How do you coexist with the Ego while not being identified

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: How do you coexist with the Ego while not being identifi

Postby jtightlips21 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:42 pm

dijmart wrote:
I think I get too many paradoxes stuck in my head. Yet it seems like its nothing more than mental content, and the mind attempting to understand the big picture.

The mind won't rest until you do understand the big picture...or at least mine didnt. You need to understand what the person you appear to be is, the creator of this universe and original awareness itself and how they interact with each other. They are different orders of reality. There is the manifest and the unmanifest, so there will always be paradoxes, you have to except that at some point.

Arent paradoxes still mental content that cannot be reconciled in a rational matter? I find that obsessing with Paradox is just another form of Egoism in a more sophisticated way. If I am correct, Paradox was emphasized in early Christianity to challenge ultra-rational Greek Logic.
jtightlips21

Postby dijmart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 pm

jtightlips21 wrote:
Arent paradoxes still mental content that cannot be reconciled in a rational matter? I find that obsessing with Paradox is just another form of Egoism in a more sophisticated way. If I am correct, Paradox was emphasized in early Christianity to challenge ultra-rational Greek Logic.

It's a paradox that awareness being a substanceless substance has manifested itself into form, but it has. You may call reconciling a paradox obsessing, where I think of it as inquiry. If there's no gain or loss, its not ego, it's actually the intellect which is the discriminating faculty of the mind. Its where neti-neti happens (I'm not this nor that).

Regarding your last part, I don't know anything about that....
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby jtightlips21 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 am

I had an interesting insight into the whole matter of the Ego. I find its not realistic to try and rid oneself of the ego, such as trying to suppress, thoughts, feelings, opinions or intuitions. I find that we all have thoughts, dualisms, preferences, stories, mental images, and such. However, I am wondering if it is best to just accept the thoughts, feelings, stories, preferences and judgments without giving them any more attention than they need.
jtightlips21

Postby dijmart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm

However, I am wondering if it is best to just accept the thoughts, feelings, stories, preferences and judgments without giving them any more attention than they need.

Depends what you mean by accepting them. If you mean don't deny they (thoughts, feelings, etc) have arisen in you, then yes. If you mean accept, therefore "act" upon them, then no. Example, If you get a thought to go kick your dog, because it's been barking you can accept that that thought has arisen, but you don't act on that thought, because that would be cruel .
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby jtightlips21 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 pm

dijmart wrote:
However, I am wondering if it is best to just accept the thoughts, feelings, stories, preferences and judgments without giving them any more attention than they need.

Depends what you mean by accepting them. If you mean don't deny they (thoughts, feelings, etc) have arisen in you, then yes. If you mean accept, therefore "act" upon them, then no. Example, If you get a thought to go kick your dog, because it's been barking you can accept that that thought has arisen, but you don't act on that thought, because that would be cruel .

Pretty much.
jtightlips21

Previous

Return to Questions