Too young to be conscious?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Too young to be conscious?

Postby Jay07 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:16 pm

Hello,

I apologize if this sounds like a silly question. I was on this forum a few weeks ago, and someone mentioned on an answer that it could be to do with his age why he is finding it hard to be fully conscious and practice presence... The person used an example where Eckhart actually said he would never of been able to be "enlightened" before the age of 30, and that its hard for young people as the ego is so strong.

I am in my early twenties and I've had little experiences where I have managed to reach no-self but I am trying to continuously practice it. I would like to know if you think that younger generations would find it more difficult? Or if it is better to wait?

Would Eckhart still suggest practicing it?

Any replies would be helpful

Thank you
Jay07

Re: Too young to be conscious?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:16 am

I have two diametrically opposed answers to this
- one is you cannot put an old head on young shoulders & life experience teaches us best.

The other is if we are eternal beings no one is actually 'young' and we're all here having whatever experiences we're attracted to.

Eckhart actually said he would never of been able to be "enlightened" before the age of 30, and that its hard for young people as the ego is so strong.

This was ET speaking for ET - I've met young ones whose ego is not that strong, and they could have taught older hard heads a lot :wink:

As with all things, take what resonates for you and leave the rest. You may come back to it, you may already be past it....
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Postby randomguy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:36 pm

How old does one have to be to earnestly investigate ones nature? How old does one have to be to be open to a new way of thinking and to notice what has not been noticed before? That's the core of it.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby Jay07 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:55 am

randomguy wrote:How old does one have to be to earnestly investigate ones nature? How old does one have to be to be open to a new way of thinking and to notice what has not been noticed before? That's the core of it.

So are you saying the core is that one can be any age?
Jay07

Postby viking55803 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Elkhart often says that suffering is a great teacher, and I have to say that the experience of suffering (physical pain, emotional pain, loss of loved ones, failure, disappointment etc.) seems to go along with living longer. That being said, it is also my experience that the learning, discipline, and practice of my youth gave me enough wisdom to benefit from the lessons of suffering.

In theory, it has nothing to do with age. Consciousness is ageless, which is what makes it timeless. You may have heard older people say that when they look in the mirror they are sometimes surprised to find an old person looking back at them. I am the same consciousness I have always been, not the form (body) that ages.

You are here, my friend, and that matters a LOT!

Gary
viking55803

Postby DavidB » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:59 am

Anybody can live consciously at any age. It simply means being aware of what we are doing, what we are thinking and how we feel. Presence is the same as being. Being means consciously doing. Consciously doing then becomes a living meditation.

Wisdom however, comes from experience, knowing what works and what does not.

I suggest simply live and enjoy life, be in every moment and forget about becoming present. You are already present of course, you simply don't realize that yet.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Postby Onceler » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:42 am

From my point of view, being young is a benefit. It has taken me quite awhile to undo the effects of a fear driven life, and it is still a work in progress. I believe a younger person has less behavioral and cognitive patterns to unwind.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Return to Questions