How to watch the emotions and thoughts.

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How to watch the emotions and thoughts.

Postby Nenar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Hello there everyone!
It is so nice to find such community as yours!
I decided to look for one, because currently I have a question. A rather easy, but very hard also.. The question is: how do I watch my thoughts, my feelings, emotions, without using mind?
Lately I started catching myself being afraid to watch some of the emotions, or being afraid to watch them closely, may be because I had an experience, when I tried to watch the emotions, or thoughts closely, but just deepend in analysing them mentally and got completely lost.
Nenar

Re: How to watch the emotions and thoughts.

Postby the key master » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Explain to me how you cannot watch your thoughts and feelings. If you weren't already watching them, you wouldn't even know you are thinking and feeling them, right?
the key master

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:01 am

Nenar wrote:The question is: how do I watch my thoughts, my feelings, emotions, without using mind?

Through awareness. In other words, be aware of the content of consciousness without analysis or definition - which are mind functions. Mind and awareness are not the same. Mind is more a mechanism where awareness is more perception. Consideration is a blending of the two.

Lately I started catching myself being afraid to watch some of the emotions, or being afraid to watch them closely, may be because I had an experience, when I tried to watch the emotions, or thoughts closely, but just deepend in analysing them mentally and got completely lost.

Emotions are a gift from Source. It doesn't matter which emotions, they are all wonderfully valuable. Some are a lot more fun than others, but that is the point after all. Consider the qualities of alignment. When one is aligned with their true nature love and joy abounds. Emotions are indicators of alignment. When we are having emotions of anger or frustration or fear or a host of others that we don't like, they are telling us we are perceiving the moment in a way that is out of alignment with the way our true nature perceives it.

Recognizing this distortion offers us the opportunity and cause to consider new ways in which to perceive those momentary conditions. When we open up to more inclusive possibilities our emotions change. That doesn't necessarily mean we will be instantly happy as that may be too big a reach. It does mean we can move in a direction that is preferable to the conditions we are in. Understanding inclusiveness over rejection is key.

There is no right or wrong in this context, only the experience we have based on how we relate to and perceive conditions.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby viking55803 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:45 pm

I would offer a simpler notion: conscious awareness is attention. It's not important whether or not this is a function of mind. Thoughts, feelings, sensations are the "forms" as Tolle likes to say that attention or focus can be directed to, but it is the attention itself that is consciousness. Thoughts as forms are easy to identify since they tend to be narratives, or stories: patterns of words and mentally created images that are strung together and tend to pull our attention along. Pretty soon, we are "lost in thought." Instead, we want to be our attention, be our awareness. Analysis and judgement, as you describe them, are thought processes: I shouldn't be feeling this or that, I need to be balancing my checkbook or I might bounce a check, what is that pain in my abdomen - is it cancer?

Watch a dog or cat. See how their attention or conscious awareness wanders from here to there. Imagine having no words, simply observe. Most of the time, humans live pulled along by thought forms, we become addicted to thinking.

Hope this helps. In some ways this being in the present moment stuff is so simple we miss it completely.
viking55803

Postby Onceler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Nice, Viking.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Nenar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Oh, thank you all for answers!
I didn't come here because I thought my question was not published, I thought that I will get an email about it.. Does not matter, I just misunderstood something. :)

What I wanted to ask is, I have a kind of depression. I have the same emotions (unhappiness, feeling tired, not wanting anything) coming all the time, the thoughts may be different, but emotions are the same. It is happening for about 3-4 month. I was trying to understand where I do a mistake. Definitely I do something wrong. And I thought that my "watching, observing" my emotions and thoughts may be not correct. I am watching it, but nothing really happens with the emotions.

Webwanderer, I liked what you wrote about the emotions, never thought about it this way that "Emotions are indicators of alignment". So again in this case I do a "mistake" somewere... I just cant figure out were..

Actually writing all this I also feel like I dont know what I am talking about.

Also wanted to add, that after I wrote here on saturday, than I tried a new thing wich came to my mind. I told myself: I am tired of this depression, I am so tired that I can say to it - you no longer exist. For several days it worked, today some bad feelings from that depression arose again, but I think I could watch them. At list for now they seem to have gone...
Nenar

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:14 pm

There is actually a kind of scale of emotions. Generally speaking it's too big a leap to go from depression to joy. It's quite rare that such a leap can be made. It is possible however to make a small step up. If you're feeling depressed, get angry. Anger feels better than depression and is a step in the right direction. If you're angry tune into frustration. Frustration, while not fun, is better than depression or anger. If you are frustrated, focus on hopefulness. Feeling hopeful is certainly not joy but it is better than frustration or anger. If you are hopeful it's only a step to feeling optimistic. Once optimistic, it's only a step to being appreciative. When you feel genuine appreciation, joy is within reach.

Life is going to include any and all of these emotions over time. Learning what moves us from one to the other, the nature in which we focus our attention and the way we apply meaning to the circumstances of our life, is key to positively effecting our life experience. Take it one step at a time and explore how the meanings we apply effect the way we feel.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Nenar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Webwanderer, thank you so much! This method seems to be promising, especially the last part, about watching what moves me from one emotional level to another.

Thank you everyone for the answers, it is really very supporting!!
Nenar

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Glad you found something. Just to be clear, in watching what moves you from one emotional state to another, it's not about what's out there that's most worth watching, but what's in our own thoughts that's most valuable.

Best wishes.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to Questions