Separate from beauty

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Separate from beauty

Postby lynn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Eckhart Tolle and other spiritual teachers say "you are not separate from life, separate from God, separate from beauty". Through meditation practices, I've realized my being. With my being realized, I know that I'm not separate from life (I am life), I'm not separate from God (I am a unique individualized expression of God as everyone, everything and the whole universe is). But I'm not separate from beauty? I just don't get it yet. I don't identify myself with my body or my mind. I am my being, consciousness.

In my being, I can feel joy, love, peace, God. But I can't feel beauty. How can you see beauty in your being if your being is just nothing and love and joy and peace and God? How can you know that you are not separate from beauty? Typing these words right now, I just realized that I don't even know what beauty in the statement "You are not separate from beauty" means. Please shine a light on it.
lynn

Re: Separate from beauty

Postby Rob X » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 pm

lynn wrote:Eckhart Tolle and other spiritual teachers say "you are not separate from life, separate from God, separate from beauty". Through meditation practices, I've realized my being. With my being realized, I know that I'm not separate from life (I am life), I'm not separate from God (I am a unique individualized expression of God as everyone, everything and the whole universe is). But I'm not separate from beauty? I just don't get it yet. I don't identify myself with my body or my mind. I am my being, consciousness.

In my being, I can feel joy, love, peace, God. But I can't feel beauty. How can you see beauty in your being if your being is just nothing and love and joy and peace and God? How can you know that you are not separate from beauty? Typing these words right now, I just realized that I don't even know what beauty in the statement "You are not separate from beauty" means. Please shine a light on it.

I can't say that I'm familiar with that statement about beauty. Perhaps they mean that the beauty that we encounter in the world is a reflection of the breadth of our outlook. The most expansive outlook can see beauty in that which is commonly deemed to be ugly whereas a narrow contracted outlook can find ugliness and dissatisfaction almost everywhere.

In that sense beauty is not separate from us. If they mean to imply that beauty is a synonym for God or Life then I would agree that that is a bit puzzling.
Rob X

Postby rachMiel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi Lynn. :-)

To me, "beauty" in this context is synonymous with life, God, love, peace, harmony, equanimity. As with all words, it's just a pointer, not to be confused with that to which it points.

Ultimately, beauty (God, love, life) is ... all, the totality.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby Zazen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm

I've heard teachers talk of an awakening of emptiness followed by an awakening of love, where you see yourself in everything.
I assume your experience of realizing the self is recent?
Love will probably reveal itself at some point.
My experience is very similar to yours, but I still have layers of identification. Even though there is no intention to get rid of them anymore, nor violence or seeking. These patterns cannot be denied.
Watch this video, Bentinho talks a bit about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwKzHF2V6k
Zazen

Return to Questions