Getting the hang of inquiry

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Getting the hang of inquiry

Postby Marty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi all.

Something clicked for me whilst watching this Rupert Spira video:

https://youtu.be/iW9kvq1qeAw

In it, he talks about asking the question "Am I aware?" instead of the usual "Who am I?" as a method of self-inquiry.

After asking "Am I aware?" I had a flash of insight, and have been able to feel a sense of awareness that feels more real - the common metaphors of 'the cinema screen that stays the same no matter what is projected onto it' etc. make sense in that moment of insight.

Now, where I could use some guidance is in learning how to use this method practically in further realising my awakening. The feeling of insight only lasts extremely briefly, I don't really know what to do with it.

Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated.

M
Marty

Re: Getting the hang of inquiry

Postby rachMiel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:21 pm

I enjoyed this video and found the approach to being aware of awareness simple and effective.

Normally, we are aware of objects: a tree, a thought, a feeling in the body.

But being aware of awareness feels different, almost as if there was no object being "aware'd" ... just awareness, looping back on itself.

In terms of what being aware of awareness can "be used for" vis-a-vis awakening ... maybe that's something that each of us needs to discover for ourselves, by aware-ing awareness regularly and observing the results.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby bobdylanfan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 am

Hey Marty I remember finding that same video and it kept me flying for a few months I found it very useful and still ask myself that question from time to time as it's a instant touchdown everytime. I found over time that I actually missed the sigh of relief feeling i got from completely resting as awareness, for me that is the ultimate feeling of coming home. But each to their own, it definetly works and puts you in touch with this undeniable presence. I found that the more Ii asked the question the more established I became in this presence and I didn't have to ask the question anymore but still naturally came back to completely relaxing. Hope this is helpful brother and congratulations on discovering that question, it's a goodie :)
bobdylanfan

Postby Onceler » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:57 am

Try, 'how does it feel to be me?'
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:18 pm

I've always liked "What am I?" The context is quite different from "who".

WW
Webwanderer

Postby rachMiel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Nice. :-)

I like: What am "I" ?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Return to Questions