Gratitude and a question

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Gratitude and a question

Postby bobdylanfan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:24 am

Hey guys first of all I just wanted to say a massive thankyou to everybody that has contributed some wisdom and advice on my personal posts and everybody else's. It's immeasurably helpful and encouraging to have support and insights on what is quite an intense and unfamiliar journey sometimes. Really appreciate it!

I also had a question about dealing with emotions and thoughts, I ve noticed from resting as awareenss recently that social anxiety has come up a lot and I've never really noticed how often it can be there. I've realised up to this point I have been almost trying to rest it away, as in I will notice it and be like shit here it is and shift my focus to awareness which then almost evaporates that thought. Which is great right :) But I've also seen that I can notice that anxious thought and sensation and just be with it without describing and that also means it will pass quite quickly. Is it essentially the same thing, your just being present with that description?

Also is it maybe helpful to find the root cause of that social anxiety through therapy which could help to identify it and maybe let it go?

What's your experinces, thanks a lot
bobdylanfan

Re: Gratitude and a question

Postby Fore » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:53 pm

The root cause is that when this anxious sensation arisesyou are reacting towards it with desire. A desire for it to stay or a desire for it to leave.

I am taught that being aware and equanimous are the to wings that move you along the path to end suffering.
Fore

Postby bobdylanfan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks for your insights fore I realise this is what I've been doing my whole life. Even when I wasn't consciously noticing social anxiety I was definetly reacting to it, I would leave the room, ask questions, drink a beer. Whatever would help me not feel it. When I discovered resting as awareness I felt that relief each time I shifted my focus and hoped that one day I would outshine it, I still wonder if that's true. I've seen the last few days I have just noticed that uncomfortableness and not done anything with it, I saw that in that moment of feeling it I had the choice of whether to get lost in it or not. I chose not and I was still here, I was still ok, I felt like a huge victory. Maybe it was just the resistance that made it persist up till now. However is this still not an avoidance of some sort, I'm avoiding the uncomfortable feelings by not indulging them?
bobdylanfan

Postby Fore » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Your not avoiding quite the opposite your sitting with them and observing them. Avoidance is taking your attention away from them with a beer etc...
Fore

Return to Questions