Helping a suffering friend ?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Helping a suffering friend ?

Postby bobdylanfan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 am

Hello again guys I really appreciate all your advice and feedback on this forum and would love to hear any advice you can offer dealing with a troubled friend. I have a very close friend who has had some episodes recently, possible bi polar or schizophrenic related. He was sectioned and then released and is living with me for a month. I really love this man and he has a heart of gold and he is really suffering at the mo. I have suggested meditation, yoga, energy work, therapy but he seems kinda stuck in this place. I want to help him as much as I can but realise he has to want to help himself, as much as I care for him I find him quite draining to be around, I realise I'm quite sensitive to people's energy. How can I help my friend whilst protecting myself and my own vibe? I relax into awareness alot but still get drained by him. Thankyou xx
bobdylanfan

Re: Helping a suffering friend ?

Postby dijmart » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:46 am

Don't be codependent, that's what's draining you. Look it up on google. You come first, then you can help someone else, if you choose. Mental illness is not an easy fix, your friend will have to put in the work (therapy, medication, etc) to get well enough to then be able to possibly meditate or whatever.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby bobdylanfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Thankyou buddy I've spoke wih him and recommended a therapist, I really hope he's gonna take it on board as he's such a nice dude
bobdylanfan

Postby dijmart » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 pm

bobdylanfan wrote:Thankyou buddy I've spoke wih him and recommended a therapist, I really hope he's gonna take it on board as he's such a nice dude

Hopefully he will, but maybe he wont...be ok with it, either way.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby DavidB » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:52 am

My best friend from high school developed paranoid schizophrenia when he was about 20. After trying to help him for about 15 years, sadly, I eventually had to cut off contact. I haven't seen him for about 10 years or more.

Unless these people take their anti-psychotic medications regularly, and have a healthy awareness of their illness, they can be very difficult and even impossible to treat/help. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

Good luck.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to Questions