Living without identification and other stuff

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Living without identification and other stuff

Postby Ntwarr76 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:18 am

I have recently been trying to live as just myself focusing on presence. I say recent because I have been holding on to a certain archetype with dear life. The warrior. For the last 6 years I have been using this identity as "the glue that holds my life together". Every thing I do and say is put through a warrior filter. But as I listen to Tolle and Mooji I'm starting to feel like I am over identifying with this label. The problem is I'm terrified living as a non warrior. I'm terrified of just being myself and having nothing to hold on to. How can I live a life without guidelines? A code? A philosophy?

I know this sounds weird except for maybe military personnel. I see possibile "unconscious" people everyday living a life with full confidence and at home with themselves as themselves. Here I am using a label of "warrior" to make myself feel better and give me the strength for the battle of life.

So I have been trying to use the "I am" mantra throughout the day. No labels or concepts afterward.

Anyone have any comments or a similar problems giving up all roles?

The second question. I know that Tolle seems to really push the "feeling the inner body" technique the most. Maybe it's just his favourite. But what if someone prefers a different presence technique over that one? I love feeling the inner body but I think my go to technique will be the "I am" mantra. I hope that's okay.
Ntwarr76

Re: Living without identification and other stuff

Postby dijmart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Anyone have any comments or a similar problems giving up all roles?

You couldnt give up "all" roles, even if you tried, unless you're going to go live in a cave somewhere. What I'm referring to as roles though is mother, father, sister, brother, employee, neighbor, house holder, etc. Where you are referring to a psychological role, I believe..a warrior mentality. This is optional and completely built to make the "little me" feel safe and secure, but it's a fasade, imagination. You're no more safe and secure with that mentality then another, imo.
I love feeling the inner body but I think my go to technique will be the "I am" mantra. I hope that's okay

Saying to yourself I AM" was not meant to be a true mantra where you say it over and over and over repeatedly. It's meant to be a mode of Self inquiry. Where the mind holds the thought "I AM" without allowing other thoughts to join that thought. Helping you to realize that "I AM" is the primary thought. "I AM" is you (awareness) prior to associating with anything else.

Anyways, no you don't have to feel the inner body, if you don't want to, it's a tool, nothing else.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Ntwarr76 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 pm

I get that the original purpose of the I AM technique was that of Self Inquiry but I need something! I like to use the "mantra"
I AM throughout my day to help me feel centered. Sometimes when I feel small I can use it. If there is negative emotion rising up in me and the pain body starts it's thing I can say I AM to bring me back to presence while reminding me that I am formless. Why limit such a powerful technique to a Self Inquiry session? I also seen this https://youtu.be/JeMX8--KT7E where the I AM is being used in a sit down session as, well, a mantra. It's a Kundalini Yoga Meditation if the link doesn't work.

I guess it comes down to what resonates with the individual.
Ntwarr76

Postby dijmart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 am

Where the mind holds the thought "I AM" without allowing other thoughts to join that thought.

When I said the quote above, I did not say it had to be a self inquiry "session", as you put it. But, it should be deliberate with focused attention on "I AM". It can be done anywhere.

The difference with this and a mantra is that what I described can bring about deep insight, where a mantra is used to prepare the mind for these insights.

So, mantra away...it will help quite your mind, when you've had enough of that, then start Self inquiry.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby eputkonen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Living without identification requires letting it all go of everything and having nothing to hold onto. Try first spotting the stories you tell yourself and the roles you identify with and (as best as you are able) let them go. If you are afraid, sit in that...let it burn away at you.

In the end, though, the most you can do is not identify with the roles others say you have or are. Your parents will always put you in the role of son or daughter, your boss will always put you in the role of employee...but do you really believe you are that?
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com
eputkonen

Return to Questions