starting depression or pain body attack?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

starting depression or pain body attack?

Postby aldean » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Hello everybody,

since a week I have been overwhelmed with negative feelings. The trigger was seeing a musicshow with teenagers performing.
I myself am 28 and this reminded me of the fact that those youngsters have their whole life with oppurtunities ahead of them.
I myself kinda didn't achieve anything great in this world. I kinda totally failed in life. I guesse this triggered jealous feelings.

So the problems started after that music show. I had a pain body attack (I think). There were enermous depressed feelings and those feelings
penetrated my thinking. Causing me to view the world in a very negative way. I myself am familiar with Eckhart's work for quite a while. So,
very soon, I was thinking is this a pain body attack? I knew what to do with this feelings and the answer was: accepting this moment just as
it is. (I thought). So when there were negative feelings in my stomach, I said to my self, can I let those feelings be there, without me
resisting it.

This helped me to suffer less. But now it's a week further. And I'm still having pain body episodes. I'm afraid that this is not
just a pain body attack, but I'm falling into a depression. So what should I do? Should I continue with watching and accepting this
negative feelings as they come in the present moment? I hope I'm on the right track with dissolving the pain body. But because this
pain body (negative feelings) is staying so long, I'm afraid something went wrong.

Can somebody comment or have some advise?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings Aldean
aldean

Re: starting depression or pain body attack?

Postby Webwanderer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:42 pm

aldean wrote:I myself am 28 and this reminded me of the fact that those youngsters have their whole life with oppurtunities ahead of them.
I myself kinda didn't achieve anything great in this world. I kinda totally failed in life.

Answer this question: Why did you come into this human life? If you can't answer this with genuine knowledge and understanding, then you are not qualified in your present state of mind to make a self judgment of failure. You just aren't that aware and neither is most everyone else. The criteria for a successful life has qualities beyond most human perception. Life experience has value - all life experience.

Consider this: life begins now. It always has and it always will. What matters is not what happened before, it's what you choose to focus on now. Because what ever that is you will empower. We live naturally in a state of abundance. Yes, even you. What most people don't understand is that there is no right or wrong from the larger perspective. So one can have an abundance of pain and suffering and it's okay. It's just another type of experience. Pain and suffering are legitimate experiences that have value in our greater reality.

The thing is is that you choose, either on purpose with intent, or automatically by conditioning and habit.

This helped me to suffer less. But now it's a week further. And I'm still having pain body episodes. I'm afraid that this is not
just a pain body attack, but I'm falling into a depression. So what should I do? Should I continue with watching and accepting this
negative feelings as they come in the present moment? I hope I'm on the right track with dissolving the pain body.

You cannot dissolve the painbody. What you can do is make it irrelevant by being okay with it when you feel pain or fear or depression, and going on with your life. As you learn to be okay with it, it looses the energy of resistance and focused attention. Over time, if you continue with it being genuinely okay to feel what you feel, it will dissipate on its own out of the neglect of feeding it energy. But you cannot kill it, you can only give it life through focus of attention or let it die in neglect. Being genuinely okay with it is key.

Understand, your painful arisings have all the power you have given them and will likely persist for awhile, maybe a long while albeit with less frequent arisings. That too is okay. Otherwise you feed it. It's like a plant that you don't water. It can go dormant for quite a while, then it gets watered and it comes back to life. Know this is how it works and its outbreaks will be more manageable.

Meanwhile, develop an interest in the things in life that you like, things that bring a smile to your face and an appreciation to your heart. Cultivate and feed these things and they will begin to show up in your life with greater frequency. Again it's like tending the garden of your life. Those things you nurture will grow, and those things you neglect will recede. Most people don't know it's that simple. Now that you do know, you can choose; and choose you will - by intent, or by habit. Have an enjoyable day. It's just a choice.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby aldean » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi webwanderer,

Thanks for the reply! It really helps.

I have another question. When I am home alone and just sitting on a chair I find it easy to observe and accept any negative feelings that arise. But what do I do when I'm in a social situation. When I'm doing something else I find it harder to accept or watch the negative feelings that are there. When I'm in a social situation and the pain body is active I feel I can't be my normal happy self. I'm just in a sad mood and aren't the best company at the moment. I'm afraid that people will notice that I'm a bit sadder than usual. And actually because I find it harder to give attention to the negative feelings when I'm busy, I also suffer more from it, because my acceptance power is lower then when I'm alone and doing nothing.

Do you have any comments on this? (or anybody)

Thank you, it's appreciated

Aldean
aldean

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:52 pm

aldean wrote:I have another question. When I am home alone and just sitting on a chair I find it easy to observe and accept any negative feelings that arise. But what do I do when I'm in a social situation.(?)

The best you can. And that's good enough - unless you choose to believe it's not. It's your choice.

Look, you have been entrained to respond in the ways you do through a lifetime of practiced thought and active engagement with the conditions of life. We all have our entrainment that influences our actions and behaviors. If you know and acknowledge that the emotions you have, and the fears that arise, are feedback on your own belief creations, you can take steps and make choices to move beyond them. See them for what they are, be okay with painful experience if it arises, and simply choose another approach.

Just don't make a big deal out of it. It's not - unless you decide to see it that way. And you can always change course and decide it's not that important. Be single minded about it. And if you slip, just get back on course. It's only as big a deal as you make it. Make negative arisings irrelevant. This is about reconditioning your perspective and world view. No one can do this but you. And you can if you choose to.

There's no need to be afraid going into a social gathering that such emotions may arise. Be okay with it if they do. It's just a kind of conditioned habit. Then just know you can and will look for ways to have fun, and then choose to act on those fun options. And there are always options to find a better energy to explore.

Don't worry about watching negative emotions. Why would you want to focus on that when you could be having fun. Ignore them, don't feed them with your attention. Choose to focus on something that is more fun. Experiment, explore, take some chances. But for God's sake don't judge yourself for trying to have some fun. It can be a little awkward at first. Be willing to laugh at you gaffs. We all make them. Always remember this: Life is far too important to be taken seriously.

Laugh at your foibles. Appreciate your joys. Acknowledge the the best in life - and in whatever happens there is value to be found. Choose to see it and you will. Within you is all the power you need. It's always active and just needs your focus and guidance to recreate that which you prefer to be.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby letitgo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Hello Aldean,

I try to start very polite, compassionate conversations with those negative energies. It helps me recognize them as separate from me. It's usually something like, "I understand", or "that must be very difficult to accept". Becoming a compassionate bystander helps me to sink back into myself and kind of, be the big brother. The analogy of a plant that Webwanderer used was perfect for this scenario; you might not be able to adequately address the situation in public, but at least you don't have to feed it. Then later in your quite times you can feel your way through the situation again and let go a little bit at a time.

I think you're doing great to be able to ask theses questions and have an understanding of what's happening!

Sincerely,
Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
letitgo

Return to Questions