Can't become present while wearing glasses

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Can't become present while wearing glasses

Postby MEPS1996 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:09 am

Hey guys,

I realise that this seems really silly, but around 3 months ago, I started to develop resistance to my glasses, in particular, the feeling of my glasses on the bridge of my nose. This has actually got really bad recently, to the point where I even find it difficult to focus on simple things, or interact with people, while wearing glasses. I think this stems from thoughts that having to wear glasses 'taints' my experience of life in some way, since whatever I do in life, I will always have this nagging sensation on my nose, so my experience of life is 'impure' in some way, as weird as that sounds. Most of the resistance created can actually be felt as a intense tension in my cheeks which is always present while I have glasses on, and whereas I can usually dissolve resistance felt in other parts of the body by putting full consciousness into it and accepting it, I find this very hard to do for my cheeks and face, so the tension just stays there all the time. Can anybody offer my any advice on becoming fully at ease with a present moment which involves me wearing glasses?

Thank you
MEPS1996

Re: Can't become present while wearing glasses

Postby kiki » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Go to an optician and have your glasses tuned up so they fit you better. Perhaps a different frame with lighter weight lenses would help.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby MEPS1996 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks for your reply kiki. I realize your advice seems like the most practical solution, but I have already tried many frames, all of which trigger the same tension / resistance pattern. I also feel like even if my frames were very uncomfortable, I still should have the ability to be at peace/present with this sensation also. As soon as I put glasses on, there is a massive tension in my face and the only way I can remove it is to remove the glasses. It feels as though the resistance pattern surrounding glasses has built up such momentum that it is now automaticaly triggered and impossible to escape, no matter how hard I try to become present. Do you have any tips on removing resistance from the face?
MEPS1996

Postby kiki » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:10 am

I assume you've considered contacts and laser surgery and for some reason those aren't doable. My only other practical suggestion is to try some intentional tensing of the entire face and then releasing the tension. Contort the facial muscles in as many ways as you can, holding the tension for several seconds, and then let go of the tension and relaxing. Do this for a minute or so. Perhaps by doing this you can reacquaint the muscles to what relaxation feels like when wearing glasses.

If nothing works, then what you are left with is acceptance of the situation. What won't work is inwardly railing against it and wishing it weren't there. So, think of this situation as an exercise in acceptance. Good luck.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Return to Questions