How can I handle unwanted thoughts about metaphysics

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How can I handle unwanted thoughts about metaphysics

Postby jtightlips21 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm

This had bothered me at one point, several years back, when it came to those deep cosmic questions, such as Eternity, Infinity, substance, Space, Time, Spirit and matter. I remember I had an epiphany one day that these deep matters could not be understood with the mind, or be imagined. But I recall how distressing images came into my head, like Endless Time, abstract dimensions(Similar to the episode of Twilight Zone episode "Little Girl Lost"), Static filmstrip ideas of Eternity, endless expanses of Space and Time, and pictures of reality similar to quantum and relativity models. I remember two summers ago, I got really obsessed with the "Esoteric" sciences such as Einsteinian Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and String Theory to get a clear understanding of these highly abstract concepts, in order to be certain of reality beyond my own understanding. Yet the distress seems to be over demystifying reality into cluttered understandings.
jtightlips21

Re: How can I handle unwanted thoughts about metaphysics

Postby dijmart » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 am

Science is important to people, but science like people only "apparently" exist. They exist in so far as they can be experienced, but they aren't ultimately real. They change, come and go. Sure laws of the universe mostly stay the same, like law of gravity, but that's how Isvara or God has set it up, but it's still only apparently real. If you want to know your true nature, then do Self inquiry, not science inquiry. Science will keep you right where you are, stuck in Samsara.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby jtightlips21 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:35 pm

This reminds me of how the Ego sees absolutes. I find that the Ego is terrified of absolute truth, enrages of absolute Goodness, and doesnt believe in absolute beauty. I guess thats where I see in my own ego.
jtightlips21

Postby dijmart » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:30 pm

jtightlips21 wrote:This reminds me of how the Ego sees absolutes. I find that the Ego is terrified of absolute truth, enrages of absolute Goodness, and doesnt believe in absolute beauty. I guess thats where I see in my own ego.

The "ego" is just the "I-thought", but unlike other thoughts, it thinks it is real. Therefore it claims ownership and doership of just about anything.

Discrimination happens within the intellect and as a result the mind realizes it's true nature, as awareness, in this non-dual reality. As it is created from/out of awareness, the substanceless substratum of all that is. So, instead of thinking I'm this or that, the intellect can realize simply "I AM", "I exist", identifying as awareness, instead of the body/mind/sense complex it's associated with. So, when that happens the ego stops being so terrified, as you say, of the truth, because the truth isn't scary..the ego just assumes it is, because it thinks it's real. Where actually the ego, is just a thought!. Being that its a thought its also recognize as an apparent "object" appearing in/to you.

Also, both good and bad (which are just judgements) reside within you, awareness.
dijmart

Postby jtightlips21 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 pm

What is the best way to handle thoughts, as it seems like repression does not work real well. Yet they can pop up whether I want them there or not.
jtightlips21

Postby dijmart » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:17 am

jtightlips21 wrote:What is the best way to handle thoughts, as it seems like repression does not work real well. Yet they can pop up whether I want them there or not.

I will try to not speak in Vedanta terminology, as this would be confusing I suppose. However, know that without you knowing the methodology of Vedanta the explanation will fall short.

Thoughts are objects (although subtle) that appear within your scope of being. You dont really have control of your thoughts (although you think you do), the explanation for that is complicated and Vedanta explains it better then I could, but they ultimately come from Isvara/god. He is the creator, sustainer and destroyer of all that is, including the person you think you are.

Anyways, thoughts... You give them your attention or you dont. The more attention you give certain thoughts, the stronger they seem to become, because you, awareness think you're a limited person, that is the "thinker" . You're not the thinker, but you are the knower OF the thinking. You are the ordinary, limitless, attributeless awareness that all objective phenomenona, including thoughts, appear in/to...

So, what to do? Like you said, repression doesn't work, so witness the thought as it arises, is it helpful? Then place your attention there and see where it leads. Is it harmful? If so, you can just stay as the witness to this thought and let it subside without giving it more attention (fuel). If the thoughts are very fast you can say "stop!" In your mind and sometimes this will give you a "gap" between thought to remind yourself you ARE the "gap" between the thought, not the thought itself.

Hope this helped?
dijmart

Return to Questions