone preaching so much?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Postby jtightlips21 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:02 am

I really just cannot stand people preaching hellfire, divine vengeance, or making judgments on people different from their way. Like someone preaching that gays(in their terms sodomites), those of different religions, or some other matter saying they are going to hell. I have noticed this with Fundamentalist Christians and Muslims. Yet, I just hate when people preach eternal damnation. And I especially hate when people preach who is going there, and that only a select few will go to heaven.

I know that in reality, hell is only a temporary self imposed state and a kind of purification. In fact, I am a believer in Universal Salvation, which means I believe that eventually everyone will be saved at some point. But I have been wondering if the whole need to identify with a belief system, the same way an infernalist may. I did have a bad experience with infernalism, where I felt horribly anxious all the time. But at some point I found Universal Salvation, and the whole bible basis and found whole parts of the bible, and stuff I never knew was even in the bible. So I think I fear not identifying so strongly with universalism could make me vulnerable to infernalism.

I justified it by citing violence, intolerance, authoritarianism, and draconianism within society, like Al Quaeda, the Spanish Inquisition, witch burnings, the Westboro Baptist Church, ect. But it seems like thinking back it was only an excuse for not coming to grips with personal unconsciousness.
jtightlips21

Re: Why do I hate Fire and brimstone preaching so much?

Postby the key master » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:56 am

jtightlips21 wrote:I really just cannot stand people preaching hellfire, divine vengeance, or making judgments on people different from their way. Like someone preaching that gays(in their terms sodomites), those of different religions, or some other matter saying they are going to hell. I have noticed this with Fundamentalist Christians and Muslims. Yet, I just hate when people preach eternal damnation. And I especially hate when people preach who is going there, and that only a select few will go to heaven.

I know that in reality, hell is only a temporary self imposed state and a kind of purification.

Ok.

In fact, I am a believer in Universal Salvation, which means I believe that eventually everyone will be saved at some point.

What do you mean 'be saved'?

But I have been wondering if the whole need to identify with a belief system, the same way an infernalist may.

You see infernalists questioning the need to identify with beliefs? I see infernalists as those in alignment with a path of least resistance that allows them to make deliberate value degrading choices toward conditions a certain group may desire.

But at some point I found Universal Salvation, and the whole bible basis and found whole parts of the bible, and stuff I never knew was even in the bible. So I think I fear not identifying so strongly with universalism could make me vulnerable to infernalism.

Identification causes irrational ideas about feeling vulnerable, because the ideas folks believe are always vulnerable.

I justified it by citing violence, intolerance, authoritarianism, and draconianism within society, like Al Quaeda, the Spanish Inquisition, witch burnings, the Westboro Baptist Church, ect. But it seems like thinking back it was only an excuse for not coming to grips with personal unconsciousness.

Yea but you become personally unconscious because of collective ideology and the inability to maintain an ideal personal identity in accordance with how the world (especially these rascally humans) wants you to be, which is intricately tied to what is personally unconscious and what is allowed conscious attention. Witch burnings, and the reason why people burned witches, really does tie into why folks become unconscious, and how that unconsciousness is embodied.

This is another way of saying the person does not become personally unconscious. Consciousness loses consciousness of itself through imagining separation into existence, and then imagining it's a component of its own imagination.
the key master

Re: Why do I hate Fire and brimstone preaching so much?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 am

Why indeed.

I really just cannot stand people preaching hellfire, divine vengeance, or making judgments on people different from their way.

isn't this kind of in the same vein? - making judgements on people different from your way?

The energy you're employing and articulating in thoughts and words = giving it energy that gives it 'life'.

hatred breeds hatred - what would happen if you loved them with the understanding that we are all just doing our best with what we have in terms of awareness, capacity & willingness.

then you are giving energy to love, rather than hatred.

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

You will notice more things that are in the same energy 'frequency' as yourself. If you are holding/creating 'hatred' you're merely linking into the energies of hatred and separation as that's the frequency you are tuned into - you can change the dial - but only for your self. It may be that others decide with your change of energy to also change theirs, but it's not within your capacity to change it for others.

It's the same for those you 'hate'.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to Questions