Surrendering and accepting feelings of dread

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Surrendering and accepting feelings of dread

Postby ARose91 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:04 pm

For the past year or so I have been experiencing severe feelings of dread. I had a dark night of the soul experience 5 months ago, and for the past two months I've started reading The Power of Now and watching Youtube videos from Eckhart. I'm feeling a little better, and when I finally think I've found a breakthrough, those familiar feelings of dread come back. The only thing that seems to truly help, is accepting these feelings with surrender and compassion, although sometimes the emotion seems stuck, and I can't release it, so it just lingers, which causes a lot of suffering. How can I release this trapped feeling of dread?
ARose91

Re: Surrendering and accepting feelings of dread

Postby dijmart » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Dread is a common feeling with anxiety and/or panic disorder, which would explain why you've had it for so long. Meaning, if it were just an emotion it would have been sparked by an event (thoughts) and moved on by now. Anxiety/panic tends to become chronic with many people. So, what to do? You could see it as, not Self, an object appearing in/to you, awareness or take steps to treat it. Such as cognitive therapy or medication. Antidepressants or Buspar help anxiety as well as depression. You could also make changes to your lifestyle.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby ARose91 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that this feeling of dread occurs when i'm completely relaxed, with no anxiety. I thought it might be a type of depression, but it always seems worse in the morning and improves towards the evening. I have been on medication for a long time, but this feeling of dread is very new, and persistent.
ARose91

Postby dijmart » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:49 pm

General anxiety is more diffuse in nature, doesnt have to have a clear cut cause for appearing and commonly appears in the morning, when having to face the day ahead.

How to release feelings/emotions? They are subtle objects, appearing to you, awareness. If a thought is causing them, then using a reverse thought can help, but you'd have to believe the new thought as much as you did the initial thought.

If you don't know the cause, then it may be something thats buried in your subconscious mind. This is where therapy can help dig into what's really going on in your mind. Once the disturbance is seen and understood, for what it is and worked through, then the feeling of dread will be released.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby ashley72 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Life is always constantly changing & moving in a field of flux.

You seem to be getting yourself stuck in a moment. Just accept any feelings of dread & then move your focus on some current goals or maybe start setting up some fresh goals. But moving on is better than dwelling on the momentary dread.

Be aware that positive feedback loops are operating ... in other words, a small feelings of unease... can lead to feelings of dread in a short period of time based on the output feeding back into the input (feedback loop). An example of this is when you doubt your power, you give power to the doubt.

These feedback loops are in play everywhere.

Equally so feedbacks loops can be flipped. So be more confident of your power so you can give power to your confidence!

Most people don't realize how positive feedback loops are fundamental to all regulation, including our beliefs & behaviors.

For example Warren Buffett the great investor says, to be a successful money trader... one needs to be fearful when others are greedy & then greedy when others are fearful!

If you can understand this you realize that you can make money in stocks & property by going against the herd mentality & don't fall victim to a herd stampede in the direction of panic or greed.
ashley72

Postby ARose91 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:52 am

Thank you both so much. I'm looking forward to putting your advice into practice!
ARose91

Return to Questions