Open eyed meditation

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Open eyed meditation

Postby AECH » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:49 am

Hi

I've been recently trying open eyed meditation and I've noticed that I usually blink a lot or I can't look steady into an object. I was wondering if that doesn't disrupt the process and if it does I would appreciate some tips on how to prevent this. Thank you.
AECH

Re: Open eyed meditation

Postby kiki » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:49 am

In zen they use an open eye approach, but with the eyes half open, gaze downward a short distance from where you are sitting and unfocused. Blinking is OK; forcing yourself to do anything isn't wise, including not blinking.

The goal isn't to stare at what is in front of you. That will only create strain. Just let the eyes remain "soft", as though you are looking through what's in your line of sight.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby AECH » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:52 am

Going to try that in today's session, thanks!
AECH

Postby kiki » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:57 am

By the way, welcome to the forum.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Return to Questions