BEING PRESENT OR ACTING/DOING?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

BEING PRESENT OR ACTING/DOING?

Postby cami3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:55 am

Hi!!! ive been reading A New Earth which helped me a lot in understanding the ego. However theres this question ive been asking myself while reading and its been bothering me. When i get sad i dont focus on being present, i instead act. For example i say "ok ill do some yoga, and exercise, and run and eat well and do this and that and ill plan things i can do in the future so i can feel well". This makes me feel really good?? but Eckart Tolle says that you should just be present to find the happiness??? which is alright and ive tried it before and it also works?? but doing stuff you love also makes you happy??? Im not sure if i phrased this right because im kind of confused as you can see!
cami3

Re: BEING PRESENT OR ACTING/DOING?

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Doing the things you enjoy does not necessarily mean you are not present. Being present means to be conscious of what ever it is you are doing, what ever is present in conditions, rather than spinning stories in the mind. Too often we are lost in cycles of thinking while missing the experience of the moment.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: BEING PRESENT OR ACTING/DOING?

Postby Admiral Akmir » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:33 pm

Adyashanti said something that really helped me to put things in perspective. To paraphrase, he said something along the lines of "Awakening is not about being happy all the time, it's about seeing the truth of things. The truth is not always pleasant, it's not always fun to see."

Many, if not most people come to the teachings to get away from their suffering, and eventually learn the hard truth that it simply doesn't work. You cannot ride the coattails of someone else into enlightenment, you can't read someone else's experience and copy it. The teachings point in a direction. I can point at a restaurant in the distance and tell you about the wonderful food there, but you cannot share that experience just because I talked about it. You have to walk there, and you have to sit down and experience it for yourself. And when you do arrive there, you will not have the exact same experience that I described. If I hadn't pointed out the restaurant in the first place, would you still have gone? If you hadn't read Eckhart Tolle, would you have started thinking about these things? You see, you are on a path, the books are not instructions for how to be, they are instructions that are pointing towards something.

Recently I was on a walk, and my mind was filled with thoughts of violence and destruction. I thought about this and wondered where it came from. This is the way my mind has worked for as long as I can remember. I had been hurt emotionally as a child, and my solution back then was to imagine hurting the people who had hurt me. I realized that although those times are long gone, the mechanism is still there. I realized that even if there is no one to hate, my mind will create a fictional drama to fill that void. I focused on the present moment, and I dwelled on the fact that I am an adult now, I am no longer stuck in a situation out of my control. Those times are gone, and I'm safe, and surrounded by stillness. The mechanisms from back then still remain, and that's fine, it's just how it is, I see it for what it truly is. Do you see the difference? The danger is that we read the books, and try to copy, and this is not the correct path. We cannot read Tolle, and become Tolle. The best thing to do is to start on a journey to see the reality of the world around you. The truth is not always fun, it is not always nice, but it is always interesting and eye opening.
Admiral Akmir

Return to Questions