Non reaction vs being passive /submission

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Non reaction vs being passive /submission

Postby VALENTINAG » Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 am

Hello, I have been reading Eckhart Tolle for some months now. But there's something that it's causing me some trouble. I am a beginner, but I would rally like to keep going with this, I don't want this to stop me.

I learned to become a passive person my whole life. There is people who literally comes into my office without knocking the door, people who ignores me when I talk to them. Yes. I don't feel terribly about it, I'm kind of accepting it without judging me, and I want to do something to change it, BUT when Eckhart Tolle talks about the non reaction, it kiind of confirms me the idea that I should be keeping silence and not talk at all. I grew up in an environment where defending myself from lies or anything was a sign of rebelion, so this is added to the fact that a sign of peace is staying quiet. Does it mean that I should simply not talk at all? To defend a point?, to disprove something?, to ask for respect? I know it should be obvious, but my story doesn't let me see it that way. I am a beginner, so I really need help.

I also have been in therapy, so I don't think it's going to help me, I am sure what Eckhart teaches is the truth, because it touches the root. But my mind refuses to accept it, and deep inside I feel that's the correct thing to do.

Anything you could say, I'll appreciate ir so much. Thank you for reading it.
VALENTINAG

Re: Non reaction vs being passive /submission

Postby TemporalDissonance » Wed May 11, 2016 4:47 am

Hi Valentinag, welcome to the board. :-)

This is my personal perspective, so please take what is of help and discard any or all of it if it doesn't apply.

From my understanding of Eckhart's "non-reaction", he is pointing to those instances when someone - through their egos - purposefully elicit a "response" such as the start of an verbal argument or a fight. In many usual circumstances, our own ego would jump at the opportunity to respond to "defend" a particular point of view. With "non-reaction", Eckhart is suggesting that we do not react right away to everything that egos (whether our own or others) throw at us.

Think of it as a ball game. Someone throws you a ball, but you have every choice to choose not to catch the ball or throw it back. You have all the freedom in the world to do whatever you so desire with the ball. The key thing to remember here is that you always have a choice. You can choose whichever is right for you. You don't have to do whatever is "expected" of you by anyone else.

However, remember this "non-reaction" is not a blind ticket to be passive or to be submissive just for the sake of being "non-reactive".

You have the choice.

If action is required after taking time to reflect, then take action. Who you are, is worth all the love in the world and no one should be allow to take that from you.
TemporalDissonance

Re: Non reaction vs being passive /submission

Postby VALENTINAG » Wed May 11, 2016 10:06 pm

Thank-you, TemporalDissonance, It should be obvious, but it's not -.-

I will have that in mind =). Thank you so much for reading and helping me with your comment.
I will keep reading in the forum.
VALENTINAG

Return to Questions