What does "thought" mean exactly when Tolle says it's Ego?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: What does "thought" mean exactly when Tolle says it's Eg

Postby dijmart » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:04 am

Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:13 am

Thanks for the link. What came to mind as I listened was something Lao Tzu said. He said the Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao. He then went on to write extensively about it.

Tolle says he doesn't give it much thought, but then speaks quite clearly on his perspective about the nature of life and being as being greater than the physical body. Seems he gave it some thought at some time. Maybe he simply no longer gives it much thought because his understanding is sufficient.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Mystic » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 am

Mystic

Postby Fore » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Webwanderer wrote: I don't know how anyone, especially such a considerate thinker as Tolle, not give any thought to such a pervasive subject. Maybe there is more in the context than the isolated quote suggests.

Being/experiencing death does not require additional thought added to.
Fore

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Fore wrote:
Webwanderer wrote: I don't know how anyone, especially such a considerate thinker as Tolle, not give any thought to such a pervasive subject. Maybe there is more in the context than the isolated quote suggests.

Being/experiencing death does not require additional thought added to.

Is requirement necessary to interest? My point was that Tolle demonstrated that he has indeed considered the nature of death by his insightful comments about the greater nature of being. To say he 'doesn't' give it much thought does not suggest that he hasn't thought about it. My sense is that when one begins to recognize the exploratory/adventurous nature of the human experience within a greater world of conscious being, there is less concern about the specifics of death in favor of the present opportunities of human living.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Fore » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Interest is wanting, wanting to know about death is akin to heading in the opposite direction. Rather than merely experiencing death from one moment to the next without this wanting. As Tolle has done this, "he" has experienced death. But you cannot know or understand this, but simply be this aware presence.
Fore

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 pm

Fore wrote:Interest is wanting, Rather than merely experiencing death from one moment to the next without this wanting. As Tolle has done this, "he" has experienced death. But you cannot know or understand this, but simply be this aware presence.

Your premise "interest is wanting" is a non-starter for me. Maybe your context is not clear. Do you mean wanting to know more?

...wanting to know about death is akin to heading in the opposite direction.

Death seems pretty simple. I'm more interested in life - on both sides of the transition called death. There's certainly ample information to study on the subject. An open mind and fair consideration helps.

And I can't say I understand what you mean by 'heading in the opposite direction'.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Fore » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:08 am

Yes, interest is wanting to know more. The trouble is you cant know death, just as you can't know happy. You can simply be happy. You want to know life, study life understand life, rather than be life. What can we possibly know about life that will reduce ego? What don't you understand about being happy?
Opposite direction is creation of more ego rather than being in presence.
Saying "you want to know life" I am simply speaking in general.
Fore

Postby Mystic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:15 am

Fore wrote:Yes, interest is wanting to know more. The trouble is you cant know death, just as you can't know happy. You can simply be happy. You want to know life, study life understand life, rather than be life. What can we possibly know about life that will reduce ego? What don't you understand about being happy?
Opposite direction is creation of more ego rather than being in presence.
Saying "you want to know life" I am simply speaking in general.

This is true, the ego(self concept) always seeks to add to itself and it is the identification with form. Death to identification with form is acceptance of what is and is being. Animals and plants are in a pre-egoic state of consciousness as they experience being with very little ego. Humans have more developed egos and they go through awakening. After they go through awakening they become like the animals in the pre-egoic state but are awakened to a dimension of something like wisdom ...that is mostly without the internal(negative) thought compulsions.

To rise above thought. Animal minds are below thought.
Mystic

Postby postwins » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:27 pm

When Eckhart and other teachers speak about egoic thinking, they're not talking about planning a trip or writing a computer program. They're talking about the other 99% of the time.

In this moment, many phenomena are occurring. Your body, the entire contents of your mind, your emotions, your computer, cars, dogs, solar systems, etc. If your "true nature" is NOT a phenomenon, then what is left? The answer is simple but it cannot be put into words or thought or it will immediately be wrong. Words and thought can only describe phenomena.

What does this have to do with your question? It's about realizing that the entire construct that is wondering about whether or not his/her thinking is egoic is not actually what you are. The construct continues on, and you use the useful bits to help you take good care of your life and the rest might as well be birds chirping. Of course any decision to act is necessarily egoic, but the decisions can be made while remembering your true nature. As far as decision making goes, ask yourself, "Which decision will be taking the best care of my life?". This will usually be the hard decision. Choose that one, and when the resistance comes, remember TOOPINAP - The Occurance of Phenomena is Not a Problem.

This is what is actually happening right now. You don't have to really do anything to MAKE it happen. It's more about recognizing that it's already exactly what's going on. I personally spent a lot of time looking for the phenomenon called "no phenomenon". It didn't work out.

Good luck with your spiritual explorations!
One problem, one solution.
postwins

Previous

Return to Questions