Depression? no choice but to be absolutely caught

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Depression? no choice but to be absolutely caught

Postby Kierankio » Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi guys. I hope somebody can give me some advice, I feel at the end of my tether. So I felt like I awakened spiritually 2 years ago whilst in California. It has not been an easy ride since, I am only 22 years old. Since returning back home to the UK 2 years ago, I feel like I haven't been able to fully integrate back into society, lots of fear and thoughts and great doubt arising etc, however there have been a few periods where I have felt great wellbeing and a connection with spirit through mediums such as music. Well anyway, since January I have been in a state of chronic depression/anxiety/OCD after a major loss, it feels like the pain body has become so intense, it is almost as if my inability to handle fear has put me in a state of depression, and guys I just can't find a way out. I have seemed help from eckharts teachings, but nothing seems to be pulling me through. Psychotherapy has only worked temporarily. I listened to a video once where adyashanti says that this could be 'the darkness before the dawn' after a lot of conscious work on oneself. The crux of my issue is compounded as I have exams coming up and university feels as if it would be a great place for independence and growing both in the outer and inner world, however this depression (not really sure what to call it) is having other ideas, is this the pain body? I have had feeling of suicide due to the intensity and high stress of life right now, I am struggling guys, any words will do.

P.s would you recommend antidepressants? I have tried taking them but reacted adversely, I felt like they stopped me from feeling my inner body. It feels like my only option left. Thank you
Kierankio

Re: Depression? no choice but to be absolutely caught

Postby DavidB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Many years ago, when I had depression, I tired antidepressants and found they had no effect. They may work for some people, but they definitely didn't work for me. This though just made me work harder to find inner peace and contentment, as the pain, suffering and despair I experienced was a powerful motivator for transformation and transcendence.

We can all be gurus when we sit in an ashram meditating, practicing inner peace, comfortable and contented, unperturbed by the usual commotion and momentum of every day life. The real test however, is to maintain inner peace and tranquility while under pressure and distracted, by life's expectations and demands.

Don't worry if you can't do this yet, this comes with practice and understanding, which for most of us, can take quite a long time. Just keep it simple, don't sweat the details. Know the only thing that is really important is your state of consciousness. Being at peace is the only thing that matters. Everything else is secondary. We learn to be at peace by learning to accept what is, as it is. We be at peace by not minding what happens. If we cannot be at peace, then just accept that we cannot be at peace right now. Accept that we cannot accept. And that is enough for now. Allow everything else to evolve from that. :D
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Return to Questions