How do you coexist with the Ego while not being identified

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: How do you coexist with the Ego while not being identifi

Postby rachMiel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:12 am

I understand. I once told a teacher I enjoyed the full spectrum of experience: happy, sad, pleasurable, painful, etc. I wondered whether it was "bad" to embrace the so-called negative states along with the positive. He smiled and said as long as I love these things, it's all good.

But this pure being I keep pointing to (just did in another thread with E2B) ... there's something about it ... it feels like a profound coming home ... and I wonder why it is I just go there for short visits instead of settling in?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:27 am

Maybe when you have a lot of stuff to carry, coming home takes a few trips ;)
EnterZenFromThere

Postby rachMiel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm

;-) Could be.

I suspect it's more addiction to dualistic/worldly pleasures and the thrill of being a rebel ... how could any self-respecting rebel rest happily in the bosom of their true home? Visits sure, but hang up the sword and get comfy?
rachMiel

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Francis just posted a link on his Facebook page about a talk he and Adya will be giving on the combined teachings of Christ and Buddha. He said the Christ seeks to enter into the body and disturb our comfort zone to move us into activity in ourselves and society, while the Buddha seeks to leave the body and enter the peace of the transcendent perspective. Both are required to blend within us for a full awakening to occur.

I think it's good to be a rebel and to enjoy the world Rach. Without that passion how could we ever affect change and bring humanity forward into a peace unified in Spirit? So long as people are suffering I'll keep my sword drawn and my powder dry, comfortable in the Spirit while slicing through ignorance like Manjushri's blade! (Or less grandiose words to the same effect) :P
EnterZenFromThere

Postby rachMiel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks, Jack.

Buddhism (especially Tibetan!) is filled with deliriously colorful demons whose sole purpose is to rock the boat, burn away the dross. Christ as demon disturbing us into realization ... hmm, I kind of like that! He always was a bit scary to me, all that suffering, so serious and intense. ;-)

rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi gang,
Good to see everyone and great to hear how well you are all doing :D!

rM wrote: I suspect it's more addiction to dualistic/worldly pleasures and the thrill of being a rebel ... how could any self-respecting rebel rest happily in the bosom of their true home? Visits sure, but hang up the sword and get comfy?

So true. Until we realize that worldy pleasures can't give us true, lasting satisfaction or until we realize that life is a zero sum game-- it's hard to assimilate self-knowledge. So my advice is continue to do what you are doing, enjoy all the material pursuits---but do it with awareness. When you get what you are pursuing---ask yourself how satisfied are you really? How long before you start chasing some other thing? Eventually you just hang up the sword naturally.... when you realize that happiness is illusory in the dualistic world.

rt
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:09 am

rt, hi! All the regulars, checkin' in. :-)

Why is life a zero-sum game?
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 am

rM wrote: Why is life a zero-sum game?

Because the world appears to be manifested as a duality. What goes up, must come down..etc.. If a desire is fulfilled, soon you have a fear of losing it. Life is followed by death. You just can't win. The whole thing is a set up (and I mean that in the nicest way). But one needs to see that for oneself.

rM wrote: rt, hi! All the regulars, checkin' in. :-)

See what happens when you start an interesting thread :D. Hope all is well!
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Okay, I think I getcha. If mind frames what-is as a duality, one experiences the dualistic poles (happy/sad, pleasurable/painful, etc.) as balancing each other out in a karmic kind of "any action has an equal and opposite reaction" way. This is what you're calling "life." Yes?
rachMiel

Postby jtightlips21 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:15 pm

rachMiel wrote:Thanks, Jack, for the encouragement. :-)

I derive so much pleasure from the worlds of thought and form that it often prevents me from experiencing the joy of pure being. (For me, the latter can only happen, directly at least, when the everyday pleasure-driven mind is quiet.) I don't want to give up thought/form pleasure ... love it way too much! ... I'd just like to give pure being more air time in my life.

I sometimes think the two are wholly separate things. I know its a major paradox, but I think that separating the form from the formless can be just as egoic, in creating more mental labels.
jtightlips21

Postby runstrails » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 pm

rM wrote: Okay, I think I getcha. If mind frames what-is as a duality, one experiences the dualistic poles (happy/sad, pleasurable/painful, etc.) as balancing each other out in a karmic kind of "any action has an equal and opposite reaction" way. This is what you're calling "life." Yes?

Yes. I'm referring to dual nature of the world that we all live in. The fundamental reality is, of course, non-dual.
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:05 am

runstrails wrote:
rM wrote: Okay, I think I getcha. If mind frames what-is as a duality, one experiences the dualistic poles (happy/sad, pleasurable/painful, etc.) as balancing each other out in a karmic kind of "any action has an equal and opposite reaction" way. This is what you're calling "life." Yes?

Yes. I'm referring to dual nature of the world that we all live in. The fundamental reality is, of course, non-dual.

The apparent dual nature ... if the ground is non-dual, the "dual nature of the world" is just a mirage. Agree?
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:12 am

Indeed. The manifested world of objects can be thought of as a mirage.
I am not denying that objects exist in the manifested world--just that they cannot exist independent of the fundamental reality. Therefore, they are not separate from the fundamental reality (but the fundamental reality is more than the objects, of course).
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:42 am

If yer tawkin' about brahman ... by definition it's all she wrote. Ain't nothin' nowhere but brahman (which, it behooves us to remember: is but a pointer to "something" utterly unfathomable/graspable).
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:45 am

Yup, no attributes can be ascribed to Brahman. Signing off from the skies now :D
runstrails

PreviousNext

Return to Questions