Is it normal to feel unconscious during an ego death

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Is it normal to feel unconscious during an ego death

Postby jtightlips21 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:48 am

I have noticed a sense of being stuck in a lack of consciousness, where it seems like there is no reality outside of what can be intellectually grasped. This is not the first time this has happened. This happened three times before, due to being stuck at a level of unconsciousness, with each time having a gradual or dramatic shift in consciousness. Usually this is a period of anxiety when I cannot find an intellectual answer to a deep question, such as about God, Eternity, the Afterlife, Infinity, or the meaning of existence. I know from experience that these questions can never be satisfactorily answered and only create more confusion and questions, with messy paradoxes.

Sometimes it seems like consciousness above thought is just a copout and escapism from the harsh and inescapable reality where bliss, joy and love are only illusions. Sometimes it seems like being in the now is just a denialism of an uncertain future, and at best blissful ignorance, instead of truth.

Over the last two years after a period of anxiety over the possibility that we were under an evil God, I felt guided to the ascetic path as a way to strip myself of all egoic thoughts and feelings, with a rejection of anything I deemed finite, earthly or judgeable. So my main focused was on ultimate detachment in order to attach to something beyond thought or judgment. However, I am beginning to see that asceticism can be just as egoic. Yet I find that any doctrine, even apophatic doctrines, such as formlessness, immateriality, or detachment are all potentially egoic as cataphatic affirmations. For one example I can think of is trying to imagine Eternity as either Endless Time, Timelessness, or all spaces and times all at once(moreso in a confusing and disorganized way).
jtightlips21

Re: Is it normal to feel unconscious during an ego death

Postby Oceanborn » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:06 pm

It seems like you try to understand everything by using your mind. Your true self, our true self is beyond anything we can imagine. Death of the ego is the birth of your actual self, but what you think as the death of an ego might also be something else. I also have had some suspicions about those spiritual teachings time to time. Like 'Am I doing it right? Am I on the right way?' I think this kind of questions only create confusion and it blurs our vision. Anyway, I think all of our problems will come to an end if we understand Eckhart Tolle and other teachers more deeply.
Oceanborn

Re: Is it normal to feel unconscious during an ego death

Postby jtightlips21 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:42 am

Oceanborn wrote:It seems like you try to understand everything by using your mind. Your true self, our true self is beyond anything we can imagine. Death of the ego is the birth of your actual self, but what you think as the death of an ego might also be something else. I also have had some suspicions about those spiritual teachings time to time. Like 'Am I doing it right? Am I on the right way?' I think this kind of questions only create confusion and it blurs our vision. Anyway, I think all of our problems will come to an end if we understand Eckhart Tolle and other teachers more deeply.

I think I am more fearful of letting go of the Ego. Yet on the one hand, I find being in the Ego feels very confining and boring. This reminds me of how loss of mystery makes something boring. I dont know if its just the boredom of only being able to see the surface labels and not the whole essence. Yet on the other hand, it feels like consciousness is less than thought, I dont know if its just a lack of consciousness. In reality, we still have sensual information that we process. Even in the Teachings of Eckhart Tolle, there are still a lot of more apophatic statements, like impermanence or formlessness. I dont know if these are just ways of expressing the inexpressible. Considering from another point of view of impermanence, some physicists believe that everything is currently happening, and that time passing is an illusion.
jtightlips21

Return to Questions