The Ego and Fear of Death

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

The Ego and Fear of Death

Postby jtightlips21 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:26 am

I could not help but wonder if in modern Western Culture, the fear of Death is grounded in Egoism. I think that our current medical system is a testimony that has a death denying and death defying attitude. Yet, in reality, I have not been overly impressed with the results of modern medicine, as common is that many just live unhealthy lives. A secondary testimony is the general money worship, treating it as a kind of waters of life.

This could not help me from thinking that the Ego is much responsible for the irrational fear of death. In our culture, we try to cover up death by keeping the dying process in hospitals and nursing homes, and bag and embalm the deceased into making the deceased look like porcelain dolls. I cannot help but wonder if sub-consciously, we fear having to face the truth about the Ego and consciousness. Since I know it can be scary to think of being above and not defined by space, time, matter, thoughts, feelings, and ideologies.
jtightlips21

Re: The Ego and Fear of Death

Postby Mystic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:43 pm

According to the law of attraction, fear of death is also a wish for death.

The ego is thus a death wish, it is the wish to be what you are not...

So the ego is the wish for self creation AKA self definition.

All definitions are interpretations ...and interpretation is uncertainty(fear).

You can be certain that you are.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj said "the 'I am' is certain. The 'I am this' is not."

Go about your day, chop wood and carry water and meditate upon the I am.

:D
Mystic

Re: The Ego and Fear of Death

Postby Zazen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Yes, it's true, we hide from death. But take your idea a little further. We close our eyes to a lot of things. We even hide from life.
Also- don't generalize, look at what YOU hide from.
How many times you find yourself in the middle of a conversation and if you just relax in the moment, you find you were holding a lot of tensions? This happens everyday in modern life, whether activity we are doing.
Staying present will help you see a lot of things that aren't as you thought they are.
Zazen

Return to Questions