If I am awakened to being can my social life survive?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

If I am awakened to being can my social life survive?

Postby Maire » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Reading the work of Eckhart Tolle and also recently reading some of the sayings of Alan Watts which is along the same lines I'm wondering if we manage to quiet the mind and get in touch with our true selves in being, what happens to our social selves, if we no longer engage with trying to come up with witty and intelligent chat, no longer try to promote our ego selves, how can we relate to other people who are still building their ego and want to impress and be impressed. Do we have less need for the approval of others? Are we happier to be alone - meditating, being in nature. To answer my own question from my own perspective, I have found I can sometimes be "tuned" to higher consciousness, living just in the now and accepting things just as they are but I don't get drawn into trivial conversation in that state - this from another person's perspective might make me seem uninteresting. I'm just wondering has anyone any advice or observations on this?
I have lived with several zen masters - all of them cats. - Eckhart Tolle
Maire

Re: If I am awakened to being can my social life survive?

Postby dijmart » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:33 am

You realize you are the awareness in which Maire arises within. Maire's personality need not change for this realization to take place. Yes, socialization is often trivial, you can socialize or not. You are capable to do it or not, it's your choice. I love being alone and in quiet, but I'm very capable to be in a noisy environment with lots of people also.

You, awareness do not object to anything that appears within you. You as an "apparent" person have "preferences", but ultimately what appears is fine, it is what it is! Pleasure and pain will continue to happen to the apparent person, even if you know you are limitless, impersonal, nondual, ordinary awareness. You just know that nothing that happens can add or subtract anything from you, awareness, including socializing.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to Questions