What is Conscious Maturity?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

What is Conscious Maturity?

Postby jtightlips21 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Frankly what is considered maturity shares more traits of the collective ego, while the individual ego is seen as immature. So basically what I often see purported as maturity is a kind of pseudo-selflessness. Basically I have noticed this means 1) Minding to everyone elses business except your own, 2) choosing duty and conformity over happiness and self will, and 3) A sense of over thinking judgmentalism and reductionist ultra-rational version of reality.

I find that people dont want to grow up because of the way maturity looks. I see this especially with the Millenial generation, where they put on the image of pseudo-maturity, but still have the individualist mindset. Not to be offensive, but take the posed engagement and marriage pictures. I can see that people want to put on the image of looking like a committed couple, but I can strongly sense a need to show off. Or another example is how I see the modern day young people think about their job, putting on the image of the ideal employee, but all the while resenting the whole corporate culture.

So I can see why people never want to grow up when all they see is a life of boring uniformity, self righteous judgmentalism, a low view of the individual, divisions with ingroup and outgroup, and a world without mystery or wonder. So this does not really come off anywhere close to any legitmate selflessness, only self hate and seeing lifeless abstractions as superior.
jtightlips21

Re: What is Conscious Maturity?

Postby rachMiel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:34 am

Nicely said.

Maybe this explains why I won't "grow up." ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: What is Conscious Maturity?

Postby smiileyjen101 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Me three :wink:

Although there is 'neoteny' - mature but retaining child like qualities. (originally a word for some species of frogs I think, but I liked the idea).

The child like qualities that we choose to retain is totally up to us :D
And, there is a difference between child-ish, and child-like.

Some of the qualities I choose to retain include curiosity, diversity of experience, learning as I go, authenticity, honesty, free to laugh, free to cry, work is play, relationships vibrant, attention immediate.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com
smiileyjen101

Return to Questions